• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Comparison L3 LWTS-LR and Trijicon Oasys UTC Xii

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
I feel that since these two optics are currently the pinnacle for LR DOD grade uncooled LWIR devices, that there should be a discussion on the strengths and limitations of each unit. Both are expensive units that are hard to get your hands on so I believe that getting out as much info on each is important.

LWTS-LR

The Good

The best feature that the LR brings to the table is it's versatility. It is a true multi-use unit.

The LR is an outstanding stand alone unit with multiple reticles driven by mil-contracts. M24, M4 (simple crosshair dot), M107 MK19 etc that all range with magnification. Each reticle retains its zero profile so you can assign different rifles to particular reticles. Stadia lines for a man size target(easily converts to 4 legged creatures) are available on each screen. The scope features a unique approach to screen size/visibility ....when in stand alone mode the optic is @ a 2x "near FOV " When changed to clip on mode the unit reduces the video display by .5x while keeping the original full fov of the sensor. The net result is a 1x unity image on a reduced display ( more on this mode later). For stand alone weapon mount mode the available zoom levels are 2x NFOV, 4x WFOV and a 6x 3fov all of which stay incredibly clear under zoom( SEE VIDEO BELOW OF 2x 4x 6x). There is no other stand alone optic on the market I would pick up and use for a LR engagement before the LWTS-LR.

The buttons for most of the commonly used functions ( brightness gain polarity zoom) are external and have indexing features that allow you to access the correct one without looking. The menu is very straight forward and easy to navigate.

Non Uniform Calibration is either totally automatic or can be disabled / triggered manually. I really like the auto nuc feature when using a unit on a clip on with a larger day optic. Unless you have go go gadget monkey arms you’d have to come off of the rifle for a manual cover the lens NUC.

Eyepiece centerline height on the LR is 1.55 inches which is right in line with NV industry standard so most of you other clip ons 24,30 etc will be spot on as far as matching your day optic. (again some of the other optics are less sensitive to centerline height discrepancies but taking variables out of the equation is always a good thing)

The unit that I have been running for 6 months has been spot on as far as POI shift when running the optic in clip on mode. Most customers have reported the same.

50 cal rated unit that has an impressive run time. I’ve run the unit on 338 lapua and norma and never had it flinch.

The Ehhh

There are a few things that I’m kind of lukewarm about.

The focus control is extremely stiff on the LWTS-LR. Not helping the situation is the fact that the focus ring is a smallish diameter and there is nothing to grab. I fond it so difficult that I had custom throw levers made to mitigate the issue. The flip side is that you should never have the focus move under recoil etc and the manual says there is no need to adjust focus past 170 meters ( I’d say more like 300 in my use but there is a large sweet spot.)

Clip on mode is only usable for me up to around 10x. The display in my estimation is around 900 pixels horizontal so when the unit is switched to clip on mode the 640 sensor is sending that data to a 450ish pixel display. Still a very usable image on lower magnifications but the imaging leaves a lot to be desired beyond 7x or so. Detection range is nearly identical to the UTC but the display is the limitation in real world usage. I have had several customers tell me that they have used the LR up to 14x after ID to make successful kills on coyotes etc. To be fair the LWTS-LR was designed to be used in clip on mode with ACOGs up to 6x. Sometime when you are a jack of several trades certain modes can be limited.

20200201_210900.jpg

The Ugly

30 hz units save on power consumption and there is a school of thought that they deliver a better image as 60hz is sometimes artificially overlaid…..I have seen different sides of the latter argument. I do think that there are far more benefits to have the option of 50 or 60 hz in dynamic environments. It would be nice to at least have the option between 30 and 60 like the UTC.

At well over thirty ounces the LR feels like it could be used as a striking weapon. It’s long size and heavy weight makes your heavy LR platform feel like an anvil and it is definitely a draw back to the unit.

Auto Gain Control seems to make the image less than Ideal for me under most instances. I’m always having to turn it off and adjust the manual gain.

