• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Comparing Weaver to Mueller for First Scope

Zierro

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2013
Hoping your experience and help can make my decision easier. I will be mounting on AR-15. I think it might be best to go entry level ($100-$275) with as many features as possible. My thinking being that no matter which scope I go with, I will still want a much higher quality scope pretty soon. The fact that I have never spent much time firing through a scope leads to wanting to try different features. That way I can determine which ones I really want or need. Things I really want, but can be talked out of maybe. Illumination (my eye sight suffers in low light)- Mil Dot Reticle(thinking it might be best way to learn) - 4x12 or similar (I have a cheap Red Dot for short range).

Things to consider. I am an Old Fart with diminishing eye sight. I will not be running and gunning. Mostly shooting targets in the 50-300 yard range. Might be shooting the occasional varmit. One thing I would like to get, but doubt I will with my criteria, is some nice Eye Relief.

I have researched Weaver and Mueller enough to believe either would be a good option. Wondering if my thinking is on the right track. A couple hundred bucks ain't gonna kill me, but I would like to make the best choice. I am open to other brands
if something comes to mind.

Here's 2 I like;

Mueller 4-16×50AO Tactical (has the edge because of features)
Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x44

Thanks!

I have had the Muller and think it is a great scope for the money. Nice and clear and tracks well.

Also I have a friend that has two of them. One is on a 300 mag and he has had no problems.

I'll recommend a Weaver grand slam, I checked midway and they have 3-10 for 299, much better than the kaspa. Great light gathering in the glass. I've never used high dollar glass but love my grand slam (mine is 3-10x40 with moa, not mil).

For about the same price as the Muller, I'd look at the Primary Arms 4-14 instead, if it was me.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm
It is front focal plane, and most importantly, it has matching units on the turrets/reticle. If you want a step up from there in quality, the Waver mentioned @ $299 is a steal as far as value. I'm sure the Muller is decent for the money, it looks more like a target type scope than a tactical setup, with 1/8 moa adjustments and covered turrets. Another maybe to look at is the Redfield Battlezone 3-9x42. It has matching reticle/turrets and a exposed turrets for about $190-200 and is a good deal coupled with the ar mount for an extra $20. Good luck
Redfield 3-9x42 Battlezone Rifle Scope & Mount Kit

Ah, the plot thickens. Grant I had seen that Grand Slam at midway, quite enticing. I had backed off, as I really am thinking illuminated. Maybe I am over thinking IL. I really don't know how much of a difference it will make on my diminished vision in low light situations. Crosshair, I really like your thinking on the Mil-Mil set up with the Primary Arms. It surely would simplify the learning curve, and I obviously, have a lot to learn.

do some searching on here on illumination, I think in this price range it will only add weight and aggravation. Better glass will help much more than glowing crosshairs in low light

I have one of the Weaver 3x10 Grand Slam tacticals on my wifes coyote gun. Been very happy with it, good glass and tracks well.

I've got 2 weaver 3-10 on hunting guns are they are great. Made kills to 750 yards with them. Don't even consider illumination on a scope under a grand. I've had 3 pst's and none worked

I will also recommend the Weaver grand slam with the 3-10 mil/mil reticle. Mine is currently on a 22 trainer, and the only thing I could possibly want that it does not have is side focus. This is not a deal breaker for me though. It is just at almost 56, it can be nice to have.

I have owned and used a lot of weavers over the years. I would guess several dozen. I have never had to find out how good their customer srvice is.

I have 2 muellers 1 is an 8-32 target dot. The other is the 4.5-14 APT. Both have good glass. I would not say as good as the weaver grand slam, but good. I do like that one has side focus and the other has A/O.I have been buying mueller scopes (these two anyway) for the last 8 or so years. I can say from first hand experience, that their customer service is excellent.

Good luck with your decision.