• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Padded Shooting Mat

elonflow

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2021
Ohio
Looking for a new mat. I own the tab gear one that is nothing more than a glorified tarp and not that comfortable on hard ground. I also have the tactical tailor one that is so comfortable I could sleep on it but it’s too big to fit in my luggage when I travel.

Is there anything out there has some padding but is still compressible enough to fit in a suitcase/pelican?

Another vote for CrossTac. It's amazing how comfortable a inch of memory foam can be. Also easy to carry and use.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I use the Triad mat Trigger Monkey linked above. As long as you're not laying on large, jagged rocks, it's fairly comfy for the 1/8" padding. As for the rolled up dimensions, the roll has to be real tight to get it to the 5.5" diameter they have listed. I strap mine to the bottom of a backpack, so for me, it's about 6.5"-7.5" dia. rolled up. Though, one caveat is, it will get hot if you're out in full sun on a mid-summer day. I've had it for two years now and it's holding up good.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Crosstac. By far the best and worth the money.

If you're too cheap then the Midway is decent.

I have both and only use the Crosstac for shooting. The Midway is used for working on the car/truck.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
Midway has a pretty quality mat for like 80$. Mines 2 years old and holding up well
I too think Midway's mat is excellent and sold for a decent price. Its held up quite well. However, I have the Pro Series Gen 2 which seems to have been replaced (well, renamed) the Elite Series Comp Mat and its out of stock for...well, WTF knows why.

Reactions: M4orturnate
I have both Cross Tac mats. PLRS Mat is the go to mat for range days and anytime I will be shooting from locations near my truck. I'm definitely not rucking with the PLRS Mat. The Recon Mat is for travel and field use. Both are excellent an well worth the price. Buy once, cry once.

T

Best thing about the Crosstac Recon is I can fold it up in squares and sit on it for bench shooting. Which is what I find to be the most precise shooting position. (Its got to be a solid AF bench though) Probably why "benchrest" shooting is done fom a bench and they get stupid small groups, hmmm. ;)