20200219_125146.jpg

UTC Xii

The Good

The image quality under day optic magnification is just unreal. The fact that the full display is used ( and reduced to 1x unity via rear eyepiece) to project a 6 degree FOV over a high res display puts a bunch of pixels on target. 16x DO mag is still extremely usable for ID and 20x for taking a shot is not a problem.
20200219_130841.jpg
20200130_132136.jpg

The UTC Xii is extremely small and lightweight due to having a 12 micron sensor and 2x battery compartment. It was the very first thing I noticed when playing with the optic. Barely bigger than a fist and almost the same size as the short range L3 CRATOS. The focus control is easy to turn but not too loose. … it has raised levers that are easy to grab. The size and weight make the UTC Xii feel at home on a lightweight AR or a 16 LB Accuracy International.
20200219_125307.jpg

The UTC has the ability to change the refresh rate from 30 – 60 hz. I have found the best image quality with these units at 60 hz but it is nice to be able to change it for battery consumption. The UTC Xii ships with both a video cable and a USB/download cable that allows for an external USB power bank to be used for power.

I really like the ability to link to RAPTAR-S and the overlay of heading/pitch/roll you can turn on.

The Ehhh

The fact that these are manual NUC is a little bit of a bummer. It is not the end of the world because these units are pretty short but it still requires some shifting to reach up and cover the lens and hold down the button. I have not had to perform the long cal yet that these units require when a large temp differential is introduced.

The reason they picked a 1.31 inch optical centerline is above my pay grade but I’m sure they had their reasons. Unfortunately I have found these units to be a little sensitive to aligning your day optic height wise. 1.5 is a several inch POI shift for me and 1.42 was about an inch. I do have a 1.34 inch spuhr I will test it on soon. The shift is repeatable but life would be easier as an end user if they made the UTC series at 1.5 inches like everything else. 1st world problems!

The menus are not bad but I do like the simplicity of the LR much better. I’m sure it can be changed but I’m constantly having the menu time out while trying to figure out what to select…..more time on unit will help that.

I’m not exactly sure what the recoil rating is on these. I have been told by the folks in charge that it “should be 50 bmg” but the only document I remember seeing it in officially was an old BAE pdf that shows 300wm. Would be nice if it was official somewhere but considering the limited run on these I don’t see that happening.

The Ugly

Unit can realistically only be used as a dedicated clip on if that matters at all to you. …

Not much to say here except price and availability.

CONCLUSION

Bottom line is if you want the most spectacular clip on available to civi right now the UTCX ii is it...buy one you will not regret it. If the idea of a multi use unit with a very capable yet lower mag clip on function is appealing to you can save 7ish thousand dollars and grab a LWTS-LR.

The limited availability of the UTCX ii units is well noted. As military contracts are coming to an end the LWTS series may be reaching the end of the road as well. If you think you may want one of these units my strong advice would be to grab one while you can.

I will keep adding to this and end users please chime in with your experiences.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review down range !!

I have my eye on a lwts-lr. I currently have a reap type 2 35mm and want to upgrade to a lwts-lr but I’m afraid the 30hz image quality will leave me unsatisfied. I really like the reap but I feel that with using a standard day optics plus clip on thermal it will allow for more precise long distance shots.

What’s your thoughts on image quality between the lwts and reap?

I'd say the reap is ahead a little in image quality but the long range capabilities of the LR due to focus, clarity under zoom , and reticles that actually mean something puts it way ahead of the REAP for connecting at a distance.
You can see the video above..that was taken with a cell phone through LWTS eyepiece of the traffic.....it is no slouch.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
I will add that the two pics above of the 10x target are not a perfect reference as the phone camera was not completely focused on the display and day optic reticle....as you can see. I do have a new method to take clip on video that will be very clear!

Reactions: wigwamitus
I've got UTC-x and LWTS-LR and concur with the vast bulk of DRTs comments.

I classify both of these units as "Long Distance Thermal Clipons" ... and these are the ONLY such units we can buy right now. So, if you want one, you'd better get moving. When I bought my UTC-x from a real OASYS dealer back in 2017, I might have bought the last one that was sold commercially as the OASYS program ended around Sept 2017 IIRC.
So since, then only the FLIR T75 really fit in to the LDTC space that we could buy. And I tried to buy some of those last fall and well er ... was unable to.
So as of now, there are just two such units available, the LR and the xii and we do not know if there will be more, for potentially YEARS, once these batches are gone.

==
Otherwise, I have made and will continue to make other comparison comments in my night shooting thread, so head over there if you want more details from this dummy !! :D

I'd say the reap is ahead a little in image quality but the long range capabilities of the LR due to focus, clarity under zoom , and reticles that actually mean something puts it way ahead of the REAP for connecting at a distance.
You can see the video above..that was taken with a cell phone through LWTS eyepiece of the traffic.....it is no slouch.

