• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Condition of "Demo Units" From Cameraland

dariof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
So NV & So CA
I am looking to purchase a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope AND a Vortex 1000 Rangefinder from Camera Land.

Both units may be "Demo Units," depending on what I hear from you guys.

For those of you you have purchased their "Demo Units" or know someone who has, please chime in.

Thanks.

These guys aren't new to the optics "game". I've purchased a lot of optics from CL, they've always been first class, I wouldn't worry about condition, they'd never send you something that didn't meet/exceed your expectations.

father in law got a vortex hs lr from them last summer as a demo and if any one looked at it and thought it was any thing but brand new they are a fucking liar. Great guys i would buy with out a second thought.

Doug is good to go and the units are flawless. I purchased 2 Zeiss and a Razor last week. Nib is the way to describe them.

Thanks for the quick responses about the Demo's.

I took your advice, and just ordered the demo rangefinder. I will order the demo scope for my Savage .223 soon.

Once I get my custom rifle (after I figure out caliber, components and gunsmith) I'll order either a demo Vortex HD or Nightforce.

Thanks again for the great input! :)

I bought a Razor from them a month ago as a demo. It was brand new. Not even a fingerprint on it.

I bought 2 Zeiss scopes from them several month apart and could not tell that they were used. Cameraland has been in business for quite while for a reason.

No worries with CameraLand. I've purchased four high end demo scopes over the past two years that looked brand new.

Edge

To put it simply, they are a class operation. I was a bit wary ordering a riflescope from a place called "Camera Land" in NY of all places... but getting to know Doug and the crew there, I have every confidence in them. They are truly an exceptional outfit.

They call them demos to get around manufacturing price restrictions. Actually they don't sell any used scopes. Got that from the horses mouth.

I hear they look brand new and usually are.

This is my experience. I couldn't find any indication that what I bought was used and everything was even packed in the boxes in such a way that it didn't look like it had ever been taken out.

I've bought two demo products from them, a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x56 scope and a pair of zen ray binos. Both were brand new for all practical purposes, there was no way you could tell they'd ever been out of the box. I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy a demo product from them. The only exception being a Leica product, if it's labeled a demo then Leica cuts the warranty way down to something like 90 days. That's got nothing to do with Cameraland, that's Leica's BS policy and one of the reasons I shy away from Leica products even though they make good stuff. You don't get treatment like that from Swarovski.

what everyone else said. my "demo" unit still had factory plastic wrap on box unopened.

CameraLand always goes the extra mile to make sure you are happy with your purchase. My demo unit looked and functioned as if it was new. I really could not tell the difference between it and a new one.

I worked a couple blocks away from them, and took a short walk over there to check out the Steiner 5-25 they had. Good people and the demo unit just as good as the new one i recently purchased.

I bought a demo rangefinder from them in the past. Like new condition.

I got a demo razor from them a few weeks ago. The box was a little tattered, but the scope was in new condition with all accessories. I'd buy another for sure. In fact, I'd like to get another with the EBR 2B instead of the EBR 1. The 2B is one beautiful reticle.

I've bought 3 Zeiss Scopes from them, all Demos, all flawless. GTG

The stuff I've received demo wise looked new to me. But my shit looks damaged about the time I mount it.

I've purchased at least 5 scopes all demos & every one was like brand new.Even their return policy is the best in the business.............

I've made around 10 purchases from CLNY in the last year and only one of them was for a "new" product.
All of the discounted optics were indistinguishable from new other than the packaging.

One was a Steiner Military 5-25x56 MSR for $2500.
I swear all they did was cut the seal on the box, and I saved $750.

That said, buying a Vortex PST from anyone used is a non issue with Vortex's incredible warranty.

bought two scopes marked as used from there. I am 90% sure they where both brand new
and I got a free shirt! love that place

It is always our pleasure to work with the members here.
We have been buying mfg demos for years from SHOT Show, SCI, NRA etc.
Most of the scopes are never mounted and occasionally the mfg's will bring extra product to shows that never gets opened, but once the serial #'s are marked off "going to trade show" it is internally classified as a demo. These obviously will be as new when we and you get them but "technically" they are show demos.

Leica reduces their warranty on:
Binoculars, Spotters and Riflescopes from lifetime to 10 years
Geovids from 5 years to 1 year
CRF Rangefinders from 2 years to 3 months
All other mfg's leave the warranty alone

We recently took in a bunch of demos from Vortex that have scopes that were mounted, and binoculars that were handled at more than one show, these are discounted accordingly, Vortex - Camera Land NY

If we can answer anything for you please feel free to call me or Neil @ 212-753-5128 or just send a PM.
Thanks for all the support

I got my viper pst from them. I live on Long Island and decided to drive in and see the place first hand. I cold not believe that a shop in lower manhattan would ever sell high end rifle scopes, and if there was such a shop I expected to be walking down an alley and knocking on a non-descript door. I was shocked when I saw there showroom. It's pretty freakin nice. I also got the scope for a sick deal that I couldn't pass up. They are gtg.

I am looking to purchase a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope AND a Vortex 1000 Rangefinder from Camera Land.

Both units may be "Demo Units," depending on what I hear from you guys.

For those of you you have purchased their "Demo Units" or know someone who has, please chime in.

Thanks.

I have purchased plenty of glass from CL both demo & new, have also referred many friends to them.
I got the vortex ranger 1000 from them, which is the only ranger finder I know of with a lifetime warranty.
Cameraland is definitely GTG in my book.

Bought a Steiner 5-25MSR from them that was a 'demo'.

If it was ever out of the box I would be surprised as everything in the packaging, seal, etc were untouched.