• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

comparisons ballistic programs

skyelk

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2013
have been comparing the windage and elevation data for accuracy first whiz wheel, applied ballistics iphone app and mil-dot ballistics iphone app and after entering all the data am getting pretty different numbers
15 full value wind at 500 yds I got (respectively) 3 moa, 1.5 moa and 2.75 moa and for elevation 10 moa, 7 moa and 7.7 moa
any experience with these 3 programs and whom to believe?

Believe the Bullet...

what was the right answer for your system on that day. Believe that and make the appropriate adjustments as each of these is just a starting point that requires effort on your part.

how you get the correct results is usually dependent on the operator.

Believe the Bullet...

what was the right answer for your system on that day. Believe that and make the appropriate adjustments as each of these is just a starting point that requires effort on your part.

thanks

The bullet is the ultimate test.

I use Ballistic AE and the numbers I get are very close to real life. I do need to check the actual tracking on my scope though.

But there maybe settings in the system that are causing errors. There is a thread around here about someone having trouble with Ballistic AE, and it turned out they had managed to set the wrong mils in the Settings page.

BTW, Ballistic AE uses the JBM engine for its calculations.

I started using Shooter recently. I'm new to this long range stuff, so it's been a lot of personal time in searching out answers to millions of questions I have. I did find that after shooting a LOT of rounds today, at 200, 400 and 500, (after confirming my zero at 100yds), inputting my corrections (velocity calibration is what they call it...you input your actual mil settings that worked, and it spits out a corrected velocity for you to input as your chrono-ed velocity. Seems strange, but it worked.) for actual come-ups, compared to Shooter estimated come-ups, the software was more aligned to what I was shooting. Can't wait for the 3 day class this weekend, that should answer A LOT of questions. You can only self-train so much in this particular shooting endeavor.

I recently started shooting long range again.. Using the Strelok app I am with in half mil to 600 yds. Have not had a chance to go further. I use it to help with wind reads. Also helpful for pulling reticle to verify hold points. Hoping to take it out to 800 this weekend. I did chrono to verify before shooting.

I've been using Applied Ballistics for my .308 and plan on using it for my .300 Win Mag when it arrives. So far it has been dead on for my system.

As Frank said, believe the bullet and choose you app/calculator based on that.

I have ballistic AE.
No complaints, as long as I give it good info it gets me very close at worst.

Believe the Bullet...

Lowlight is dead on as usual. lol. I've checked out his videos and they have really helped me. Thanks Lowlight!

Meanwhile, back on the ranch...
I'm new to the game as well. The guys I have shot with all adjusted on site as necessary. I followed suit and only used my range card as a reference. I borrowed a Rem 700 308 last month(Doug didn't want my 338 hammering his targets!:). It was new to me, but I still placed 6th. I compared my Strelok app with his Applied ballistics app. Close range we were pretty close. Long range, mine said a bit less drop. I kept notes all day and logged the actual sighters(aka, my misses). From there, I started getting first shot hits.

Now at the JC steel challenge, my first match ever, my app/range card said 10.1 mils at 1350yds. I had 5 shots. I saw(didn't see) many people miss in the grass around the silhouette. I never took my girl out to this distance before. Totally new to me. I had Dan spot the cliff wall just below the silhouette, a white spot looking like a bird crapped on the cliff. First two rounds walked into a good dope on the cliff wall white spot. Third hit steel, fourth just over the top and 5th impact. I wasted 2 rounds, but gained a positive dope and two out of five hits at 1350. Now, my app and card said 10.1, but the actual was 12.1 and .7 for wind(not 1.5mils). The difference was my bullet and trajectory and a head wind and 40% value wind.

Would this dope be the same at the next shoot Jake has? Maybe, maybe not. Bar pressure, humidity, temp, who knows. Mother nature loves to mess with us. However; she also tells us what she is doing ALL the time.

Best part is, we get to have a blast out shooting! I love shooting with these old timers. Good people, always willing to help you out to get you on target!

Shoot straight
Brian

As many have stated "believe the bullet"
Dope = data on previous engagement
Your dope card is only going to get you in the ballpark. Environmentals are dynamic and the only way to know what your hardware is going to do is shoot in challenging conditions.
I use Strelok pro & Ballistic AE,..

I like Strelok because it is rather simple to reverse the velocity by inputting the vertical correction and let the calculator do the rest, then run the new dope to verify. Strelok also allows you to shut off columns in the range card. However Strelok's load & bullet catalog leave a bit to be desired.

Ballistic AE uses the JBM engine as stated earlier and has a rather extensive library. One of the things I don't like about Ballistic is that you can not chose to shut off columns in the range card (energy at 875yd for a 7-08?)

Unless you happen to have this particular atmospheric data gathering system Downrange Systems - Home you aren't going to have the exact/correct data to input into any app that gives you correct windage adjustments AT or NEAR THE TARGET. The app just gives you an educated W.A.G based on what you tell it. I never even input wind speed info into my app (Ballistic for iPad), I just use it for a starting point for elevation data--then I shoot and record ACTUAL holds for DOPE cards for that particular load/rifle. It has made me learn to read the wind better and since I am not, nor wanna be a Sniper, first round hits aren't absolutely critical. I watch the impact and make quick adjustments using the reticle...and then I make notes based on what I thought the wind was doing at target and what the bullet actually did to either confirm or reject my read on it. In other words...."believe the bullet" as has been said above. Just shoot at stuff and record what happens at the terminal end....that will tell you tons more than any App will...

FYI- I got to meet Ronnie (creator/builder of Down Range Systems) and shot with him at an informal gathering at a friend's house a few months ago and saw/used the system out to 500 yds. It works flawlessly and provides second-to-second updates on all data from tripod mounted kestrels tethered via Bluetooth and transmitting wirelessly back to the computer/monitor. It even continued to work after a 300 Win Mag ricochet fragment hit one of the kestrels. One of the coolest inventions I have seen in a while..