I would agree with this. My experience is with the lwts and patrol, both 1x. The patrol has a better image than the lwts. The reap is 2.5x and the LR is 2x. Other than lenses they're pretty much the same as their 1x counterparts. The reap should have a slightly bigger margin over the lr with the extra .5x.

I would agree with this. My experience is with the lwts and patrol, both 1x. The patrol has a better image than the lwts. The reap is 2.5x and the LR is 2x. Other than lenses they're pretty much the same as their 1x counterparts. The reap should have a slightly bigger margin over the lr with the extra .5x.
Not to go off topic but it is very obvious that IRD embellished the magnification a bit on the entire lineup starting with the MK2 IRH. The only manufacturer that seems to hold true to the actual mag is pulsar. Some of that is for marketing and competitive reasons. Best indicator is always FOV for a true representation ( clip on de-magnification and display differences can skew that a little ) Biggest thing that helps the trij line-up is the the bae core magic and emagin display

Went out with a newly built 6.5 grendel and the utcxii last night on a Texas hill country low fence property that has a large population of free range Aoudad. A medium sized ewe popped her head over the edge of a steep outcropping just a little too long. I didn't have time to refocus but the utc is pretty forgiving out past 150 or so. Sorry about the music overlay but these guys I'm with were dropping F Bombs all over the place so tried to keep it family friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bravo6niner
So how well visually do units like the UTCXII compare to the best commercial dedicated optics we can get?

I guess NVision and Trijicon are considered King of dedicated units. So what does the visual comparison look like from a NVision 50mm / Trijicon 60mm to something like the UTCXII

By higher mag you mean that the same 640 quality picture you see in these dedicated units at 3.5x-4x is seen at a higher value in the day optic? How much higher are we talking? 5-6-7x for the 640 quality image?

Then if we 2x a dedicated unit to 7x-8x we have something like a 320 picture... How high of magnification on a day scope are you going before you see a similar image quality? 10-12-14

Maybe this is the benefit I have been missing about the higher quality clip-on units... If you move to the lower magnification you would obviously still have a good picture..perhaps I missed it as well but what is the minimum useful magnification, or what level is it that you get an entirety of the thermal image with no benefit from going lower?

You can think of stand alone mag and clip on mag through day scope the same way since you are simply magnifying the display in both instances. I think the utcxii demags off of about 4.5-5x on the eyepiece....that's also where fov starts to fall off with most day optics. So, I'd say your probably close to your full 640 image at 4 or 5 x. 320 @ around 8-10 and so on.

For long range thermal devices...Image clarity for me takes a back seat to being able to accurately aim at objects....that's where the clip ons shine. Using a turret and reticle from a day optic is far superior than using a widely spaced hashed reticle(may or may not have correct/meaningful subtensions) and holding out in space.

@DownRangeThermal
So if a guy isn’t needing much over
4-5x magnification will a snipe hold its own compared to a Reap type2 35mm?? Currently have a reap and really like it but I think I would greatly benefit from a reticle and turrets from my day optic as you mentioned above.

Recently picked up a UTCxii and agree on all points in the OP. While I don't exactly mind having to re-calibrate the unit manually, its compact size, weight, and performance far outweigh that requirement. It's a super portable unit and I run it on a 14.5" M4 with ease. I'm currently running this with a 1.44" NF 20 MOA mount and haven't experienced much (if any) POI shift from zero. I would like to venture into testing the UTCxii with a Wilcox flip-to-side mount for additional utility, but am content with the Larue QD mount for now.

Excuse the ignorance, I'm still in the process of educating myself on NV options and technology. Outside of these two options which are the pinnacle of long range thermal technology, what are some second tier options for those who can't/won't pay the cost of admission? I'm asking specifically for long range thermal clip on options. Thanks.

... Excuse the ignorance, I'm still in the process of educating myself on NV options and technology. Outside of these two options which are the pinnacle of long range thermal technology, what are some second tier options for those who can't/won't pay the cost of admission? I'm asking specifically for long range thermal clip on options. Thanks. ...

That's actually pretty easy to answer. The answer is NADA.

