• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Completed .22lr trainer in AICS

OnyxSkyDV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Finally got the AICS in, and the 40XB mounted up. I definitely like the ergo's of the AICS, and the mono-pod feels like cheating.
smile.gif

Onyx
4609444658_b1c60994c2_b.jpg

Re: Completed .22lr trainer in AICS

I REALLY REALLY HATE SHOW OFFS. I envy you, great stick you have. I got dibs first if you ever decide to sell.

Very cool. Anyone yet make a mag that will work with the 40X repeaters and the AICS??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone yet make a mag that will work with the 40X repeaters and the AICS??</div></div>

It sounds like one or two have been fab'ed up and made work with a fair bit of effort, but have not heard of a commercially offered service to take your 40XB and do so yet. I'm hoping it will happen someday.
smile.gif
(and convert my single shot to a repeater)

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I REALLY REALLY HATE SHOW OFFS. I envy you, great stick you have. I got dibs first if you ever decide to sell. </div></div>

Thanks man!

Onyx

Now that is class. If only, I didn't have child support.
Nice job.

Rifle looks beautiful. Awaiting your range report.

Nice Looking Weapon.. Do you like the monopod? I am considering one.. Let us know how this shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa!

Amazing!

Now that's taking your hobby seriously! </div></div>
Taking your hobby seriously is when you have GAP build you one in an AICS with a PH on it, someone on here has one built by moon, cant remember who thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Taking your hobby seriously is when you have GAP build you one in an AICS with a PH on it, someone on here has one built by moon, cant remember who thought. </div></div>

SURGE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa!

Amazing!

Taking your hobby seriously is when you have GAP build you one in an AICS with a PH on it, someone on here has one built by moon, cant remember who thought. </div></div>

The original poster (Onyx) did a great job with his 40x.

I take mine pretty seriously but don't have it built by GAP or Pharr and definitely don't have the Premier Heritage scope on mine....just a US Optics.

But wait why does GAP have to work on the 40x .22LR? Remington did a DAMN GOOD job on the CMP 40x .22LR already. Here is mine:

2wox6o9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle looks beautiful. Awaiting your range report. </div></div>

The thing shoots great, and that's with crappy ammo. I just put some Fiocchi match ammo through it today, and it was a marked improvement over the value box stuff. With luck I can get some Eley match ammo (black box), as I have been told that is the stuff to have.
smile.gif

For now, I have a 4" AR500 steel swinging target at about 75 yards off the patio, and it's boringly easy to hit, and nothing but giggles at the same time.

New shooters love this thing as it's so easy to shoot and hit the steel, and really gives them a positive re-enforcement, and a sense of accomplishment.

Will post target pics in the future after I get the good ammo.
smile.gif

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Looking Weapon.. Do you like the monopod? I am considering one.. Let us know how this shoots. </div></div>

So far, I LOVE the mono-pod. It's so stable it feels like cheating. You can use the thing as a spotting scope with that set up.

Between the mono-pod and the red tac rear bag I have, and failures to hit are all on me.
smile.gif

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But wait why does GAP have to work on the 40x .22LR? Remington did a DAMN GOOD job on the CMP 40x .22LR already. Here is mine:</div></div>

I agree, the 40XB is a shooter right out of the box. I'll save my pennies for a .260 I want to build into this AICS later.

Gszeto99, your rifle looks great! What is the length on your barrel, it looks shorter than mine. I still need to get my barrel threaded for a can, as I have a SWR Spectre ready to go on.

Cheers!

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking your hobby seriously is when you have GAP build you one in an AICS with a PH on it, someone on here has one built by moon, cant remember who thought. </div></div>

That was a beautiful rifle that GAP worked up. Having a repeater would be really nice, but this 40XB was a shockingly good price for how well it shoots. I'm sorry I didn't order more than one.
smile.gif

Cheers!

Onyx

Onyx, That is a great looking rifle. I would love to have a 40x build in 22LR one day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onyx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But wait why does GAP have to work on the 40x .22LR? Remington did a DAMN GOOD job on the CMP 40x .22LR already. Here is mine:</div></div>

I agree, the 40XB is a shooter right out of the box. I'll save my pennies for a .260 I want to build into this AICS later.

Gszeto99, your rifle looks great! What is the length on your barrel, it looks shorter than mine. I still need to get my barrel threaded for a can, as I have a SWR Spectre ready to go on.

Cheers!

