• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compensating for a 20 MOA base

ToolsoftheTrade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2007
MI
When figuring your shooting solution how does a 20 or other degree base get put into the equation.
As an example I have a 20 moa base on my .308 shooting 175gr pills, I want to use my ballistic programfor figuring my shooting solutions, how does this work with the base?

Re: Compensating for a 20 MOA base

You just put the base on, and rezero. After that, no compensation for the base is necessary.

Added: If the base is very thick, you might need to re-measure the height of the scope above the bore.

yep what Lindy said. that just means you have 20 more MOA of UP then you would with a 0 MOA base. the scope angles down ... no need to factor that into the program.

If you do a 30-40 moa base with a long scope, the above bore measurement would change along the scope; the turrets/reticle would be the right spot to measure? Or would you try to figure the number at the muzzle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do a 30-40 moa base with a long scope, the above bore measurement would change along the scope; the turrets/reticle would be the right spot to measure? Or would you try to figure the number at the muzzle? </div></div>

If have wondered and asked this before, I was told to just measure at the chamber. $0.02

I've always mesured scope height at the turrets since that is where the erector is and that is where your adjustments come from .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always mesured scope height at the turrets since that is where the erector is and that is where your adjustments come from . </div></div>

Thanks C Ward. (BTW: I already picked up the book we talked about yesterday. It was out of stock everywhere, but I found a used copy on ebay.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yep what Lindy said. that just means you have 20 more MOA of UP then you would with a 0 MOA base. the scope angles down ... no need to factor that into the program. </div></div>

X2