• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Competition Pistol thread

I saw these a few weeks ago and they look amazing. I like the fact you can get the different barrels to shoot multiple division. I’m keeping an eye to see when they run another sale to get one. Have you had any issues with yours? What magazines do you run?
No issues so far. I've only tried the 9mm sight block barrel though. I also have a 9mm 3 port comp and so sight block as well.
I have a bunch of STI Gen 2 mags that jam up into the gun and won't drop free. MBX work perfectly though. The Atlas was far less picky with mags. Untuned STI Gen 1, Gen 2, or MBX run all day.

Here is my contribution. Staccato XL in 40 and a gen5 17 with delta point pro.
20200526_201223.jpg
20200525_110835.jpg

Here’s my CO gun. Old gen3 G17 I bought probably 12 year ago had been gathering dust until the SRO came out. Absolutely love shooting a pistol with an RDS.
Grip texture, optic milling and cerakote by Mod1
E16E0092-AF43-46F7-84D0-458FB434F321.jpeg

Got to put in a little work today. Looking forward to some USPSA tomorrow.
5141BD9E-EAF7-4FC6-8640-182F40C864F1.jpeg

Going to start USPSA soon. Running a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS. Currently just stock with an x300 but I'll be adding an optic, trigger, etc. I'll post some pics when i do

Reactions: 308pirate
STI Apeiro with EGW trigger job around 2lbs. It's the sight tracker with the Schumann hybrid barrel.

Attachments

• 20161226_154626.jpg
    20161226_154626.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 41
Agree. I've been shooting USPSA for two years now and just shot steel challenge for the first time last week.

It IS fun and not very complicated (almost no movement, no stage planning, no reloads on the clock).

I really can't understand the ego problems that keep so many away from competing.
Well I can only speak for myself but I guess my “ego” enjoys movement, the thinking part of the game, and reloading is kind of a fundamental aspect of shooting.
Combine that with a finite amount of time available for travel and matches and you end up not shooting steel challenge. I don’t look down on it at all. But I can stand in one place and shoot all day at home if I want.

Reactions: 308pirate
Well I can only speak for myself but I guess my “ego” enjoys movement, the thinking part of the game, and reloading is kind of a fundamental aspect of shooting.
Combine that with a finite amount of time available for travel and matches and you end up not shooting steel challenge. I don’t look down on it at all. But I can stand in one place and shoot all day at home if I want.
Maybe I didn't word my statement as clearly as I could. I wasn't taking a dig at steel challenge. I think it's fun but not as fun as running around shooting shit (USPSA).

It was just a blanket question about what keeps so many from trying shooting competition, any competition.

Here's my old beater STI from 20+ years ago. I got B stock world champion at the American Handgunner World Shootoff back then with it. This match was 15 stages of man against man on identical steel target displays. That year I fired 1100 rounds in 2.5 days during the match, man by the end of it I was a better pistol shooter after all that practice, it seemed like I went from a high B shooter to a mid A shooter!!!
Imagine doing this all day long in a 25 man squad for 3 days until you were the last guy standing! What a feeling that was!

I
DSC00174.JPG

I have a S&W 929 CS for revolver.

And finally, here's a Olympic match PCP 5 shot repeating pellet pistol.
DSC00138.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got my Rink grips from Germany after a two month wait in customs.

Attachments

• 7285BDF7-72BE-4971-80CB-B5A2FAD556B9.jpeg
    7285BDF7-72BE-4971-80CB-B5A2FAD556B9.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 51
  • ABAD2F04-DF61-42CB-BD8D-6EFA10E820E2.jpeg
    ABAD2F04-DF61-42CB-BD8D-6EFA10E820E2.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 57
  • E7A6DBCD-56B5-4B66-BCA3-52F11BB06CA5.jpeg
    E7A6DBCD-56B5-4B66-BCA3-52F11BB06CA5.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 53
  • AEF00198-A31C-44F5-BA81-A85B3257C4CC.jpeg
    AEF00198-A31C-44F5-BA81-A85B3257C4CC.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 70EAF936-F663-4CB3-A05E-9529C6788A0B.jpeg
    70EAF936-F663-4CB3-A05E-9529C6788A0B.jpeg
    662.6 KB · Views: 45
Having people watch you, judge you, and doing it on the clock is a lot of psychological pressure.

