• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Competition seating die worth it?

Re: Competition seating die worth it?

yes they`re worth it.they are comparable to an inline seater.Forester makes them for 1/2 of what redding gets....and just as good.I own/use both
bill larson

Yes, no doubt about it. It's one of the few things I don't bother being a tight ass about.

I recently changed over to the Redding dies for both 308 and 338LM from RCBS Gold Medal and they are working great for me. I saw a definite improvement in reduced runnout so I just sold the 338LM RCBS Gold Medal dies and am getting ready to sell the 308 RCBS Gold Medal dies.

yes but the forster micrometer is better.

i bought both for my 308 but after using the forster, i bought only the forster for my 260.

Another "Forster Fan" here. Their benchrest seater is the old Bonanza style die that holds the case nice and straight in a sleeve while being pushed up to join the bullet which is also held in a nice snug sleeve.

When I changed to this die from my Redding and RCBS dies, my Total Incicated Runout dropped to <.001" on just about every finished cartridge.

No more need to start the seating process then stopping, rotating the case, starting again, then even stopping for another rotation in order to minimize run-out.

I did make the mistake of not getting the micrometer model. Yes, it makes it easier to adjust OAL but the micrometer model also keeps one from getting regular gouges on their wrist/forearm from the long adjusting screw that's exposed on the regular model.

Forster Ultra seating die, I would go that route.. Oh right, I did go that route!!

I don't have a micrometer to measure runout but I sure do like the mic on the die. I know the redding has the mic too but Redding die is like $20 more I think.
A side by side runout comparison between the two seater models would be very interesting to see. I wish I knew someone here who has both.

On precision rifle reloading IMHO there a gotta have, blasting ammo normal dies are fine.

I have Reddings in 223 and 308 and a Forster in 260 Rem. Loaded up some 223 last night and average runout was around .001" total with a couple going to .002". All were correctable to under .0005".

Get the same results with the 260 Forster seating die. Yes, they are well worth the cost.

Don't know how big a difference it makes but I also use Lee collet neck sizing dies after bumping the shoulders with Redding body dies.

OFG

I like my rcbs competition die..I really like the window you can drop the bullets into..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster Ultra seating die, I would go that route.. Oh right, I did go that route!!

I don't have a micrometer to measure runout but I sure do like the mic on the die. I know the redding has the mic too but Redding die is like $20 more I think.
A side by side runout comparison between the two seater models would be very interesting to see. I wish I knew someone here who has both. </div></div>

here's one pretty good comparo..btw, they are both tier one.

comparo

<span style="font-style: italic">"Is the Redding competition seater worth it?"</span>

That depends on you and your rifle. IF you're both consistantly capabile of better than maybe 3/4 MOA, yeah, a little bit. But no seater is magic, the loader still has to do good work or the die is meaningless. And no seater can produce straight ammo in bent-neck cases, which are quite common.

There is no automatic "quality" difference between Redding and Forster. They both have basically the same straight-line design, Forster bought Bonanza decades ago and Redding copied their seater when the patient protections expired.

None of the short sliding alignment sleeve seater dies - currently meaning Hornady and both of the costly RCBS versions - are as consistantly good as the Forster/Reddings. I prefer Forster's because of the reduced price.

Micrometer seater heads are nothing but user aids, they add absolutely nothing to the quality of the ammo that can be produced. I only bought mic heads for the first two, everything else has conventional seating adjustments.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Redding die is like $20 more I think. A side by side runout comparison between the two seater models would be very interesting to see. I wish I knew someone here who has both."</span>

I have several Forster's but only one Redding; I buy Forster's because of the price, not the comparison. Citing the results of just ONE sample of anything (or, for usable statistics, a dozen samples) means nothing so I won't say what results I see between my half dozen Forsters and one Redding seater. But it isn't much and it can't be seen on targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Micrometer seater heads are nothing but user aids, they add absolutely nothing to the quality of the ammo that can be produced. </div></div>

While I agree that one can produce the same runout and COAL from a non micrometer die;

Given a "need" to produce one cartrige at 2.840, one cartrige at 2.842, one cartrige at 2.844, one cartrige at 2.846, ... ;

A micrometer head is about the only real way to get this kind of experimetal stuff done. It is just that we need to be able to do this so seldomly.

I have both redding and forster. I normally prefer Forster seaters due to being cheaper and getting the same result. Also because they(well bonanza) came up with the sliding sleeve concept.

