• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Competition Shooting: M&P9 vs Glock 17

navajo1018

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
The UC, UT
My wife has decided to get into shooting IDPA and the like with me and wants to graduate from shooting a .22lr. She wants to shoot a hicap 9mm, I own a M&P9, replaced the factory sights and have enjoyed the pistol. She is considering a Glock for the plethora of extended controls (she has midget thumbs).

My question is for those of you that have owned both. Are there real world advantages to the Glock over the M&P? She can just shoot my pistol but she wants her own.

Re: Competition Shooting: M&P9 vs Glock 17

I am not a competition shooter but my wife and I own a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P Pro series, hands down we prefer the S&W. Check out the Pro Series model, the trigger is awesome and IMHO it feels better in my hand, it also comes with 3 different size palm grips.

Let me first say I own both a Glock 34 and a M&P Pro 9L.I would look at the 34 if you are looking at a Glock for these reasons. Longer sight radius bigger magazine release and extended slide release. Also comes with the 3.5lb trigger.

My Glocks run nothing more to say.

My M&P while it fits my hands better and has a nicer trigger it has let me down. First right out of the box I was having failure to fire. I put an Apex trigger kit in it with a near striker spring and that issue was resolved. Then after only about 1K rounds I took it to a carbine rifle class. There I had numerous failure to extract and stove pipes. I sent in they replaced the extractor, spring and also polished up the feed ramp and chamber. I have put a couple hundred rounds through the pistol since then and it has been sitting in the safe. Also the metal take down lever gets hot as hell if you shoot that gun a lot so make sure to wear gloves if you have big hands.

M&P and switch the mag release to the other side.

First off, I run g19's for IDPA competition. But in her case, I would consider the m&p over the glock just because you can put in the smaller grip for her. This should help her with control and manipulating the pistol. And also switch the mag release side as the above poster stated, would help for mag release.

I used to shoot glock in comps and now I have been more than happy to have switched to the M&P. A great gun and there is so much that can be done to improve on an already great handgun.
APEX is the best thing to fix the poor trigger. Get the M&P!

Why spend more money for the M&P THEN spend an additional 100 bucks on top of that to improve the trigger?

Buy a Gen 4 Glock, buy 25 dollars in springs and a connector that can be changed by yourself in a matter of 10 minutes, put the small backstrap on it and be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend more money for the M&P THEN spend an additional 100 bucks on top of that to improve the trigger?

Buy a Gen 4 Glock, buy 25 dollars in springs and a connector that can be changed by yourself in a matter of 10 minutes, put the small backstrap on it and be done with it. </div></div>
Because Outsy you don't have to spend $100 to fix the trigger. Buy the spring kit and you will have the same as if you purchased a spring kit for a Glock. With some skills on the existing trigger you can get a M&P down to under 3 lbs. I can do the same with a glock.
The Spring kits are great for people who want to just change some springs and have a better trigger. Why buy a glock with a plastic guide rod
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend more money for the M&P THEN spend an additional 100 bucks on top of that to improve the trigger?

Buy a Gen 4 Glock, buy 25 dollars in springs and a connector that can be changed by yourself in a matter of 10 minutes, put the small backstrap on it and be done with it. </div></div>
Because Outsy you don't have to spend $100 to fix the trigger. Buy the spring kit and you will have the same as if you purchased a spring kit for a Glock. With some skills on the existing trigger you can get a M&P down to under 3 lbs. I can do the same with a glock.
The Spring kits are great for people who want to just change some springs and have a better trigger. Why buy a glock with a plastic guide rod
smile.gif
</div></div>

What about the fact that you cant feel a M&P trigger reset ?

An M&P wants to be a Glock ... its ok ...

And who cares about a plastic guiderod ? Frame rails are doing the slide guiding ... not the recoil spring rod.

I have both a S&W 9mm FS gun and a Glock 17 Gen 4.

M&P *vs. G17 Gen 4
1.) Better control of the firearm with small backstraps (for someone like the OPs wife, Glock std. grip will be larger dia.)
2.) More reliable for me, of the 3 I own, all have been good to go out of the box

Glock 17 Gen 4

1.) More aftermarket support for extended controls, etc.
2.) More accurate, in my experience, past 50 feet
3.) Easier to make minor PF with (generally) faster polygonal rifled barrels and a slightly longer one (by ~.24") so I pick up ~40-45 fps. with the same load, so I can shoot a slightly softer load and still make minor.

I was in the same situation, wanting to run 1 of these 2 pistols for IDPA. I'm still torn between the two. I shoot the Glock better, and like the Vanek classic trigger (with a Wolff reduced power striker spring over the Vanek one) I have better than the full Apex trigger kit + RAM (or the FSS trigger I have in another gun). The Glock shoots flatter for me as well.

