• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

compass lake barrel or rainier arms.

precision308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2013
Indiana
I've narrowed my spr build down to two barrels which cost about the same and is the limit in my funds. Rainier arms ultramatch 18" 223wylde chamber or the compass lake 223 douglas spr 18" barrel. Both have a 1-8 twist and I plan on steek out to about 600 shooting 75-77gr bullets. WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

The 18" Rainier Ultra-Match barrel has been MIA for quite a while. I have had a couple in stock alerts but by the time I get to it to buy one they are gone. I have heard nothing but good things about them, but they are about non existent.

With that said the CLE Douglas barrels have also gotten a ton of stellar reviews. They had Krieger(I think it was Krieger) cut rifle barrel's a month or so ago, but they seem to be OOS.

If you want a Douglass the guys at High Caliber sales also do Douglas barrels and are good guys to deal with.

You can't go wrong with either, but as rjacobs observed...good luck getting one of the RA UM barrels as finding one in stock is like trying to find hen's teeth unless you just happen to find one on GunBroker, BARFCOM, etc. or elsewhere in the open market not from RA direct. They are Shilen match blanks done by WOA for RA. The quality and accuracy achievable from them is top notch as you'd expect.

That said, if CLE has Douglas blanks in stock and ready to roll...you'd be crazy not to jump on one with both feet and not think twice as they are some of the best available from one of the best in the business for putting out the highest quality, most accurate AR barrels available. You should also check because they did have some Bartlein tubes available recently too.

I have a CLE Douglas 1-8 SPR barrel with several thousand rounds through it. It still shoots sub moa with 77 smk loads. I recently found out it likes 53 vmax bullets even better. When I ordered it I was going to have it Wylde chambered but Frank White said their match chamber would be more accurate. If you get one, get it with a headspaced bolt or send your bolt to them. Better yet, spend the extra $$ and get a Krieger.

Thanks for the suggestions I just purchased a mk12 from high calibet sales. Itbwas instock. It is going on a sp223 seekins billet upper/lower with the seekins sp3r v2 rail. Those parts are also enroute. I'm thinking about a dmr geissle trigger but not sure yet. Probably just do a magpul moe a2 stock.

I have a CLE Douglas 1-8 SPR barrel with several thousand rounds through it. It still shoots sub moa with 77 smk loads. I recently found out it likes 53 vmax bullets even better. When I ordered it I was going to have it Wylde chambered but Frank White said their match chamber would be more accurate. If you get one, get it with a headspaced bolt or send your bolt to them. Better yet, spend the extra $$ and get a Krieger.

+1.

They were also doing cut rifled Bartlien barrels as blanks are available.

Thanks for the suggestions I just purchased a mk12 from high calibet sales. Itbwas instock. It is going on a sp223 seekins billet upper/lower with the seekins sp3r v2 rail. Those parts are also enroute. I'm thinking about a dmr geissle trigger but not sure yet. Probably just do a magpul moe a2 stock.

I'm in the process of a very similar Seekins build now(IRMT upper/SP3R/sp223 lower) and just ordered a Kreiger from CLE with their chamber. After seeing how they shoot in matches I'm sold.

L

I'm in the process of a very similar Seekins build now(IRMT upper/SP3R/sp223 lower) and just ordered a Kreiger from CLE with their chamber. After seeing how they shoot in matches I'm sold.

L

I've read nothing but good about cle. One of the reasons I also chose the mk12 is the 556 chamber. Thisbrifle will be in all temps mud rain sand and ecerything in between. I've seen too many tight chambers cause issues in these conditions.

This one is just gonna punch paper and steel. Making it as heavy as possible so my grandson can shoot it a little easier. 24" and .924 at the muzzle.

L

Compass Lake man my krieger barreled service rifle shoots the lights out!!! (for the past 10 years) Frank does excellent work I know the douglas would be a bug hole shooter too. Have him headspace the bolt too, and or get the bolt with the barrel that's good advice. He's also a super good guy always willing to help out the folks in the shooting sports. So many redundant questions he's asked and never an attitude with his response.

Compass Lake. +1 on what 2clicks says. I had them spin a tube on my service rifle a few years back while at Perry. Douglas 1/7 bbl. Great guy who will take the time and answer your questions even if the 6 people in front of you have asked the same thing. Even calling them down at the shop you get great customer service. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

A barrel with a name like "Douglas" on it and you just know something's wrong with it! :)

I have an 18" Rainier Ultra Match 1x8 twist ratchet rifling that shoots excellent. Just hard to get. Had about a 3 month wait from Rainier.

I bought a 16" Douglas 1-7 stainless from Compass Lake last year. Phenomenal barrel. That's the reason I'm getting 2 more from them.

Sent from my iPhone