That's all true but even after you learn to tune out the world around you there is a tremendous amount of stress to run your plan flawlessly under the time pressure.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I agree with a few above started 3 gun several years ago with a XDM cuz it was cheap and a powder river trigger IMO is better than any Glock I had seen. Had 1500.00 in it when I sold it (which never comes back) and then bought an STI EDGE and a 2 lbs trigger and finally built my own 2011 with what I wanted but no way around it expensive but nice. If I had it to do all over again I would start with a 2011 but like many the sticker shock kills ya. I did look hard at the CZ Tactical Sport Orange just not as much after market.

Many pretty toys posted. Looks good all, keep the practice rounds going!

If you haven't given it a try, I highly recommend you give USPSA (carry optics division) a shot. It's addictive.

If you have a belt holster and two or three mag mag pouches and 3-4 magazines you have everything you need to start.
Meh, I cant make sense of all the rules, but keeping barrels on 300 prc and 6cm adds up🥴 so who knows.

Meh, I cant make sense of all the rules,
You don't need to know the entire rulebook. You do need to know some sections of it.

If you get there and need help let me know.

Forgot to add that I switched to the Delta Point Pro from the RMR. The DPP is waaaayyyyy better at everything except being drop-the-gun-optic-first-on-concrete proof. I'll be getting my 43X milled for the RMR soon so still putting it to good use.

DPP is for the poors

P-09 carry optics.jpg

I shot my only USPSA match with a x300 attached, just ran in the open class.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is the trigger guard screw missing on that 6 inch pistol - looks like a Calhoun Custom to my aged eyes!

Yes it is missing, it's a Cheely 6"
Nice pistol! Is that the Lone Star pistol (red grip) you're shooting? Glenn's a good dude for sure - had him build me a Limited blaster when he first started building pistols - he's come a long ways since then!

Nice pistol! Is that the Lone Star pistol (red grip) you're shooting? Glenn's a good dude for sure - had him build me a Limited blaster when he first started building pistols - he's come a long ways since then!
Yep, thats an LSI, Glen is great, been shooting that gun for about 2.5 years now. If I could ever get back to work, I'd have him build 2 more, a back-up open, and a limited gun.

Yep, thats an LSI, Glen is great, been shooting that gun for about 2.5 years now. If I could ever get back to work, I'd have him build 2 more, a back-up open, and a limited gun.
Coolest thing I got from Glenn that he used to make was an ambi-thumb safety that could be used on any existing hammer/sear set without any filing. He drilled & tapped the sear engagement lug on the thumb safety for an adjustable set screw that turned in or out and allowed it to be used with any existing hammer/sear set in your 1911/2011 pistol by simply adjusting the set screw. I switched that safety on multiple 2011's and still use it to this day.

Reactions: Redfisher60
Here’s my CO gun. Old gen3 G17 I bought probably 12 year ago had been gathering dust until the SRO came out. Absolutely love shooting a pistol with an RDS.
Grip texture, optic milling and cerakote by Mod1
View attachment 7394255
Got to put in a little work today. Looking forward to some USPSA tomorrow.View attachment 7394256

Carry optics is too much fun

2021 is the year I've decided to make me like striker-fired pistols

So I dragged out the P-10F, moved the SRO to it, and sprinkled some majik dust (silicon carbide) on it to see how we do...........

P-10F SRO.jpg

I’ve been shooting IDPA and USPSA matches for about 12 years now. My favorite is IDPA shooting in the CDP division. While IDPA is generally easier to shoot in than USPSA, it is more real world carry oriented. IDPA is also less of an equipment race than what USPSA can be.

