• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compass selection

Boon20

Smart like shovel
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Im curious what every one who uses a compass is running? I need a new one someday so i wanted to see what every ones top pick is. Why did you go with it and is there something you dont like about it?

Suunto MC-2G is my go-to compass for work. Easy to read, bug dope doesn't affect it, handles temp extremes, gimbal for global use ( all five zones), and great customer service.
I also like the Silva mini for general purpose work when dead-on accuracy isn't as important. It's small and convenient, but the marking are 5 degrees.
I teach with the issued Suunto A-30, which is a decent compass, but bug dope eats the numbers and the base plate is susceptible to breaking. Also, there's no feature to adjust declination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boon20
I have an old Silva Ranger mirror compass that has served me well for over 30 years and keep a Silva mini in my dope book for quick reference. Never used the Suunto mentioned above but looks like a good unit. Still remember the days hunting in NM & CO when we carried laminated 7.5 minute maps along with a compass for navigation. Between GPS units with land ownership maps, range finders and watches with compasses the compass rarely comes out of my pack but I always make sure its there.

Have used one of these for years in Forestry and hunting afield, and if you get a big bubble inside I think they will fix them for minimal cost.

Used suunto MC2 and Silva Rangers in the Canadian military. They were tough enough for infantry use if that tells you anything.

Suunto MC G2 paired with a Foretrex 401, protractor, and an appropriate scaled map with UTM grids.

With the magnetic pole flip due any second, does anybody know where/how far off true N is from magnet reading about Lincoln,Neb? Asking for a friend. Friend is using a '70's mil compass.

Teaching orienteering is lost art. I still do it because batteries die!

Suunto or Silva, but make sure it is adjustable for declination.

Suunto is top tier, so you can’t go wrong but the others will do the job also. I run Suunto’s.

The Brunton compasses are not expensive, the transits are rather pricey.