• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes compact rifle scope for AR-15

joshua414

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2012
Jasper, TN
Im looking for a compact scope for my AR. The scope I really like is the NightForce 2.5-10x32 but i cant afford it. Is there anything similar to this scope in the sub $800 market. I want something small, 30mm tube and illuminated. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: compact rifle scope for AR-15

The Weaver Tactical is nice if you are willing to go with a 3-15. Its only a little more magnification on the low end 3 vs 2.5 and has illumination.

I'm running a Burris XTR 1x-4x on my 18" SPR in an ADM QD mount and I'm really pleased with it. I'm not sure if you're wanting more magnification? However, the XTR has calibrated dots & hash marks built into the reticle.

my $0.02

AvsFan
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The vortex PST 2.5-10 is a poor man's nightforce 2.5-10. </div></div>
I run this glass on my remmy 16" .308 bolt gun.... Well worth the coin for all that you get and they stand behind their product (great warranty). I also run a mark 4 1.5-5x24 on my LWRC M6A3 and feel very comfrontable taking 300 meter shots with that piece of kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44.</div></div>

+1

I have this scope and love it.

Leupold VX-R Patrol 3x9x40 30 mm tube. It has the fire dot reticle. I bought one recently and am very happy with it.

Man, if you have $800 to spend, maybe you should just save a bit more and get what you want. Keep an eye out on the used market. I know that I've sold a couple of 2.5-10X32s for around $1K.

I really like the Vortex scope and appreciate the recommendations my only reservation with those is the 44mm objective. I really want to stick with something in the sub 40mm objective range for my AR 15.

I recently bought a RRA Elite Operator2 and the weapon is a total tack driver. I was originally planning to put a 1-4x scope on it but since I've seen how well the weapon groups I want to extend my magnification range a bit.

My big reason for wanting something more compact is the fact that aesthetically I like the compact look on an AR style weapon. I don't have anything against larger scopes but they aren't my cup of tea on a compact 16" barreled rifle.

I have quite a few scopes laying around that I could trade towards a Nightforce that I want it's just a matter of finding some one who wants one.

I currently have laying around:
Leupold VX-R 4-12x40, 30mm tube, Ballistic FireDot
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50, 30mm tube, Illuminated duplex
Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Long Range / Tactical with fine duplex and capped target turrets
Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 standard scope

If you couldn't tell I have a lot of Leupolds and I'm trying to branch out of the midrange glass into some higher end stuff.

joshua, why are you trying to turn a nice carbine into a pig? Right now, you have a pretty handy rifle. When you add a 10X scope and the associted equipment, you're talking about adding bulk and weight.

You keep using the word compact, but there isn't anything compact about a 10X scope.

The rig on top is based on a 16" barrel and a 2.5-10X Nightforce.
The rig on the bottom is also based on a 16" barrel, but it's wearing a 1.5X ACOG.
DSC_0016.jpg

The 10X scope does not make for a compact rig. It may be smaller than some others, but I wouldn't call it compact.

What is it that your rifle has done to earn the badge of being a tack driver that has led to your desire for more magnification?

I'm only asking because you may be setting yourself up for some disappointment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is it that your rifle has done to earn the badge of being a tack driver that has led to your desire for more magnification?

I'm only asking because you may be setting yourself up for some disappointment. </div></div>

I have the exact same rifle (Elite Operator 2) and with Hornady 55gr V-Max ammo, I can get .8-.9 MOA consistently out to 300. With handloads, I hover around .7 MOA with the occasional sub .5 group. That is with a Giessele SSA-E trigger, PRS stock, bipod, and rear bag. Prior to the stock and trigger upgrades it hovered around .9-1 MOA with Hornady or handloads. The potential is there especially since I'm not the best shooter by any definition.

I have run mine with the following:
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Irons</span></span>- great training
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Hensoldt 4x24</span></span>- Excellent glass, perfect tracking, but couldn't really get used to the German Post reticle.
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40</span></span>- Great value glass wise and tracks true. No issues with parallax. I took it out to 500 and back with great results. That being said mine didn't have a lit reticle, enough elevation (1" tube), and the "BDC" turret will not work on this rifle (but you can use it like a standard turret still).
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NF BR 8-32x56</span></span>- Excellent glass, tracking, reticle, etc. But it was just a placeholder and really too big/heavy.
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">PST 2.5-10x44</span></span>- Good glass, tracking, zero stop, great reticle, travel. The glass is not as clear to my eye as the Leupold, NF, or Hensoldt. I also have an issue with parallax at 100yds with this scope.