However, I do not trust my Glock to function 100% even though I have it running somewhat acceptably, and I would never carry it for SD, therefore, I've gone back to the M&P for now. The only thing really lacking for me with the M&P is accuracy at distance, particularly since I'm left handed and like the fully ambi controls of the M&P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend more money for the M&P THEN spend an additional 100 bucks on top of that to improve the trigger?

smile.gif
</div></div>

What about the fact that you cant feel a M&P trigger reset ?

An M&P wants to be a Glock ... its ok ...

And who cares about a plastic guiderod ? Frame rails are doing the slide guiding ... not the recoil spring rod.
</div></div>
If an M&P wanted to be a glock it wouldn't have been built to such a higher standard. Its like saying glock wants to be made in america but at the end of the day we all know thats a lie.

Of the two, it's about a wash.

I've owned many Glocks and the only two I have left are a G19C for carry and G34 that I gave my wife. For competition (USPSA Production, IDPA ESP and 3-Gun) I picked up a M&P 9Pro. I owned an early M&P back in 2008 and never should have sold it. That thought was eliminated the first time I picked up the 9L/9Pro. The longer slide balances the gun perfect.

As for trigger jobs, both can be done easily with some quality parts. On the complaint of the M&P reset, mine was sent to Dan Burwell and while not near as positive as the Glock 'CLANK' it's more than enough.

Downside to the 9L/9Pro. Good luck finding one for sale.

Which to get? Shoot both and then decide which you like. If you don't like one or the other, you'll be able to sell/trade in either for the other.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of the two, it's about a wash.

I've owned many Glocks and the only two I have left are a G19C for carry and G34 that I gave my wife. For competition (USPSA Production, IDPA ESP and 3-Gun) I picked up a M&P 9Pro. I owned an early M&P back in 2008 and never should have sold it. That thought was eliminated the first time I picked up the 9L/9Pro. The longer slide balances the gun perfect.

<span style="color: #FF0000">As for trigger jobs, both can be done easily with some quality parts. On the complaint of the M&P reset, mine was sent to Dan Burwell and while not near as positive as the Glock 'CLANK' it's more than enough.</span>

Downside to the 9L/9Pro. Good luck finding one for sale.

Which to get? Shoot both and then decide which you like. If you don't like one or the other, you'll be able to sell/trade in either for the other.

Rich
</div></div>

Rich, and the cost of the M&P trigger job in comparison to the Glock trigger job is?

An APEX kit or Burwell trigger job costs how much? Dont forget to include the shipping that is needed to be done as well.

I started shooting USPSA w/a G17 because I already had one. Later I moved on to a tricked out 24 and now shoot a STI. I like the Glocks and never had any issues with them. My wife bought a M&P Pro and loves it. With the small grip in place she can reach the controls where she struggled with the med. size Glock frame. It has worked every time the trigger's been pulled except for when she limp wristed it couple times the first time she shot it.

IMO the Pro is ready to go out of the box for comps. The Glock is too but I prefer the FO front sight on the S&W to the factory Glock sights. The sight picture is closer to what I'm used to on my ltd gun (FO w/Bomar rear) and the grip angle is more comfortable to me now too then the Glock.

Also, polishing the sear and engagement surfaces in the M&P is fairly easy to do, and the result has been fantastic so far.

Cost me... what, $3.98 in a few sheets of high grit metal sandpaper.

Outsy I highly doubt someone is going to 'switch sides' over a 30 dollar trigger kit difference. Also who cares how much the trigger job costs, for the same price of a brand new 4th gen glock you can have a brand new m&p (non pro) with full apex kit installed. Also Burwell charges 65 plus shipping to do his trigger job but he posts instructions on how to do it on his website for those who are more handy.

First off I'm a Glock guy, but I do like the M&P, from a competition stand point though the Glock is the second to the 1911, M&P is gaining ground, and fast, take your wife to a range that rents pistols and let her try before buying.

I'm a Glock guy, so that's where my vote would be cast. The G34s popularity is undeniable. The idea mentioned of going to a range where they could be rented is a good one if that is an option.

It's all about the .250 of an inch of plastic that Glock won't add to the beavertail for Me . Every time I shoot a Glock I bleed from the slide running across the web of my hand . Just got rid of my 35 for an M&P and it works way better for my ginormous hands . I know I'm not the only one with the problem with all the people doing frame mods on Glock's .

I hate to be the one who says this. But you should take her and let her shoot them both at a range. You can usually rent range guns. And then........ Let her choose! Crazy concept eh'

It's a wash in terms of reliability. I've had no problem with either. However, I prefer the M&P. It just feels better in my hands and with the after market trigger parts, it's the only striker fire gun where I actually like the trigger. It's no 1911 but it's pretty damn good.