==
You can find used LWTS (no LR) around for $7.5k ... those can crank up to 4x, 5x, 6x ... depending on who you ask and depending on the conditions and depending on your tolerance for fuzzy.
You used the words "specifically for long range" ... so that's why we say NADA. No other currently available options do sufficient demagnification on the rear to support 8x+ magnification on the day scope. The good short distance thermal clipons are designed for 4x max, and again depending on your tolerance for fuzzy, you can "squeeze" them up a little higher ... and the low end thermal clipons like the Pulsars or Armasights .. do 4x, 5x, 6x as well.

There is one Chinese unit that I tested (see review on this sub-forum) known as the TC-50. It supposedly supported 8x ... and it sorta did, but it was pretty fuzzy. I was able to hit 12 inch steel repeatedly from 500yds, but that's not saying much. I could do that with a Zeus or an Apex as well. But the TC-50 did not hold up in the field (read the review for details).

For other long distance thermal clipons (LDTC). There was the FLIR T-75 and a couple of N-VIsion units also known as TC-50 (and TC-50A) which are TOTALLY different from the Chinese one. But, those are still North of $10k for new ones.

The magic of the thermal clipons happens on the rear end.

There has to be a TINY high res display back there (to enable the day scope to zoom in on it).
There needs to be a focusing lens (try holding your fingers in front of your day scope on high power)
There needs to be some demagnification back there, to allow still more day scope magnification (this is offset by more magnification on the front end, as a clipon must be net 1x to allow us to use our reticles)
And there needs to be an optical wedge (risley prism) assembly back there to enable the unit to collimate with your day optic (without requiring adjustments on either the thermal clipon or the day scope).

Anyway, all that crap costs $$ ... and so the ones that actually DO all that are all over $10k

:D

Thanks for the informative reply. There seems to be a large delta between the high end offerings (both in price and performance) and everything else. I've been looking at the N Vision LR 50 and the Trijicon IR Hunter 60.

What devices did you have on the rear end of the scope to make that (photo) shot !!??

... How do the Utc compare to the Utc x and xii? ...

We tried all three side by side by side a few months back. The detailed write up is in my night shooting thread ...

49744964217_5eeb26d120_k.jpg

We fired two 3 rd groups with each at 100yds ... and re-mounted the clipon before each group. The UTC actually won. Both its groups were dead center on the handwarmer (see group pics in aforementioned thread).

We calibrated the HPRs on each and my skeet ... of the 4 the UTC-xii was the outlier and it didn't wind up "in tolerance" ... but likely that was primate error.

Of course everyone wants to know about the image, image, image I suspect. TBH, up to 10x ... I could hardly tell the difference ... after 10x ... the UTC starts fuzzing up ... but the x and xii keep truckin' on up to 16x ... The xii has a smaller lens (plus to the x) but the xii also has smaller pitch, which makes its lens effectively larger relative to the sensor. These two factors almost cancel out ... but in theory the xii still wins by a tad ... that said .. to find real world conditions where the primate mk1 eb could tell the difference is probably impossible ... and a larger lens physically is still a larger lens ... so in poor conditions ... that would matter also.

But for any real world shooting ... they are all dang close ...

==
I'm still trying to get replacement lens covers for them in case I break or lose one ... and the UTC lens cover did break ... but its still usable. But me and my #1 shooting buddy having three of these critters is a good feelin ... I don't think we could do better with thermals we can buy at this time, for shooting off rifles.

==

... how well visually do units like the UTCXII compare to the best commercial dedicated optics ...

Comparing to say mk3 60mm, which I had for 3 years ... one night I was out in Noah's rain ... one of my cows was working on a bale at 400yds ... with the mk3 60mm on 4x digial (18x net) side by side with the UTC--x on the L&S Mk 6 on 18x ... the images were almost identical ... both could see the cows ear flopping back and forth as she worked on the bale .. this was in pouring rain ...
Both of them can see cattle at 5,300yds ... the farthest I can see things on the ground from my land is 5,300 yds ... and with the RAPTARs I can range that far as well. The Radii can only range out to 3,300yds at night. Yes the cattle are black specs (I'm usually on black hot) ... but you can tell there not deer or yotes or bales or rocks based on numbers, distribution and movement patterns ... by watching for several minutes ...

So I'd rate the UTC/x/xii as equivalent to the trijicon electro optics (TEOs) and the Halos.