Onyx </div></div>

Thanks for the compliment. 20" from recoil lug to muzzle with 11 degree crown with no chamfering like in many barrels. Best group to date were all nearly in the same hole except 1 called flier at 114yards. I was really concerned because after getting the barrel cut and recrowned the first shot landed the bullet 30 MOA down from original zero at 50 yards. And my groups openned up quite a bit after the cut and recrown. What really scared me was someone who shoots his 40x a lot told me that Remington puts a slight choke during the last 2 inchs of a 28" barrel (I cut nearly 8" off). The rifle has settled down somewhat and shoots great, however once in a while fliers do happen--I think it might be the wolf match target ammo I am using. I think I might start sorting the wolf match target ammo to see if I can eliminate the fliers. Your 40x with the right ammo should be able to hit 1" swingers at 100y easily. Enjoy your 40X.

Very purty... I can't believe y'all both went with folders. Y'all don't mess around. I always think that the 1.5 is a mistake, but for rimfire, even I would probably skimp and go with 1.5. Except maybe if I had a short case set up for a folding stock. My 40X is looong (in a McMillan). 32" barrel and I have a difficult time getting it to fit in some vehicles.

But she shoots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa!

Amazing!

The original poster (Onyx) did a great job with his 40x.

I take mine pretty seriously but don't have it built by GAP or Pharr and definitely don't have the Premier Heritage scope on mine....just a US Optics.

But wait why does GAP have to work on the 40x .22LR? Remington did a DAMN GOOD job on the CMP 40x .22LR already. Here is mine:

2wox6o9.jpg
</div></div>

Thats sick nasty, very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joey762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hated it in combat on the mk13, only because its uncomfortable off-hand shooting. </div></div>

What part of it was uncomfortable for you? The wide base of the stock, or something else?

For me, the 40XB in heavy barrel is so heavy, that combined with the stock, I'm unlikely to hit much offhand with it, unless it's close enough to swing like a bat for it.
smile.gif
I normally shoot prone or off a bench (thus the short bipod) so it's ideal for me right now. The benefit of not having my targets shoot back at me I guess.
smile.gif

Cheers!

Onyx

A serious practice piece. Nice build. I should have gone this route instead of looking to do this with a 77/22.

No, I think JRose (if that's who has it, can't remember) own's the Mother of all Trainers. It is a Hall repeater action in an AICS with the mag system worked up by Moon.

A great rifle. Congratulations Onyx and gszeto99.

Now I want to build one similar too. Could you please clue me in a bit? Which model of the 40X you started off with? I looked up Remington Customshop and saw that they only have the 457 Classic in .22LR

Many thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jinta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great rifle. Congratulations Onyx and gszeto99.

Now I want to build one similar too. Could you please clue me in a bit? Which model of the 40X you started off with? I looked up Remington Customshop and saw that they only have the 457 Classic in .22LR

Many thanks. </div></div>

I started off with CMP 40xHB (the HEAVY barrel version). Added the AICS 2.0, Ken Farrell 10 MOA base, Badger Ordnance STD (308-06?) rings, US Optics ST-10 with ERGO, 1/4MOA EREK, 44mm low profile, MOA type 1 Reticle, #3 1/4MOA with windage stop, Illumination (11 step Red). I also had the barrel cut to 20".
Torqued the action screws to 50in-lb.

What else do you need to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jinta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great rifle. Congratulations Onyx and gszeto99.

Many thanks. </div></div>

I started off with CMP 40xHB (the HEAVY barrel version). Added the AICS 2.0, Ken Farrell 10 MOA base, Badger Ordnance STD (308-06?) rings, US Optics ST-10 with ERGO, 1/4MOA EREK, 44mm low profile, MOA type 1 Reticle, #3 1/4MOA with windage stop, Illumination (11 step Red). I also had the barrel cut to 20".
Torqued the action screws to 50in-lb.

What else do you need to know.

</div></div>

gszeto99

Thank you for the detailed reply. The hardest part would be to get the 40X-HB. I'm pretty much have the other (similar) parts on hand.

Again, thank you.

If the CMP still has the barreled actions for the 40XB's, you can get a bolt from PT&G and a trigger off the internet, and then all you need to do is contact remington to get all the bits and pieces that you need to finish it.

When I spoke to a gentleman at Remington he was very helpful, and was able to get me the parts I needed.

Barring the bolt and trigger, this is what I needed to finish the barreled action:

Part: Part#
Sear Pin 22031
Ejector 19785
Ejector Screw 19786
Receiver Filler Piece 16113
Receiver Filler spring 16114
Receiver plug screws (8) 17034
Bolt Stop 19782
Bolt Stop Spring 17014
Bolt Stop Pin 22030

It was pretty easy to put it all together, and once I did, and put it in the stock I took off the first one, I ended up with these:
4670036845_5fd6bf7d11_b.jpg

(larger image if you want to see some detail:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4670036845_8be3ffa117_o.jpg)
Hope this is helpful!