My dilemma now is with my 6.5 creedmoor. Forster does not make dies for this yet. The redding is almost $150 just for the seater. Hornady has sliding sleeve seater that can have the micrometer added. I've never used hornady dies, but I like their products. My question is, should I spend the money on the redding or will the hornady be equal?

Yes.

Tried others, so far Forster works for me.

For calibers I can't get from Forster, Hornady so far has been the one that works for me.

I don't use the micrometer features, just the 'bench rest' models.

<span style="font-style: italic">"A micrometer head is about the only real way to get this kind of experimetal stuff done. It is just that we need to be able to do this so seldomly."</span>

True. But, what does high precision of OAL mean anyway?

It's not cartridge length, as such, that matters to the load, it's the jump to the rifling. And even that has a 'tolerance' range in which small variations make no difference. I use my Hornady case gage/bullet comparator tools on a dial caliper to set seating depth and, with a little practice, it's not difficult to seat it within any range I seek even without the mic heads. But, I agree the mic heads are nice if we're willing to pay for 'em.

Prebanpaul same date as my daughter...great day for a birthday

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"A micrometer head is about the only real way to get this kind of experimetal stuff done. It is just that we need to be able to do this so seldomly."</span>

It's not cartridge length, as such, that matters to the load, it's the jump to the rifling. And even that has a 'tolerance' range in which small variations make no difference. I use my Hornady case gage/bullet comparator tools on a dial caliper to set seating depth and, with a little practice, it's not difficult to seat it within any range I seek even without the mic heads. But, I agree the mic heads are nice if we're willing to pay for 'em. </div></div>

Mic heads are worth it if you load different bullets. I have the mic setting written down in my notes for each bullet. Also if you're experimenting with seating depth it is easy do dial .005 or .010, etc. no need to keep checking with calipers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Micrometer seater heads are nothing but user aids, they add absolutely nothing to the quality of the ammo that can be produced.
</div></div>

But the micrometer head does cover the excess threaded rod that sticks out of the die. Less scratches and gouges when one forgets it's there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kvwpwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #FF0000">Mic heads are worth it if you load different bullets.</span> I have the mic setting written down in my notes for each bullet. Also if you're experimenting with seating depth it is easy do dial .005 or .010, etc. no need to keep checking with calipers </div></div>

They are worth the extra cost for that reason alone.
I've seen no difference in the accuracy of the ammo between the benchrest dies and the micrometer dies.

How do these dies compare, in terms of runout, to the wilson hand dies that are used with an arbor press for seating?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these dies compare, in terms of runout, to the wilson hand dies that are used with an arbor press for seating? </div></div>

They are the only dies that are used in a conventional press that will get as close as the Wilson type dies in an arbor press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"A micrometer head is about the only real way to get this kind of experimetal stuff done. It is just that we need to be able to do this so seldomly."</span>

</div></div>

OK, you got me! What I really meant to say way high precision jump distance from the ogive to the lands.

I wouldn't load match ammo with either the redding or forster comp seating die so: hell yes they are worth it.

Cheers.

Anyone use the Forster or Redding comp die to load 30-06/.308 on a Dillon S1050?

If yes, any issue with the sleeve hanging lower than the final COAL of your cartridge which causes issues when the shell plate rotates?

I used lee (still do for collet sizing virgin brass and for resizing) for years and they worked great. I finally decided to get a redding comp seater die and it's worth it's weight in gold. The micrometer let's you know exactly where to be. Use it with an oal gauge and bullet comparator and I promise you will have the best chance of getting the full potential of your rifle (besides brass prep and all the other bs that goes along with trying to have everything consistent)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't load match ammo with either the redding or forster comp seating die so: hell yes they are worth it.

Cheers. </div></div>

Huh?

I have used the Forster match seating die to load .556 on the Dillon 1050. It requires a small notch cut into the sliding sleeve so the bullet will clear the die after seating as the loaded round rotates to the drop position.

The only way to load .308 on a progressive machine is to use new brass or processed brass that has been resized. I use a 1050 to size and trim brass and a second 1050 to actually load the round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the micrometer model also keeps one from getting regular gouges on their wrist/forearm from the long adjusting screw that's exposed on the regular model.</div></div>

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has gotten the unexpected wrist scrape from time to time!
smile.gif