• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Concealed Carry Advice

dbransco

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Looking for some experienced advice. I currently have and carry an HK 45 Compact Tactical and I really like it; however, it's a little bulky. I have been contenplating either picking up a S&W M&P 9mm with 4" barrel (which I have fired and enjoy) or a Wilson Combat Professional Lightweight with 4" barrel (I have no experience with 1911 platforms, just find that they fit my hand really well).

I have read through a ton of great posts, but I have not been able to decide what platform type would be more beneficial. I am looking for something that is light/comfortable, easily concealable and something I can shoot a lot. The biggest reason I am contenplating a 1911, having no prior experience is the way they fit my hand and there slinderness.

Any info. or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Concealed Carry Advice

You should be able to carry whatever you want, if you're comfortable with your HK I'd find a way to carry it but if you're set on something new for carry I'd go with the S&W. Where do you usually carry and what do you wear?

a good leather custom carry holster will work for carry with your current gun. If your looking for something smaller and with a nice feel, check out the springfield XDS......super small .45. I love mine.....

Dave

Thanks. I like carrying IWB in back toward my right side. I do carry the HK, I was just looking to reduce my signature. I'm fairly thin and most often don't wear layers (I'm always hot) so I was just thinking of finding something a little less bulky. I guess I'm more interested in pros/cons of a 1911 for concealed carry and all around heavy firing (practice). Within that, would a lightweight 1911 be a bad choice for felt recoil with .45 ACP or 10mm?

It's going to depend on you, 1911's make great ccw's but make sure to find what feels best. If you can find a range or a friend that will let you try some even better. Kimber's are fantastic and I'd recommend them too and as for recoil all you need is practice. There will be more recoil and especially muzzle flip with heavier calibers but not enough to be scared of. I vote 1911!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Within that, would a lightweight 1911 be a bad choice for felt recoil with .45 ACP or 10mm?</div></div>

Felt recoil is subjective so the best way to know is to go shoot one. Any chance you can rent or go shoot a buddies as suggested above?

That said, I've been shooting 1911s for 15 years and I switched from an XD to an alloy 1911 in 08. Most aluminum 4" 1911s are in the 26oz range which should be similar in weight to your M&P and have similar felt recoil. I'm not a fan of the 10mm round so I can't comment on it but there aren't many options in a 10mm alloy 1911 but there are a ton of .45s. You will feel a little more recoil from a 26oz gun than a 38oz steel gun but it's controllable and you get used to it with a little practice. The difference between my steel and alloy guns feels to me like the difference between shooting a target load and a SD load in my other guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just thinking of finding something a little less bulky.</div></div>

Whats interesting about 1911s is that they certainly "feel" much thinner. I've measured mine and compared them to my Glock and XD and while there is a difference it's not quite a dramatic as you would think. At the top of the frame my guns with ambi's are actually wider than my XD. I think it's the rounded slide and corners that make it feel a lot thinner.

If you really want small take a look at the EMP9. My wife carries one and I'm quite impressed. I think she has somewhere between 7-8k rounds through it and I hate to admit that it's been more reliable than my Bear, Dad's Wilson, and most of my other 1911s.

Small dimensional differences in handguns make for large ergonomic differences.

Don't overthink your choice...regardless which way you go, you'll probably change your mind after a few months. It's a process most CCW'ers go through finding the system that works for them.

Just get whichever one you seem to like the idea of more.

Sounds like you want a 1911... In my OPINION, 1911s recoil harder than tupperware 45s. You should try one/some out and see what you think.

In regard to 10mm - awesome cartridge, though [good] ammo is rather expensive. Also, good 10mm ammo does in fact have a lot of recoil. Well-practiced shooters can handle that recoil and lay down fire accurately and quickly, but it's going to take a lot of practice. For MOST people, 10mm is not a practical CCW choice. It has more power than "necessary", and tends to be found in larger-than-necessary (for CCW) pistols. If you download it to reduce recoil, you may as well just go with a 40.