... will a snipe hold its own compared to a Reap type2 35mm??

Yes and no. In hybrid mode ... a SNIPE is a REAPv1 35mm with a smaller screen. In hybrid mode, you can run the snipe on your head as a spotter and I was surprised how well that worked even though the screen is smaller I didn't notice it and I was able to see just fine. BTW the screen is smaller due to demagnification required to support more magnification on the day scope.
In hybrid mode you can clipon to a rifle and shoot ... BUT you have to use the snipe reticle (not your day scope reticle) which must be separately zeroed. In that mode, you essentially have a REAP though you can zoom in farther due to the demagnification inherent on the backend of the SNIPE.
In clipon mode .. unfortunately, the SNIPE image is pretty danged fuzzy ... and its fuzzy at any magnification from 2x up to 10x ... the same amount of fuzzy actually, you can just see it better due to the higher magnification you are cranking on your day scope. See my shooting thread back around Nov 2019 IIRC to see my testing the hecque out of the SNIPE.
The SNIPE did impress me with repeatability of the DLOC mount. I averaged .625 IPHY POI shift after repeated remounts and groups being fired. All that data is in the report.
My fundamental problem with the SNIPE is the same problem I have with ALL the trijicon joystick housing units ... I cannot zero them. I get close and I need one more click ... and I try to get the click and no click and I try again and no click and I try harder the third time and get three clicks and went passed where I needed to be ... and I spent hours and hours trying to nail it and never could. Finally I sold it and got an LWTS-LR.
Back to the clipon image ... the surprisingly good part is that the image is just as good on 10x as it is on 3x ... its fuzzy on both ... but equally fuzzy ... and not un usuable ... just not what you'd hope for from the BAE Core device. In hybrid mode ... it is the image you'd expect, but then you can't use your day scope reticle, you have to use the SNIPE reticle. The plus over the ReAPv1 is the inherent demagnification which allows you to dial more magnification on the day scope ... between 6x and 8x for sure depending on your tolerance for fuzzy ... my thinking was that I would use the SNIPE on the rifle as a clipon ... in hybrid mode when scanning and getting PID and the one click (this is inherent to the SNIPE) on the joystick over to clipon mode for shooting. I actually did that a time or so and got some yotes with it ... so it does work if you use it that way.
BUT my inability to boresight the snipe, due to MY inability to work the joystick .. meant I could not hit 12 inch steel beyond 400yds ... and my goal for the snipe had been 656yds.
If a person has the skills to zero a reap, then they should be able to boresight the SNIPE and hit 12 inch steel out to 656yds. I just couldn't do it ... but again I'd blame me for that.

==
So then I had the LWTS-LR ... which would work for me .. I would get another one and be happy ... it turned out ... someone asked me to trade them the LR for their UTC so I did it. I hope we're both happy. I know I am.
The LR can get the job done .. 900yds 12 inch steel ... that's the job ... and it can kill yotes ...
BUT the image is extremely pixellated ... very dark solid lines between each pixel ... and thats instantly when you go into clipon mode ... and the magnification does not matter. Its the worst pixellation I've ever seen. Does that make it unusuable??? NO NO NO .. it is definitely usable .. but you have to ignore the pixellation ... it does not prevent PID of yotes out to 300yds but it makes it tougher and takes longer ... and I had a bunch of new born calves out there last winter .. .and they do a "bounce run" very similar to the yotes ... so I refused to shoot a "yote" outside 100yds ... as I wanted to be 5000% sure it was a yote ... killing a calf is $1000 ... can't afford that !!!
I was able to get 0.5 IPHY groups with the LR ... so nothing wrong with the precision capability ...

The LR is very robust ... and you could drop it and kick it around and it would be fine ... its definitely the second best long distance thermal clipon we can buy ... after the group containing UTC/x/xii. And its worth every penny. Long distance thermal clipons are required if you want to shoot steel beyond 500yds at night (well required if you want to do it with thermals) ... and the only ones we could buy in the past year ... were the LR and the xii ... if you got one .. .congrates ! If you didn't there are a tiny few LR still floating around (ping if interested) ... but AFAIK the xii are unobtainium ... unless you can find someone who wants to sell theirs ... I know I won't !!

Well all this data is in the night shooting report ... but for those who didn't read the data over there ... here ^^ is a summary over here !!