• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition dynamics team match advice

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I registered for the team match in October but have never shot a match like this. I started shooting PRS this year and have been enjoying it. Used to shoot uspsa limited and shot 3 gun a long time ago.

Trying to figure out a gear list. I will be the carbine and pistol guy on the team. Sounds like 3-4 miles of hiking a day.

For my carbine Im trying to decide between an 18” mid weight gun I used for 3 gun and my longer range 24”. Both are 223 and both shoot pretty good with the 24” being better. Is the carbine section mostly longer shots or is it going to be more like 3 gun, a lot of up close fast stuff with some long range mixed in?

Optics I have 1-6 Burris rt6, or Burris xtr3 3-18. Knowing if it’s up close and fast or mostly long range will help me decide there.

Other gear-

Mystery ranch pintler

Currently have a heavy full game changer but will order the light fill

Tripod with ball head

I have shooting sticks too but have never needed them, maybe useful for this match???

Sig kilo 10k binos

I normally use a small white board for dope during PRS but reading about this match and how you have to find and range on the clock I’m thinking a bigger arm board I can have a pre made data card and room to scribble might be better???

Obviously appropriate clothing and boots water bladder ect.

You're doing a lot of walking so have a sling and be able to carry everything. I used a tripod or bipod only. No sticks. A 16" will do just fine. The best way to approach the secondary is essentially to get a distance and and start hosing. You have unlimited ammo so you can adjust for the wind as long as you can spot your shots. With a 5.56 it was pretty easy to. Your primary can use the time you're shooting to get the rest of the targets and distances and be ready to take over as soon as you get your three targets.

You'll absolutely want your 3-18. The closest you'll have is 200 yards or so. You'll need the magnification. The assault stages are huge targets so parallax won't be an issue.

Also, you had better get good with pistol. Lol

Reactions: BurtG
Pistol is where I am most comfortable and confident. Roughly what size MOA targets will I be shooting with the carbine? Torso ispcs or smaller?

Definitely run the 24" and the 3-18. As for heavy vs lightweight fill for bags, it really doesn't matter as your movement stage to stage isn't timed. I wouldn't bother with the shooting sticks, shoot off your tripod or use a triple-pull Ckyepod front and tripod rear if you can't prone out.

Use the bigger armboard so you have place to write dope for each target you find and have hard data on hand even if you plan to get dope from your binos as your partner might call out a range to you (less likely since you're the carbine guy though).

Like others have said, use your unlimited ammo budget to get a good wind and verify range for your boltgunner. The best workflow is normally for the gas gunner to get to work shooting targets/getting a good wind call once you've found 4 targets. Meanwhile the boltgunner keeps scanning for more targets then once you're done on the carbine, he gets to work and you spot and scan for targets (if you haven't yet found them all).

See ya there if I can find myself a gas-gunner that doesn't have a family event that weekend, haha

Pistol is where I am most comfortable and confident. Roughly what size MOA targets will I be shooting with the carbine? Torso ispcs or smaller?
If it's like BOTC then it's your choice which targets you shoot at. Target sizes range from about 0.6 mil down to some spicy 0.2 mil ones so choose appropriately. When it's the boltgnners turn to shoot, don't necessarily have him engage the targets near to far (especially if the wind is gusty) but instead engage a "big" target and then a smaller one in the same DOF. That way you can constantly verify/correct your wind hold.