Final thoughts:

To me, package size is critical. I like pocket carry, so my CCW pistol MUST fit comfortably in my pocket. Thus, there is a pistol size limit for me. For any given pistol size, the capacity will be greater for the smaller cartridges. I LOVE 45 and 10mm. I bought a Glock 36 but found it too big for my pocket. I converted it to 10mm but the recoil was over the top. I might be able to fit an XDs in my pocket, but capacity would be 5 rounds. The Kahr PM40 fits 5. My PM9 fits 6. With modern +p 9mm ammo, I'll take the capacity over bore size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any info. or advice would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

Ok, $0.02 or what it's worth. I have some wonderful 1911's, don't carry any of them. They are wonderful to shoot, balanced, accurate, fun. I don't carry them for two reasons:

A well tuned 1911 is easy to shoot, in fact too easy. The triggers are 2.5/3 lbs. and just too easy to pull. During a stressful encounter a "no shoot" solution may become an accidental shooting for that reason. Yes, I know "finger off the trigger" training......yada yada.

Second, when the SHTF and I need the sidearm to fire, the manual safety on the 1911 can become a complexity I don't need. When the stool is running down my leg I want the pistol to go off not just standing there jerking on the trigger. Yep, same deal........I know about training with the manual safety.......

Yes, I am aware both situations are contradictory (and I wish to avoid either/both.)

If I knew I was going to shoot someone, then a 1911 would be a great choice (right after my shotgun or rifle.)

Finally, if you decide to go with a 1911 I think a 4" 1911 is just silly........it's really not easier to carry than a full size, have been inherently less reliable, and ounce for ounce more expensive.

Just one man's opinion, YMMV!

I carry a H&K USP .45 Compact daily. I don't have any problems with carrying it due to the bulk. I'm using a DeSantis Nemises Inside the pants holster. After a few days it form fits around the weapon and its got rubber "dots" on the outside so it never slips. I've worn it on my motorcycle and never even had it budge. They only cost around $25, much cheaper than buying a new pistol. Just my $0.02...

I have Glocks, 1911s and other handguns that I keep in my vehicle but never try to conceal on my body. My go-to concealed carry is a S&W 642 in .38+P for concealability and I know it's gonna go BANG when I pull the trigger. And this weapon is unbelievably accurate for such a short barrel. APEX spring kit and trigger is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. I like carrying IWB in back toward my right side. I do carry the HK, I was just looking to reduce my signature. I'm fairly thin and most often don't wear layers (I'm always hot) so I was just thinking of finding something a little less bulky. I guess I'm more interested in pros/cons of a 1911 for concealed carry and all around heavy firing (practice). Within that, would a lightweight 1911 be a bad choice for felt recoil with .45 ACP or 10mm?

</div></div>

I also have a SA micro .45, 3 inch 1911 and it carrys nicely with a custom holster, 30 degree cant.

I tried my Kimber Pro CDP, then the XD and XDM, and finally settled on Les Baer Comanche. I like the 1911 style but the biggest difference for me was finally going to the Milt Sparks IWB holster. Even with the heavier Baer, it is comfortable all day and with it sitting at ~4 o'clock, it is very concealable. A ggood stiff belt damn sure helps too.

Me .02

Having a bobtail mainspring housing makes a world of difference when carrying a 1911.

I've been carrying a 5" aluminum frame 1911 for years.

Just something else for you to think about.

First things first... if you have the means to pick up a Wilson, what are you waiting for? I would love to have one, but cannot justify it to myself.

I've carried a standard USP comp 45 and didn't think that it was too bad. The right holster for that gun will make all the difference. I used a comp-tac kydex for a little while, and it was fairly comfortable. Believe it or not, a $40 bianchi was also surprisingly comfortable once it was broken in. That led me to leather and TT leather holsters are extremely comfortable.

I carry off my back, behind the hip.

If you can find a pistol that weighs less than 26 oz, and is not much more than 1" thick, it will carry like a dream. My recommendations: glock 19, s&w mp9 (4"), kahrs are amazing as well, or find a 1911 with a commander sized aluminum frame and 3" bbl (I carry a colt new agent) lol. Keep us posted on your decision.