Currently the PST is on top of the rifle right now. I got it in a compromise between this and the 2.5-10x or 3.5-15x NF and honestly I wish I had bit the bullet and got the NF. I own two NFs, one BR and one NXS, and both are head and shoulders above the PST in clarity. Also the 2.5-10x NF does not seem to have as many parallax issues from my research. Eye fatigue with the PST is also pronounced after a couple of hours at the range.

In my opinion, save up a little bit more. And keep an eye on the for sale section here for a NXS.

How about a used IOR 1.5-8x28 cqb 223 reticle with 1/4 moa knobs? It is a very nice AR scope. A little hard to find, but they do come up if you are patient.

I just bought the old model IOR 2-12x32 for my AR-10. I can't wait to mount it.

I just purchased a NF 2.5x10x32. Havent mounted it yet (rifle is still on order), but man, this a pretty sweet little scope. I would def say it is pretty compact, depending on what you are comparing it to of course. Compared to the other NF scopes, it is much lighter. The NF 1x4 is shorter but is the same weight. The smaller objective makes it a bit more compact than other 2.5x10's ive seen. I have the mildot zero stop model. The glass is great, turrets are solid and the illuminated reticle rocks. I am extremely happy with it.

That being said, the downside to this scope is the cost. Also, the 2.5x10 models seem to be becoming a little more scarce than some of the other NF models. Im guessing because the higher magnification models are so big and heavy the dont seem real practical on an AR. Or at least an AR that is going to be carried around. My local dealer called NF and was quoted 26 week lead time on new scopes. Luckily, I found one online (EuroOptic, great service btw) but it was the last one they had.

I have a buddy who has a Trijicon Accupoint 25x10x56, not exactly as compact as the NF, but it is a pretty awesome scope too. They are readily available for half the price of the NF (around $870 i think), and honestly after looking through both, i cant really say the glass on the NF is any better, at least to my eyes. He has the illuminated milldot reticle

After rereading the OP question and reading my response i realized that I am basically retarded because it had almost nothing to do with the OP question.

So her goes, I would look at one of the Trijicon Accupoint models. They have a 3x9x40 which has great glass, compact, illuminated reticle and under $800. The 2.5x10 just over $800

perhaps you should consider the new weaver tactical 2-10x36. it seems to have everything your asking for,$745 from the admittedly few places that have it,less than 40mm objective,magnification range your looking at and it might meet your compact definition. they don't give the weight specs but since the 3-15x50 version is 27.5 oz.,i'm thinking it should be about 24/25 oz.(perhaps less,i don't know)

there's some confusion as to what reticle it actually has but according to weaver's catalog it's the "extreme mildot ranging",which seems to be a EMDR but with open post. originally i thought it was a simple mildot,but i was wrong. i may actually really like this reticle,in fact,i'm thinking of getting this weaver myself. they are excellent value and according to everyone who has looked at/through one of these weaver tacticals,the glass is great and quality is high. it also has everything except zero stop and a side/parallax focus(which i think this one doesn't need).

I have looked through two different weaver tacticals and to my eyes the glass in them looked really nice. Having said that I also like the Vortex 1-4 Razor and you can find them used for $800 ish on occasion.

I just placed an order for one of the SWFA SS1-6x24. With the current special
It will be just under $800. Steven

I think I'm going to save up and by save up I mean sell off my vast collection of Leupold scopes and buy a Nightforce. In the mean time I have mounted a Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 on top of my Elite Operator2.

By tack driver I was meaning to say that I can generally cut 5 holes together at 100 yards. I realize on this particular forum that isn't impressive with some guys doing that at hundreds of meters but I'm very happy with that sort of performance.

Halcyon, how do you like the SSA-E trigger? I have one on order currently.

I've also been looking at the Weaver 2.5-10 Tactical scope. I don't think it will be out for a few months but it's definitely also on my short list of scopes to get.