I know you asked specifically asked about the M&P and Glock, but has she considered the Springfield XDM in 9mm. I shoot it in 3-gun matches and in the service auto match for PPC. The extra round count (19+1) is great for 3-gun and the accuracy is there for PPC. It might be work looking into. Sorry for the monkey wrench.

Between the M&P and Glock, I would go with the Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TampaSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you asked specifically asked about the M&P and Glock, but has she considered the Springfield XDM in 9mm. I shoot it in 3-gun matches and in the service auto match for PPC. The extra round count (19+1) is great for 3-gun and the accuracy is there for PPC. It might be work looking into. Sorry for the monkey wrench.

Between the M&P and Glock, I would go with the Glock. </div></div>
I had so many issues with my XD that I don't think Springfield could bring me back except for their 1911s. I have had issues with glock but with some more money and some cheap fixes they work good. The M&Ps have just worked for me like no other handgun so I will never switch from Smith and Wesson back to glock or XD. I sold all my XD handguns and still have some glocks and M&Ps. JMHO

Out of curiosity, what issues? Note, I suggested the XDM which Springfield has made numerous mortification too. For clarification, I did not nor would I not recommend the XD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TampaSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, what issues? Note, I suggested the XDM which Springfield has made numerous mortification too. For clarification, I did not nor would I not recommend the XD. </div></div>
You are right that you said the XDM and I note that the XDM is the better of the two and I have NOT spent much time with the XDM while I have spent allot of time with the basic XD. I had light primer strikes all the time, changes the springs which did nothing so I changed the fireing pin and still nothing sent the gun back and it shot worse than when I sent it in. Took five months to get it to work and even at that it was iffy so I sold it along with my other two XDs because of similier issues. I have never had these problems with an M&P or Glock. I have had the guide rod break on a glock that was the biggest pain in the ass to remove the slide and fix the problem.

I have the XD and the M & P... I also like Glocks... XD isn't my idea of a good competition gun because it just feels like the slide is a 2 x 4 on top of my hand. Glocks don't fit me, but the M & P just works for me. I shoot mine in IDPA and Steel Challenge with the Apex Duty kit... Honestly Glock or M & P would be fine. Let her hold each one because at the end of the day ONE will feel best in her hand after replacing the back strap.

The M&P are nice pistols, but i prefer glock with a 3.5lb connector, marine corp plunger (incase I want to shoot underwater) and a polish job. The M&P's are overpriced since they are new and will go the way of the glock in terms of price when the next new thing comes out. I am of the camp that you buy a pistol that fits your hand and makes you look good in terms of group size, follow up shots, and target to target transition. I have owned only one gun with removable backstraps and its gone. I am also think that the XD45 si the 1911 of polymer pistols and I love my 1911's.

All I hqve to say is, you cant go wrong with either. I personally have shot all 3, but still carry a Glock 17, or Glock 19 they are my favorite shooters. They are at home for idpa as well good luck and enjoy.

suprised no one has said anything about a second gen glock 19 or haveing a grip mod done to a gen 3. My wife has small hands and she hated anything but a 1911 until i got a sencond gen glock 19 in her hands now its all she shoots

Potatoes, potatoes. I own both, and have shot both in IDPA as well as USPSA. I personally favor the Glock as I have been shooting them since my first Gen 1 17. My M&P is also a great gun. I can say that as far as reliability, if you never have a gun that malfunctions, you are not shooting it enough. Range time will tell, and comfort level as well. Training is key. I do not believe in one or the other, especially if there is an opportunity to train and become proficient with both.

Aftermarket parts are also a personal preference for both pistols. Simplicity and repetition is key to reliability. Front sights are a must change on both guns for competition.
A good holster is as well. Practice = Proficiency.

I've always shot a G35 in USPSA comps and load my rounds for either major or minor.. I like the options I get with one caliber. The short trigger reset on the Glock is where it shines for me. That being said I have no idea on if the M&P is the same as I don't own one, but I've been looking to possibly pick on up to try for some time.. just haven't pulled the trigger yet, literally.

If it doesn't feel right.. it won't shoot right.. so start there with your wife. Feel is a huge part of getting on target.

How about you let her shoot both then let her decide. I shoot Gen3 9mm glocks but am sure that I could adapt to an M&P. I feel the reliability of the Gen3 9mm's outweigh its disadvantages.

As for the plastic guide rod, really? a $7 part. I bought 5 for each pistol I own and replace them every 5k rounds. I have heard of pistols going over 25k before there was any problem.