• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Completed Cartridge weight

thanks!! what would you work a load up and down by in grains to see the result downrange ?
Here is a graph of the last time I did load development (for 6.CM not .223 but still every cartridge I've ever worked a load up for behaves the same way). "GSSDES.png" shows the correlation between group size, SD & ES for a given powder charge. I mainly use it as backup evidence for "VEL.png" where my best groups fell where there is a velocity flat spot in the powder charge.

I hope this should help you with powder charge and its affects on results downrange. It's a little involved, and doesn't really help you much with factory ammo but I hope it helps!

@100yds, velocity measured with LabRadar, 5 shot groups.

Attachments

• GSSDES 040221.png
    GSSDES 040221.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 40
  • VEL 040221.png
    VEL 040221.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Rocketvapor
Here is a graph of the last time I did load development for my 6.5CM. "GSSDES.png" shows the correlation between group size, SD & ES for a given powder charge. I mainly use it as backup evidence for "VEL.png" where my best groups fell where there is a velocity flat spot in the powder charge.

I hope this should help you with powder charge and its affects on results downrange. It's a little involved, and doesn't really help you much with factory ammo but I hope it helps!
that's super cool. so .3 grains gave you almost 3/4 an inch difference moa if I'm reading that correctly? that's on a 6.5 creedmore with MUCH more charge than a .223.... so if a .223 is plus or minus .3 grains of POWDER (obviously), I could assume it would translate to a much bigger spread

that's super cool. so .3 grains gave you almost 3/4 an inch difference moa if I'm reading that correctly? that's on a 6.5 creedmore with MUCH more charge than a .223.... so if a .223 is plus or minus .3 grains of POWDER (obviously), I could assume it would translate to a much bigger spread
You read that correctly, could have been me, but I doubt it because my extreme spread pretty much agrees with my shooting. Yes the smaller the cartridge, given the same powder variance, you will have much more magnified results down range. i.e. 0.3gr in 50 BMG vs 0.3gr in 9mm obviously it will affect 9mm more. But this "effect" could be anything not necessarily group size (which could in theory stay the same).

i.e. from 41.0 to 41.6 we saw roughly no change in group size. Whereas we saw nearly 1MOA difference when going from 41.0 down to 40.7.

Reactions: takenotes
Ha ha ha.

Opinions vary. Lol

I try to keep my powder to 0.1gr some guys have better equipment.

Ha ha ha.

Opinions vary. Lol

I try to keep my powder to 0.1gr some guys have better equipment.
I've never met a reloader who weighs charges and doesn't keep it the same down to the tenth of a grain (or better). Might as well use a powder thrower if you're not lol. I concur that 0.3gr variance will probably be of concern in precision ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketvapor
I bought a few hundred Nosler 62gr for my 22N, mostly for brass.
It was on clearance at the time and little more than brass.
Here is some of it SORTED :)
Just like you would expect, a distribution of cartridge weight (with a large enough sample).
The high and low culls showed most was due to brass weight.
Got some dummy rounds (3) out of it.
Could have just waited and found the light/heavy brass after firing.

Attachments

• NoslerSorted.jpg
    NoslerSorted.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I've come up with ROUGHLY - .01 GRAMS = 1.5 GRAINS.
This is what you said.

Hey everyone, new here! I'm looking for some of you experienced guy's knowledge.

If I were to weigh factory loaded ammunition, and sort it all out by weight I am assuming that I'd have groups of more consistent groups and eliminate flyers.
This was your question.

looking to see if anyone has experience in how much 1.5 grains has an effect on moa down range on a .223 load. as brass and primers are going to be much closer to a consistent weight than powder. powder is obviously the biggest variable when it comes to the weight of factory loaded ammo, when i say obviously that's all i've ever heard from guys that i've seen shoot incredibly precise.
This is your first mention of powder. Powder is usually the most consistent variable. Brass the least.

You ask a question on factory founds and seeking advice. You got it. Obviously the question you asked was not what you wanted.

As for 223 loads, a node is typically +/-0.1 grains. Normal reloading range for a powder in 223 is ~2 to 2.5 grains but normally loads within 5% of maximum.

looking for the answer to the question of 1.5 grains of ammunition accuracy down range on a .223/5.56 working up and down a load what's noticeable. not black hills this and fundamentals that. thanks though. I'll bring a spotter next time and check my gear combo.

If the 1.5 grains is powder, there is a big difference.
If the 1.5 grains is all brass and primer, less difference.

Since you are weighing complete ammo you don't know how much of each rounds weight difference is projectile, powder, case head or unicorn dust. My guess is they print identically.

Weighing/sorting the completed factory round is not going to provide a meaningful difference in groups.

If the 1.5 grains is powder, there is a big difference.
If the 1.5 grains is all brass and primer, less difference.

Since you are weighing complete ammo you don't know how much of each rounds weight difference is projectile, powder, case head or unicorn dust. My guess is they print identically.

Weighing/sorting the completed factory round is not going to provide a meaningful difference in groups.

You know he's gonna yell at you for not answering his question about the effects of a 1.5gr powder difference...🤣🤣