👆 Agreed. Use the 24" gun. There are some very challenging gasser targets out there. I think it says gas gun is 500 and under, but that's not a hard and fast rule. I'd run an offset red dot for assault stages. Target sizes on field courses can vary from super big and easy to 1.5 moa plates. Definitely run the 3-18 optic.
I've found the gasser guy running hard data is optimal. Get your gas gun hits and give your bolt gunner plenty of time. Do not, I repeat, do not drop gas gun targets unless its absolutely necessary.
Your need to communicate good wind to your bolt gunner.
Best practice for stages I've found work like this:
Both members find 4 targets and get good ranges. Gas gunner starts engaging while bolt gunner continues to find targets and get data. Now, here is the key; the gas gunner needs to record wind values on targets. Gasser needs to spot own misses and make a good correction. Get the bolt gunner on targets immediately after gas gunner is finished. At this time the gas gunner needs to cross reference wind holds with bolt gunner's data and give him a good wind call. Your roll has changed from being a shooter to the most helpful teammate you can be. Help build positions, give wind calls, and continue searching for targets. You need to have your bolt gunner telling you when he's engaging too so you can transition to being a good spotter, and then continue searching. As you find targets for your bolt gunner, give them their data and not a yardage. This will keep them on the gun and simplify communication. If they miss, it's your job to figure out why and give a correction on the next target.
Communicate clearly as a team. If you catch yourself saying "the targets by the bush" or "by the rocks", go ahead and choke yourself.
Don't worry about equipment weight on field courses. Take some good bags, preferably two tripods, and more carbine ammo than you think you might need. A spare bcg isn't a terrible idea to carry with you. The moon dust in NM will test your rifle. Dry lube isn't a terrible idea.
Unfortunately I can't make it out this year, and I'm definitely disappointed. Most importantly have fun and have thick skin. You and your teammate shpuld apologize to each other before you start the match everyday for the things you'll say to each other on the clock, lol. Use the evenings to do constructive critiques on each other, but you also have to let stupid mistakes go. Some guys shoot it with their wives and I think there should be a separate class for them. I'd either end up with a divorce or bullet to the head. It's such a fun and unique match. Definitely a must shoot if you call yourself a competitive shooter. You'll meet some awesome people out there. As it's your first CD match, just know, that no matter how much you prepare, you'll probably have multiple shitshows on multiple stages. That's what makes them so much fun.
Oh, don't forget to hydrate and take in electrolytes! The walks are a bit challenging and there's no water unless you steal it from the tarantulas.
Good luck!

Ranging Binos are definitely a plus, do two things at once. My partner and I both had AR-10's in 260 REM but didn't use mine (chose a bolt gun in a different caliber) but it is a great idea. Communication is key to getting on target. Calling each others wind saves time.

Ranging Binos are definitely a plus, do two things at once. My partner and I both had AR-10's in 260 REM but didn't use mine (chose a bolt gun in a different caliber) but it is a great idea. Communication is key to getting on target. Calling each others wind saves time.
Can you run a different caliber bolt instead of a gas gun at the team safari?

Do you mean 2 bolt guns? Probably, but remember the designated carbine shooter has unlimited rounds. With a semi you don't have to come off the gun if you miss, just adjust and squeeze the trigger. Remember your on the clock.

Do you mean 2 bolt guns? Probably, but remember the designated carbine shooter has unlimited rounds. With a semi you don't have to come off the gun if you miss, just adjust and squeeze the trigger. Remember your on the clock.
Ahhh misunderstood the wording on your first post. You still ran a bolt and gas as team

Thanks

Yes. But there was at least one team that ran 2 gas guns (Falkor team) they just designated one the bolt gun guy. But my idea is run two gas guns in my case 2 AR-10's in 260 with almost the same load and use each others dope.

Another question I thought of. Do you have to carry your pistol and pistol stuff on your belt through out the whole day? Kinda sounds like there is just 1 assault stage per day???? I would ideally like to keep my holster, gun and mags stored in my pack until the assault stage.

Thanks again for all the great advice and tips so far

Another question I thought of. Do you have to carry your pistol and pistol stuff on your belt through out the whole day? Kinda sounds like there is just 1 assault stage per day???? I would ideally like to keep my holster, gun and mags stored in my pack until the assault stage.

Thanks again for all the great advice and tips so far
If it's like BOTC you can keep your pistol stowed until it's time for the assault stage. We just left them in the truck, tbh.

Reactions: Baron85
Just got back from the team safari and wanted to come here and tell everyone thanks for the tips and tricks. The match was absolutely amazing. Met a lot of great people and shooters and learned so much.

We had a pretty rough start and tons of mistakes along the way and even had some tougher rainy conditions to contend with Sunday. My partner and I didn’t kill each other and are pumped to go back. Hopefully for the December match

Missed it this year. Def on the list for 2023.

Anyone got a link to the scoresheet?

I had so much fun at the team safari I went back last weekend and shot the safari special. Not as many people but still tons of fun. If you haven’t shot this match it is definitely worth it!

Reactions: dgheriani