• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compensator/Flash Hider for 6.5 Grendel?

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    Hi Guys -

I know many folks just roll their eyes with the "who makes the best" type of threads - and for good reason. Having said this, I would like to ask which companies are among the preferred manufacturers of compensators/flash suppressors for 6.5mm projectiles?

Re: Compensator/Flash Hider for 6.5 Grendel?

Well, if you are looking for something classified as a flash hider and a brake, the AAC Breakout is a good choice. As with most "hybrid" designs, you will sacrifice performance in both areas, few breaks excel at suppressing muzzle flash and few flash suppressors excel at reducing recoil, you will give something up.

Kirk R

If I had to choose, I would take recoil reduction as my primary objective. I'd like to be able to spot my own shots...

I use the Black River Tactical linear brake, a combination flash suppressor/brake, not a bad bit of kit for the money and serves the two purposes pretty decntly. The WCI brake from Warped seems to have a great reputation, but costs a good deal more.

If you plan to hunt with the rifle where as shots might be taken without hearing protection, consider the noise level of the muzzle devices that you're looking at.

Generally speaking, flash hiders are more tolerable than brakes / comps concerning noise and blast. The Vortex works well, as does the A2 birdcage. The Grendel doesn't generate much recoil, although I understand you wanting to spot your own shots.

Also, you need to know your thread size, as that might narrow down your options. Grendel barrels are usually 9/16"x24, where as variants might be 5/8"x24.

Drifter, excellent point on the thread size, having a barrel threaded 5/8x24 limited my selection, also as you mention the 6.5 isn't a thumper, thus I opted for the BRT, not as popular as some used but nevertheless very functionable.

My barrel is threaded 9/16X24 RH. If I need to I'll get it cut and re-threaded. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a suppresor.

I have a PWS on my 6.5 grendel 18 inch Sabre defense barrel, it is working great, use it for coyotes and thinking on trying a three gun match with it this summer.

Thanks for all the responses fellas. Looks like there are a number of options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRLars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WCI from Warped is the shiznit! Loud as hell though. </div></div>

Roger that... I am thinking a supressor is the way to go.