• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Comprable alternative to 700 AAC-SD?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I really like the remington 700 16" AAC-SD, but I don't like Remington's quality issues. I'd like a savage, but the closest alternative seems to be either: the hog hunter but I dislike the rifle sights (which are hard to remove) OR the savage 10 TR which seems to be discontinued. What are my options for $400-$650 rifle (maybe more depending on stock and mag system).

What I want is a 16"-20" medium to heavy barrel (shorter preferably), detachable mag or the ability to change it, thread barrel, aftermarket stock capability, 308.

Thanks

check out the FN's based on the win 70 action. If you had a little more cash, say $1300- you could grab a Tika t3, far superior to a Remington and very accurate. All this said I have never had an issue with any of the 700s I have had.

what kind of quality issues are you afraid of? all ive been hearing is finish blemishes but $2.95 will fix that in a hardware store...

might be able to pick up an older used savage hunting rifle and rebarrel it yourself.

If the AAC-SD has all the features you want, I would just go with it. I have a 20" AAC-SD, and it's a tack driver.

This caught my eye tonight...

Was thinking T3 Lite SS 7mm-08, trim to 19 in., press fit collar thick enough to thread, then I saw this as new option for 2014, with more features and can-ready and under 8lbs. Sans scope AND in .260!:

Tikka T3 CTR

Call a Cabela's store and ask them to locate a Tikka T3 scout in 308. Some of the stores still had them in October for around $700. You might get lucky.

My AAC-SD shot consistently in the .6" range at 100 yards, in an aluminum bedded B&C stock with hand loads. Also loved Federal Gold Medal 175g.

I like my AAC except for the Remington chamber. 1/8" of free bore is ridiculous in a "precision/tactical" rifle. I get good accuracy seated .020"off the lands but then I have a single shot rifle with the rounds way past mag length. I'm considering having it cut down at the rear of the barrel and re chambered with a match reamer.