• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition Die Set?

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    I've reloaded for forty years with the normal 2-die sets for bottleneck cartridges. The results have been satisfactory but the performance of current rifles and factory ammo have caused me to raise my expectations.

I will be reloading for a TRG42 in .338 Lapua. The question is, if I use comp. dies what will I get in improved accuracy oover 2-die sets? If its .1 I wouldn't see it as worthwhile. If it's .3 or more I'm in. What do you think it should be?

Re: Competition Die Set?

No. There too many parameters involved. Good dies are nice, but in my experience ,they've all been good.You cannot just buy a small group.In the same vein as buying a Lexus 'cause you wanted a Toyota but wanted to pay more, you can spend a lot more (and I have) for nothing significant.

Sometimes just the convencience of the micrometer seater makes it worthwhile.
    Changing bullets, chasing your lands, it just makes it easier.
    The bushing sizer dies are pretty neat too.
    If your sizing die does what you want, just buy the comp seater.
    The Redding group buy on here puts a Redding comp seater in the $70.00 range, pretty good buy. Honestly don't know what other brands go for.
    I really like the RCBS Gold Medal seater, no pinched fingers.
    Have heard nothing but good about the Forester micrometer seater, but no red in my cache, yet.

I know I'm not going to scare David Tubb. With my .308 and reasonable conditions I shoot OK. Call it .5 MOA +/- .2MOA.

And yes, my question is "can I buy a better group?" I"m trying to find out if using a comp. seating die and a neck sizing die is likely to produce ammo that will give me .2 MOA or greater improvement over ammo produced with a standard 2-die set.

Im just getting into reloading and have comp seaters and bushing neck sizers. the comp seaters deff make it easy to dial in your seating depth, esp when using a few different bullets. the big deal with the bushing sizers is less brass fatigue.

I like 'comp' dies but I really doubt any die change is going to make a dramatic difference in your accuracy, and any degree of improvement sure isn't predictable. Nothing I know of is going to make a .338 into a BR rig, the available bullets just aren't that good.

What they have done for me is remove another excuse for my own inconsistency...........

There might bet two separate issues going on here.

The redding competition seater and sizer dies have a sliding sleave that fully supports the body of the case durring the seating/sizing operation. This leads to lower runout numbers.

The micrometer on the head makes it easier to do a few seating experiments and is (in my opinion) worth it. The micrometer on the neck sizer is less useful (but the sliding sleave IS useful).

The difference in cost for comp. dies and a regular 2-die set is a couple of hundred dollars. If that will yield me .2MOA im-provement then the expense and time is worthwhile. I'm not shooting BR where sub .1 differences matter to me.

With the number of people here that suffer from reloading OCD, some folks must be able to definitively say what level of performance will be gained. I realize that there are variables involved and that there are many more steps that can be added to producing ammo. I'm looking for a simple comparison of the performance of the two types of dies.

Thanks to those that have responded.

Micrometer convenience makes it easier to play and experiment with the seater and your load. The RCBS comp seater makes seating really easy in my book, and experimenting all the more convenient.

"I'm looking for a simple comparison of the performance of the two types of dies."

Well, I could have given you that info but it would have to be a lie because there is absolutely no way anyone can honestly tell you that.

It seems like a lot of the value to the seater is in it's convenience. Apparently no one can attribute a .20MOA improvement to the use of comp. dies.

As cool as some of the designs seem, I thinks I'll just order a 2-die RCBS set.

Thanks for your responses.