• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comparing two chassis-user opinions please

sabrecross

Forever a Minuteman
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Texas
Guys,

I'm looking at two specific rifle chassis and I'd like your pros and cons of each for those who have used them: krg whiskey 3 and the AICS 2.0. I have a Remington 700 long action that I'd be mounting in it and I'm looking at the folding stock chassis. Thanks.

This will primarily be a long range rifle so weight is not an issue; 7mm Remington magnum rifle...

i might be one of the outsiders but i never found the vertical grip comfortable.
i didnt like the original TRG stock as well (put it in a XLR and after a while i gave that to my brother).
i also like wrapping my thumb around the grip and not leaving it on the "same side".
Once i sat behind a AICS and now the AX etc, everything fell into place.

i might be one of the outsiders but i never found the vertical grip comfortable.
i didnt like the original TRG stock as well (put it in a XLR and after a while i gave that to my brother).
i also like wrapping my thumb around the grip and not leaving it on the "same side".
Once i sat behind a AICS and now the AX etc, everything
Once i sat behind a AICS and now the AX etc, everything fell into place.

What did you like about the AICS and now the AX?

with the aics and now the ax i feel the rifle is a complete unit. the weight feels balanced correctly (even though we all have sewer tubes hanging off our actions now).

and although they are about the same size i feel the KRG made the rifle feel top heavy, like it was more willing to flop around.

since you are shooting mostly bipod and such the AI squared off fore end will not bother you. some guys didnt like the flat fore end of the AI when shooting off a bumpy surface (tree branch type stuff(, i personally never found it to be a issue.

the KRG is a little more modern so you can add "more stuff" to it but if your going to leave it mostly stock and not adding thermals and stuff the extra modularity will not benefit.

and truthfully with all the flat sides of the AI you able to tape much larger dope cards to the stock

with the aics and now the ax i feel the rifle is a complete unit. the weight feels balanced correctly (even though we all have sewer tubes hanging off our actions now).

and although they are about the same size i feel the KRG made the rifle feel top heavy, like it was more willing to flop around.

since you are shooting mostly bipod and such the AI squared off fore end will not bother you. some guys didnt like the flat fore end of the AI when shooting off a bumpy surface (tree branch type stuff(, i personally never found it to be a issue.

the KRG is a little more modern so you can add "more stuff" to it but if your going to leave it mostly stock and not adding thermals and stuff the extra modularity will not benefit.

and truthfully with all the flat sides of the AI you able to tape much larger dope cards to the stock

Very helpful information, thanks. I have a Harris bipod. Any thoughts or experience on getting the spigot mount verses setting the bipod under the forearm...Such as balance, or being too high... ?

I like the ax better but the aics 2.0 is more in my price range with a son in College and one in high school playing select baseball!

Very helpful information, thanks. I have a Harris bipod. Any thoughts or experience on getting the spigot mount verses setting the bipod under the forearm...Such as balance, or being too high... ?

I like the ax better but the aics 2.0 is more in my price range with a son in College and one in high school playing select baseball!
I shoot a KrG X-ray and used to shoot off a Harris-
get a spigot mount, and if you are dropping the coin on a $1200 chassis, consider a new bipod as well, the Harris works and there are plenty of people that shoot it very well, but I was not as consistent on the Harris as I am my Ckye-pod, and having multiple places you can mount a bipod makes it easier to get a solid position in a given location

I think the ergos of the AI chassis suck. It's a love it or hate it thing. Works great for some people. I would get behind one before you buy to figure out which one of the camps you fall in to.

Reactions: RyanM
I happen to run a KRG W3 on my Remington 700 SA 6.5x47L custombuild, and I have a AICS 1.5 with thumbhole skins on my Remington 700 LA 300WM custombuild. And I have had or tried a bunch of different stocks and chassis over the years.
I like the KRG, as it is resonable light, comfortable and easy to set up. The pistolgrip is longer and a bit more comfortable than the AICS which is good when you have size 11 gloves.
I like the AICS, as it is idiotproof, sturdy and maybe a bit more comfortable than the KRG, other than the pistolgrip that is a bit small, but I make it work.
Both rifles have Harris bipods and I appriciate the heavier AICS on the win mag, as it helps to mitigrate the recoil a bit.

AI chassis ergos are very much love it or hate it.

The W3/Xray/Bravo fit me very well and I think pack a lot of value. The other nice thing about the KRG stuff is there are options. Want a tubular fore-end? They have one. Angled or flat bag rider? Sure, they have those add a spigot mount, short fore-end, log ones etc. A lot more options on them than other chassis IMO.

Really depends on feel and desired fit. I’ve always gone back to a W3 after trying nearly everything else I can think of. My dislike for the AICS type grip literally lead to me selling my AIAT rifle to go back to a bighorn and W3 setup, as I had prior to the AIAT rifle.

It’s like shoes. Sometimes it’s hard to explain why you like these over those, but you know a good fit from a bad fit regardless.

Reactions: RyanM
Great points on grip angle. I like the W3 grip angle better than the ACIS AT. I've also heard a lot of people say that the W3 is front heavy. I'll be placing a 26" sendero profile barreled action in it.

Had both, liked both but my preference was the AICS with the Viper Skins. As many have said it is a personal preference and more based on ergonomics then anything else. No two people have the same build, hand size, vision etc. so everything becomes personal preference. The KRG is very nice, but just the base feel of the AICS, the balance, as stated above, and the thumb shelf on the Viper Skins make the AICS my favorite. If you don't need all the tacticool rail attachments (and most shooters don't) try the AICS but look on the Hide because you can find them used for 500-600 and if you don't like it flip it.

Reactions: sabrecross
I've had both and prefer the Whiskey 3. It's lighter and more adjustable. It took a long time to get comfortable with the AICS. KRG offers so many options and accessories and the CS is top notch.
492EA74A-2C31-4094-A6CE-B5049E6E302C.jpeg
E301543E-E345-4E75-AC7B-5AAF9359A5FE.jpeg
421D6452-E8A7-44B5-B5A2-4AAA89A4469B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrecross
I appreciate all your feedback. I settled on the whiskey 3 LA chassis because of its' built in adjustability and grip angle. It should arrive on Friday. I'm also looking at the Elite Iron aluminum bipod and the Clyde-pod bipod but I think I want the elite iron...