• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Confused with zeroing new S&B scope?

2pirates

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
Indiana
I got a new S&B 5-25x56 PM II MTC LT a while ago. It's mounted in a 25MOA GDI p-rom qd mount on my .308 bolt gun. I took it out for the first time today to try and sight it in. I was shooting at 100 yards and with the elevation turret bottomed all the way to 0 I was hitting about 10" high. Anybody have a link or can tell me what to do to fix it? I did a couple searches and didn't come up with anything. I plan on taking it to a proper range next weekend and trying again for where I really want to zero it at 200yds. I just find it hard to believe it's not going to still be high then.

Thanks

Re: Confused with zeroing new S&B scope?

Slip the scale, there is a zero stop so you have to get past it.

Loosen the turret, spin it to 3 mils or so drop and tighten, rezero it, then slip it back to zero when you are done. If you are on the second turn you can loosen it again, spin it counter clockwise twice and then tighten it at zero.

I would recommend at 100 yard zero with that scope, it's much smarter to zero at 100 where these scopes are designed to work, then to have to a 200 yard zero. There is no need for that, just dial it up to your dope if you want it some place other than 100.

Thats wierd I have a NF 5.5-22x56 on a 30 moa rail on a savage 110ba .338 and still have more negative elevation travel. One thing I should mention is check the ring to base connections very well, I recently had a Nightvision scope off because the rail adapter was barely touching a piece of the reciever, not fully seated on the rail correctly. Once I mounted correctly it came right in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would recommend at 100 yard zero with that scope, it's much smarter to zero at 100 where these scopes are designed to work, then to have to a 200 yard zero. There is no need for that, just dial it up to your dope if you want it some place other than 100. </div></div>

That's what I've been thinking about, I was going to zero at 200 and just hold a little low at 100, but why? I keep thinking just set it at 100 and dial up.

Thanks guys, It's the first time I've mounted a scope that shot high like this all of my NF's have been opposite. I'll do what Lowlight says and see if that fixes my problem. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. What you both are saying about the 100 yard zero makes sense too. 99% of the time I shoot at a buddies farm and the first target board and plates are at 200 yards then other targets set out to 1200. So that is why I was going to zero for 200. I rarely shoot anywhere else, but what you're saying makes sense. Now I just have to figure out how to unscrew and change the S&B turrets. It's my first S&B I think im a chicken for some reason I'm afraid of hurting it.

Thanks Again

Did you follow the directions in the manual EXACTLY when you zeroed the scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you follow the directions in the manual EXACTLY when you zeroed the scope?</div></div>

I suppose not...All I've done so far is mount it and shoot 8 shots. It was shooting high and about 2 inches left. I corrected the windage but the elevation was as low as it could go so I just needed to know what to do when I got a chance to fix the problem. It was kind of a spur of the moment trip. I didn't have the allen wrenches with me to work on the turrets just thetorque wrench to adjust the rings for eye relief if I had to.

You'll be fine then.
Just set everything back to zero and take the allen wrench and manual to the range with you next time.