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One quick question reguarding the AICS stocks....

I just got mine and was wondering if any of your is drilled for the rear monopod or did you have to do this yourselves? </div></div>

I got my AICS from Adam at BauerArms(very nice and helpful person!), but it appears that the AICS is setup from the factory to take a monopod there.

Onyx

The Heavy barrel that Don in SC has over on the For Sale would make the excellent start to a 22lr trainer project.
Semper Fi

I agree with 95LTZ. I picked up my 40XHB from Don, and the damn thing is an absolute joy to shoot. Not to mention he is a great guy to deal with and a great source of information on the 40X. Mine still sits in the wood stock because the damn thing shoots so well I am afraid to mess with a good thing by putting it in a McMillan

Mine got stolen, but if I can find another, I'd like to try and build a trainer off of a Winchester 131. 7-shot, bolt action .22 based off the Mauser action. The one I had my dad got me for my 12th birthday, and I there were quite a few less varmits around with that thing. Always had it by the door, for that stray cat or whatever else was trying to get into trash. Always shot true and strait.

Beautiful rifle. And I had a mono pod too. I liked it. Worked just as good as a bag.

For those of us without access to metal working tools, would it be possible to mount just about any rimfire in an Airsoft AICS stock by cutting of the wooden forearm and buttstock from the rimfire and then cutting down to portion around the receiver to match the recess in the AICS stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p620346</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of us without access to metal working tools, would it be possible to mount just about any rimfire in an Airsoft AICS stock by cutting of the wooden forearm and buttstock from the rimfire and then cutting down to portion around the receiver to match the recess in the AICS stock? </div></div>

In theory I guess it would be possible but it would also be hard. It would just be too much work and effort for me. I would concentrate on locating a real aics short action stock for a 40x. If I get enough interest I have another 40x full length barrel with all scope mounts and mounts for front and rear sight as well as the front olympic sight with rear Palma sight that I am thinking of selling only because I just got myself an anschutz. Rifle shoots lights out and I compete with it but if the test target of the anschutz is how it really shoots then I will be moving on to the anschutz because I like the two stage trigger and the available aluminum 2213 stock I can upgrade to.

Let me know if there is any interest for a 40x.

Thank you

Gene

Well the here is an update on my 40xHB

Before:
2wox6o9.jpg

After:
25qqhjp.jpg

I still have the USO scope but now I have another so this one now gets a 37mm one and the 44mm goes on another 40xHB I have.

The AICS 2.0 was not working for me in competition so I now am using a Choate tactical of all things with a Karstens adjustable cheek rest. I got $700 back by "downgrading" but I like the Choate tactical stock because it allows me to use a sling and hand stop when I shoot position with its integrated accessory rail.

What was not working out for you the with AICS?

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onyx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was not working out for you the with AICS?

Onyx </div></div>

I shoot the rifle in competition--modified rimfire silhouette that our club here hosts. We have a couple of different classes (bench rest with scope, position with scope, position with sights, pistol). We shoot 5 different distances with no sighters allowed. The 5 distances are 55y, 75y, 112y, 125y, 161y. For position we shoot standing at 55y, sitting unsupported at 75, sitting supported (bipod or shooting sticks) at 112y, prone with shooting sticks, bipod or sling at 125y, and benchrest 161y. The match director is constantly on a mission to make the targets smaller and smaller to make the match harder and harder. The targets can be just about anything but last time he had biathlon type targets with a 7/8" hole which is not hard at all but you need to make sure your dope is correct for the day (different conditions--temp, humidity). At 125y he has a 3" washer with a 1" rim--so basically a 1" hole in the middle. The idea is to NOT shoot through the hole but to hit the rim--much easier said than done. Remember no sighters allowed. At 161y it is a small lead filled standing prairie dog--any little wind one way or the other will throw you completely off target.

I got 44 points out of 50 to get second place with the M24A3 stock but I only got 41 points out of 50 to get 3rd place with the AICS 2.0 stock. The issue being I was unable to consistantly properly preload the bipod with the AICS off the bench. Also I need to use a handstop when shooting position and the groove on the underside of the AICS is too large for my handstop. Also the cheek rest can not be adjusted forward. So I decided to "downgrade" to the Choate tactical with a Karstens cheek rest. I got first place in position shooting after the "downgrade" and also got $700 back due to the downgrade.

Let me know if you have any questions about the setup or any of the components of my 40X.

Gene

Good info gszeto99, thanks for the input. I can see how the AICS would be tough for some of the hand held, unsupported posistions.

You decide to sell the AICS, or put it on some other prone only type rifle?

Onyx

Onyx, I sold the AICS hence the $700 back after downgrade to the choate tactical with karstens cheek rest.

Gene