Here's a couple pictures of the VX-R mounted up. So far I like it a lot but the gun is super heavy now. That's fine for me because I mainly shoot at the bench but off hand shooting will get tiresome very quickly now.

RRA-VXR.jpg

RRA-VXR2.jpg

The Leupold VX-R patrol in 1.25x4 is a nice compact under $800.

SWFA 1-4 HD gets my vote. Excellent for 3 gun and out to 400 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the exact same rifle (Elite Operator 2) and with Hornady 55gr V-Max ammo, I can get .8-.9 MOA consistently out to 300. With handloads, I hover around .7 MOA with the occasional sub .5 group. That is with a Giessele SSA-E trigger, PRS stock, bipod, and rear bag. Prior to the stock and trigger upgrades it hovered around .9-1 MOA with Hornady or handloads. The potential is there especially since I'm not the best shooter by any definition.</div></div>

I'm going to guess that this information was posted to suggest that this particular rifle is a "tack driver." I disagree. When I say that a rifle is a "tack driver," I mean that I can put up a piece of board with a series of tacks in it and hit the tacks with a measure of consistency with the rifle. Precision rigs are capable of doing this. If I built a precision rig and the best that I could get out of it was an occasional .5 MOA group, I'd be sorely disappointed. The accuracy claimed in the quote above would mean that there would be a whole lot of missing going on.

In any case, I'll go out on a ledge and say that this particular model of rifle was not built to be used as a precision rig. The only point that I was trying to make is that it is a nice and fairly compact rig.

Some of the optics being discussed here are going to turn it into something not so nice and compact.

Of course, if that's what the OP wants to do, then more power to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the exact same rifle (Elite Operator 2) and with Hornady 55gr V-Max ammo, I can get .8-.9 MOA consistently out to 300. With handloads, I hover around .7 MOA with the occasional sub .5 group. That is with a Giessele SSA-E trigger, PRS stock, bipod, and rear bag. Prior to the stock and trigger upgrades it hovered around .9-1 MOA with Hornady or handloads. The potential is there especially since I'm not the best shooter by any definition.</div></div>

I'm going to guess that this information was posted to suggest that this particular rifle is a "tack driver." I disagree. When I say that a rifle is a "tack driver," I mean that I can put up a piece of board with a series of tacks in it and hit the tacks with a measure of consistency with the rifle. Precision rigs are capable of doing this. If I built a precision rig and the best that I could get out of it was an occasional .5 MOA group, I'd be sorely disappointed. The accuracy claimed in the quote above would mean that there would be a whole lot of missing going on.

In any case, I'll go out on a ledge and say that this particular model of rifle was not built to be used as a precision rig. The only point that I was trying to make is that it is a nice and fairly compact rig.

Some of the optics being discussed here are going to turn it into something not so nice and compact.

Of course, if that's what the OP wants to do, then more power to him. </div></div>

I can see your point Tony. My biggest reason for wanting magnification is I really enjoy punching paper at 100 yards with AR 15s. I realize they aren't a "precision" rig but I do find it enjoyable trying to get the most accuracy I can out of a weapon that wasn't designed for literal tack driving. I don't currently own anything that I could drive tacks with consistently except for possibly my 17hmr rig, I'm the lowest common denominator with that weapon.

At this point I'm really confused on what to keep on top of my AR 15. I feel like a 1-4x scope or a 4x acog would be the most compact for that tactical feel however I don't feel that 4x gives me what I want for target shooting at 100 yards. I'm more comfortable at 8x or above.

My target shooting literally consists of punching paper at 100+ yards and trying to cut 5 holes together. That's generally what I strive for.

joshua, if that's what you like doing, then roll with it.

For your stated purpose, you are right, the 1-4X isn't going to come close to being enough. In fact, I don't think that the 2.5-10X will be enough. For me, the 2.5-10X is enough to shoot MOA or a bit better, but for shooting for the sake of precision, I like more. The scope that I use the most is a 5.5-22X.

If I were you, I would consider something in the 3-18X range, at the least.

I agree, I have a VXR 1.25x4 and 4x and I like it. It can do precision work at 100 yards but it isnt ideal. I would go with the NF 2.5x10. Or something similier.