In IDPA, you generally run a course of fire in a defensive mindset. In USPSA, you run with an offensive mindset. Both games are their own kind of fun. IDPA scoring places a higher weight on accuracy vs speed , while USPSA scoring favors speed over accuracy a little more.

When I do shoot USPSA, I do enjoy the extra challenge of shooting Single Stack major with my IDPA gun. 8+1 capacity in a 32 round course of fire requires you to really have a solid stage plan.

A lot of casual shooters seem to shy away from the shooting competition scene. I mainly compete to keep my skill set sharp and to improve myself if there is room for it physically and mentally. I shoot with a lot of other like minded folks that shoot for the same reason. The nice thing about shooting with a regular crowd is that while everyone's shooting abilities may vary, they also serve to each other as a performance benchmark to compare with to see if you or they are improving as time goes on. IDPA generally has more laid back shooters that are more willing to give advice and encouragement than the sometimes uptight, more competitive USPSA shooters.

I probably only have about $1200 in my whole 1911 setup counting gun mods, magazines, mag pouches, and holster. Its a Kimber Stainless 2 with a Nighthawk Custom carry magwell, Harris Tru Radius sear, EGW oversize firing pin stop, and a Hogue wraparound grip. Recoil spring is a Wolff 16.5lb variable rate and the mainspring is a 23lb Colt spec. The 1/16” radius on the bottom of the firing pin stop with these spring weights works surprisingly well for flat cycling with 230gr RN at 750fps.
Kimber 1911.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been shooting IDPA and USPSA matches for about 12 years now. My favorite is IDPA shooting in the CDP division. While IDPA is generally easier to shoot in than USPSA, it is more real world carry oriented. IDPA is also less of an equipment race than what USPSA can be.

In IDPA, you generally run a course of fire in a defensive mindset. In USPSA, you run with an offensive mindset. Both games are their own kind of fun. IDPA scoring places a higher weight on accuracy vs speed , while USPSA scoring favors speed over accuracy a little more.

When I do shoot USPSA, I do enjoy the extra challenge of shooting Single Stack major with my IDPA gun. 8+1 capacity in a 32 round course of fire requires you to really have a solid stage plan.

A lot of casual shooters seem to shy away from the shooting competition scene. I mainly compete to keep my skill set sharp and to improve myself if there is room for it physically and mentally. I shoot with a lot of other like minded folks that shoot for the same reason. The nice thing about shooting with a regular crowd is that while everyone's shooting abilities may vary, they also serve to each other as a performance benchmark to compare with to see if you or they are improving as time goes on. IDPA generally has more laid back shooters that are more willing to give advice and encouragement than the sometimes uptight, more competitive USPSA shooters.

I probably only have about $1200 in my whole 1911 setup counting gun mods, magazines, mag pouches, and holster. Its a Kimber Stainless 2 with a Nighthawk Custom carry magwell, Harris Tru Radius sear, EGW oversize firing pin stop, and a Hogue wraparound grip. Recoil spring is a Wolff 16.5lb variable rate and the mainspring is a 23lb Colt spec. The 1/16” radius on the bottom of the firing pin stop with these spring weights works surprisingly well for flat cycling with 230gr RN at 750fps.View attachment 7513280

I'm going to agree with some of your observations and offer a different point of view on others. I don't do this to be argumentative or attack your observations. I'm doing this for those who might be on the fence to have a more complete picture (or an alternative point of view) of both sports.

IDPA is very loosely based on self defense scenarios but they bear almost zero resemblance to reality. Most of IDPA's "tactical" rules are complete nonsense. I won't go into that here but suffice it to say that trying to tie IDPA into any sort of tactical reality is a fool's errand. It's a game whose founding premise was "we'll do the opposite of USPSA".

My biggest problem with IDPA is the paint by the numbers approach: go to P1 and shoot T1 - T3, then go to P2.......etc. It IS possible to design stages where you are free to make your own plan and still avoid breaking rules like exposing oneself to unengaged targets but that would require two things: stage design creativity and shooters who actually know the rules well enough to come up with a legal stage plan. IME, most IDPA shooters never even open a fucking rulebook and rely on tribal knowledge. Some SOs have tried to give me procedurals when I've gamed stages in ways that are legal but that no one else thought of. All I tell them is "show me on the book where it says I can't".

