• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compact shooting mats

Petro712

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Minnesota
I am transitioning away from the shooting mat / drag bag combo. I will be using an Eberlestock Little Brother G1 pack with the weapon scabbard. In this transition I will loose the shooting mat that I am used to.

I would like to keep my new mat compact so it is easily stowed in my pack or attached to the external MOLLE. Some thin padding would be nice but is not a deal breaker. The materials will however, need to provide protection from moisture on the ground. Mat will be used all year. This includes sun, rain, and snow!

To replace the shooting mat I am looking at several different compact shooting mats / ground covers. Anyone have input on the following companies. Maybe you could suggest one that I have not found.

Armageddon Gear $60 http://www.armageddongear.com/ultralight-shooting-mat
TAB Gear $65 https://tabgear.configio.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=811&cid=238
Primary Arms $49 http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-compact-shooting-mat-flat-dark-earth-pagssmfde-pagssmfde

Right now TAB Gear is looking really good for the following reasons.
1000D material
Laminated back/DWR finish (both subject to breakdown rather quick with use)
Some foam to protect elbows/chest
Multiple color options
Mat tie downs and stakes
Compact 4"x8" size
Lifetime warranty

One feature I would like to see is different colors on either side to help with varying terrain/conditions.

My .02 is the Armageddon Gear, I have used their and had no issues. All of the stuff I have purchased from them has been top notch. I have not tried the others.

Take a look at the Crosstac recon shooting mat. One side is multi-cam, the other side is atacs-au. They offer a version with no padding, that can be ordered in a short or long version and also a version that has padding and can also be ordered in short or long I believe. Both are packable but the no padding short version will obviously be more packable than the others.

If I was taking a shooting mat on a backpack hunt, it would be the TAB. It is light and small, but the trade off is a lack of padding. They are only padded under the elbow area and is a single layer of cordura elsewhere. I have not seen the Armageddon Gear, but from the video/description it is in the same class.

If you would like something will full padding, and a skid resistant forward section, take a look at our mat:
https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Padded-Shooting-Mat.html

It is still small enough to put in or on a pack, and often I fit it inside my dragbag with the rifle or inside the big zippered pouch. Made in the USA!

5:53

Reactions: goneballistic
One vote for the tab mat here. I've had mine for several years and it has held up well. Definitely not much padding but it WILL keep you dry

If I was taking a shooting mat on a backpack hunt, it would be the TAB. It is light and small, but the trade off is a lack of padding. They are only padded under the elbow area and is a single layer of cordura elsewhere. I have not seen the Armageddon Gear, but from the video/description it is in the same class.

If you would like something will full padding, and a skid resistant forward section, take a look at our mat:
https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Padded-Shooting-Mat.html

It is still small enough to put in or on a pack, and often I fit it inside my dragbag with the rifle or inside the big zippered pouch. Made in the USA!

5:53

+1

Another vote for the TAB mat. It's convenient and built to last. The lack of padding has never bothered me.

I've never used the Triad mat, but if is like the rest you your products, then it would be a great choice also, just a bit larger profile when folded up.

I have a suppressor cover by Armageddon Gear. Great fit. I am waiting for a response from manufacturer as to how much padding they have in their mat. Not sure if it has a simple strip for the elbows or more to accommodate entire torso.

The Crosstac mat seems to be priced 2x's what the others are. Not sure why this is. Only thing going for it is the dual color option. I am looking into how much area has padding on this mat.

I like the Triad but it is getting a little large for pack-ability.

I am leaning towards the TAB mat at this time. I am going to look around for some more reviews before making a purchase.

Thanks for the replies.

lol shooting mat

Chicks dig scars.

Ants and spiders dig old guys laying on the ground.

I like the TAB mat because it fits in a drag bad, but it's basically just something to keep you off the ground. A cheap sleeping bag works great if you're not needing to carry it far. If it's muddy and close to the the truck, I'll spread a small tarp under the mat. A large, thick trash bag split down the sides works well to keep moisture from wicking up through the mat if you need light / compact.

I have the PA mat, and while functional, its not optimal. The padding is too far up the mat to allow the tripod to sit on the mat.

You put your tripod on the mat? Does that leave room for you?

It does on some of the larger mats since Im somewhat "vertically challenged". Not on the PA though. Ive had the wifey sew straps across the front (stitched on three sides with the back edge unsewn) to act as bipod loading points for when I need them. Im still at that stage.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo50251.jpg
    photo50251.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 40
I use and sell the TAB gear matts also. I sell both the D-Ring ones and the Fastex buckle ones. Click Here to see them.
They are compact, well made, sized just large enough to work well and are all around well thought out.
I also sell Armageddon gear stuff, but haven't used their shooting matts yet. Everything I have had from both Tab and Armageddon have been top notch.

FYI - on our product page we have Tony's video of how to re-fold the mat back to close its original size ;-) - since w/o watching you end up with a bigger mess after you unfold it the first time...

Going to change direction on this. I have been in contact with a company willing to custom make a mat similar to the compact ones I originally mentioned.

If you could suggest a modificatuon or feature for a compact mat, let me hear it. I've got my own ideas, but I'm curious to see what thoughts are out there.

This mat will be geared toward LE snipers working in the midwest. Looking for something easy to store in a squad and work with in the field during the longer callouts.