• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Comparison: NF NXS vs. Zeiss Conquest in Low Light

CT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2002
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Don't own a NF but wondering from those that do ......... how does a 50mm NXS compare with a Zeiss Conquest 50mm in low light especially for hunting?

I'm wanting something with enough mag to bring me in on 400yds in good light and still work at the low end for low light dawn/dusk shots?

How does the glass & technology compare between the two?

Re: Comparison: NF NXS vs. Zeiss Conquest in Low Light

Hmmmm ........... maybe I should ask:

Does the Conquest 50mm scope even compare to a NF NXS 50mm?

I personally like the NF better. I sold my Conquest and purchased a NF. I think the glass is a 'little' better in the Zeiss (but, I purchased a NF with a smaller objective ...), HOWEVER, everything else on the NF is BETTER - IMO. I DID NOT like the click adjustments and plastic knobs on the Zeiss, etc. The NF works well at dawn low light target shooting .... That said, you would find either workable IMO.

I am not a big fan of NF glass. Based on the way everyone else likes it, I assume it is just me, but there is definitely some sort haze (for lack of a better term) that I see when using NF's. I have had several, and they seem bullet proof and dead nuts reliable, the glass just isnt as good as the Schmidts' and USO's and even the MKIV's I have had.

I have had 2 Zeiss Conquests and a Diavari. All had excellent glass, but the Conquest had to be returned twice, if I recall, for debris in the image. Zeiss was willing to replace but had none in stock. Both times, Doug at CameralandNY put the burden on himself and sent me a new scope while he dealt with the replacement. (that type of service is why I use only Doug at Cameraland and Scott at Liberty. They really put the customer first)

Given my experience, choosing between those two would be simple. Nightforce for me. I can deal with decent glass, but an inoperable scope is of no use to anyone, even with great glass for the money.

(not bashing NF, just stating my experiences from my use)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm ........... maybe I should ask:

Does the Conquest 50mm scope even compare to a NF NXS 50mm? </div></div>

No,but the Zeiss Victory does.If you are looking more for hunting and shooting small critters a looong ways off,these are great.

I like the optics of the Conquest. A 3.5-10x44 is mounted on my BAR .338 Win Mag and tracks and holds zero perfectly (only 60 rounds so far). Shot a 3-shot 0.75moa group with it yesterday at 100 yards.

I think a 50mm Conquest would compare very favorably with the NXS, optically speaking.

Scott

I have both, a 3-9x50 Z600 Conquest and 2 3.5-15x50 NP-R1's and a 5.5-22x50 NP-R1

The almost dark clarity of the Conquest is better than the 5.5-22 and just a bit better than the 3.5-15's when all are on the lowest power setting (for the largest exit pupil)

My light hunting rig gets the Conquest because of the weight involved with the scope and because I can't afford another NF at this point.

EVERY other option on the NF's is so much better that I'd take the NXS over the Conquest if I could afford another one right now.

The 2 biggest lacking qualities on the Zeiss are

1) The reticle is non-illuminated and it's very fine so it's next to useless with a dark backdrop in the almost dark

2) The lack of any parallax adjustment I feel hinders the range flexibility of the scope. It has a 250-500y sweet spot which the targets don't present a fringe, but it's annoying.

The illuminated reticle on the NF is huge when shooting in almost dark conditions.

I know it is not the conquest but my diavari would be my choice for the glass part. I have not been able to use mine much in practice but the glass is unreal on my 6x24. Nightforce is bullet proof though.

I can only comment on the NXS, and especially with 56mm objective, low-light image quality is excellent. There is also the factor of illuminated reticle with Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a big fan of NF glass...there is definitely some sort haze (for lack of a better term) that I see when using NF's. I have had several, and they seem bullet proof and dead nuts reliable</div></div>

Agreed 100%

In my experience, NF glass is subpar, but pretty much everything else about them (except the rotating eyepiece) is perfect. I wouldn't want to use anything but a NF for a match, even if the picture is hazy and dark at the edges. It's just totally reliable. Pretty sure my next scope will be NF, and I'm not expecting any improvement in glass quality. Now if they did improve their glass, they would have no competition IMO.

my hunting scopes are mostly nxs. they look like crap from all the banging in my buddy's ranch truck and all are survivors of multiple drops on the ground, rocks, and pick up truck bed.

but, they never failed me, and i never had to use their warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stringer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience, NF glass is subpar, but pretty much everything else about them (except the rotating eyepiece) is perfect. I wouldn't want to use anything but a NF for a match, even if the picture is hazy and dark at the edges. It's just totally reliable. Pretty sure my next scope will be NF, and I'm not expecting any improvement in glass quality. Now if they did improve their glass, they would have no competition IMO. </div></div>

A good friend of mine told me this same thing up front when I bought my first NF. His Kahles' and Swarovski's are unreal in clarity, especially at low light conditions. I really like my NXS's but if this was a comparison based solely on clarity, NF would not be my first choice.