Let's talk equipment race. If you stay out of Limited and Open, USPSA is no more of an equipment race than IDPA is. Compare the modifications allowed in IDPA carry optics, ESP, and CDP to USPSA carry optics, production, and single stack and you'll notice that they are functionally the same. A kydex holster, two or three mag pouches, and a real nylon carry belt will cost almost as much as a USPSA double belt rig.

I started my handgun competition in IDPA, drifted away to compete in rifle and shotgun sports, then when I came back to handguns I tried USPSA and quickly figured out that USPSA is the deep end of the pool where talent and skill are much higher at least in my local area.

When I do shoot IDPA, I attack stages as aggressively as I do in USPSA while staying within IDPA rules. When I say aggressively it means I draw as fast, shoot as fast (while still getting very, very few points down), move as fast, reload as fast, and shoot on the move wherever I can. Now that IDPA uses fault lines, I execute my position entries and exits same as I do in USPSA, using the fault line angles to expose and shoot at the first target on my way in and seamlessly transition into slicing the pie with no delay. The end result is that while I'm a B class shooter in USPSA I end up placing in the top five overall at just about every IDPA match I go to. The last one I shot in, Sunday before yesterday, I took second overall to a Master who beat me by 0.47 seconds in total time and only because he had one point down less than me (my raw time was faster than his). I won Carry Optics in that match by an almost 15 second margin.

I agree with you that IDPA heavily favors accuracy. I think that leads the majority of IDPA shooters to never develop speed without sacrificing accuracy. Some do, and most of those who do are likely USPSA shooters as well.

USPSA scoring is little understood by a lot of people. The scoring is based on your ability to score more points per second that others. It seems that you can blaze away taking A-C hits everywhere and still beat others who are slightly slowed but more accurate. Well that depends on which division you're shooting in. Open and Limited, and to a lesser degree Single Stack, let you do that when you shoot major power factor since C and D hits are worth more points to them. In divisions where only minor power factor exists, you better be shooting 90%+ Alphas very quickly if you want to be competitive, almost like IDPA come to think of it.

What a lot of IDPA shooters fail to realize are that tactical mistakes like hitting a no-shoot or missing an engageable target are penalize far more severely in USPSA. If you miss a shot at a threat target in IDPA, you get 5 seconds added to your time. In USPSA (where scoring is points/seconds) you not only not get the points you could have scored had you hit the target, you also get TEN points deducted from your score. Hitting a no-shoot in IDPA is a 3 second penalty, in USPSA it's a ten point deduction.

Unlike you, I haven't found anyone at my local USPSA circuit to be an aloof dickhead. Most of us do take it seriously but no one takes it to the extreme of being unfriendly, unapproachable, or unwilling to help other shooters. I routinely bounce stage plan ideas or questions with guys I know who are masters and grand masters and not a single one has ever done anything but be helpful and friendly. Hell, Bob Vogel showed up at one of the indoor USPSA matches around here and I saw him engage with a bunch of noobs without any attitude.

The IDPA guys I shoot with are just as friendly, but like I said before the local IDPA talent pool is very shallow and most of them really should not be giving shooting advice to anyone. Most of the ones that are good are also USPSA crossovers.

Any IDPA shooter who wants to try USPSA can get started with exactly what they have. An SSP shooter can jump right into Production with their current holster, belt, and mag pouches as long as he has enough magazines and pouches (typically five mags and four or five pouches). Everyone should have plenty of mags for whatever pistol they shoot, and buying 2 or 3 more pouches is no big handicap when they cost $20 online from just about anyone.

Same with Carry Optics. An IDPA CO shooter needs nothing to start playing USPSA, just have three mags on the belt, fill them up to capacity, and take off the magwell (allowed in IDPA CO but not in USPSA CO) if they have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redfisher60