• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Conover NC .22 TSC - Dec 11th Match Results

apache308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
NC
CVRPC .22 RIMFIRE TACTICAL STEEL CHALLENGE
FALL EVENTS

The Catawba Valley Rifle & Pistol Club has three .22 Rimfire Tactical Steel matches scheduled for Fall 2010. The dates are: Saturday, October 9th, Saturday November 13th, and Saturday December 11th, 2010. Sign up begins at 9:30am, Match review at 9:45, and shooting starts at 10:00 am

Conover, NC. Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol Club. Directions to the range can be found at www.cvrp.org/dir.htm. The range is conveniently located a short distance off I-40 in Conover, NC (near Hickory, NC). Plenty of graveled parking is available as are indoor restrooms.

ENTRY FEE AND PAYOUT:
• Entry fee of $10.
• Re-entries are permitted if position available.
• Payout will be as follows:
o 1st Place 40% of entry fees
o 2nd Place 20% of entry fees
o 3rd Place 10% of entry fees

COURSE:
All shooting will be from a paved, covered firing line with multiple positions available. Course will consist of 4 stages at distances as follows:

• Stage 1: 57 yards 5 shots Standing, 5 precision shots prone with bipod or non mechanical front rest
• Stage 2: 112 yards 10 shots barricade/cover position
• Stage 3: 163 yards 10 shots prone with bipod or non mechanical front rest
• Stage 4: 210 yards 10 shots prone with bipod or non mechanical front rest

• Targets are IPSC “style” AR235 steel in sizes ranging from 3.5” to 8.5” in height.
• All targets (including sighter targets) are reactive steel with no paper targets being offered.
• A sighter target will be available at each Stage.
• The course of fire will consist of various size IPSC style targets and will also include “hostage” style scenarios, partially blocked or hidden targets, ocular cavity and heart shot precision targets, diminishing size precision reactive targets, and other possible scenarios at the Match Directors discretion.
• Targets will be engaged from the Standing, Barricade/cover, and Prone positions.
• Course of fire will consist of 48 rounds.

EQUIPMENT:
• Match is open to all .22 rimfire rifles including bolt action, semi auto, single shot, lever, and pump actions.
• .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle only. No 17M2 or 17HMR rifles allowed.
• The same gun MUST be fired throughout the course unless verified mechanical or optical failure.
• As targets will be challenging in size and placed at distances exceeding 200 yards, quality optics are recommended.
• Bipods are allowed.
• No mechanical front rests – bipod or pack only.
• No rear bag, monopod, or rear rest of any kind.
• Shooting mats, elbow pads, etc are allowed.

MATCH COMMANDS:

• At the command. “Shooters to the Line” competitors will have a 1 minute prep period.
• At the end of the prep period the competitor with received a “Load” command at which time he/she will have 30 seconds to load his weapon.
• At the end of the 30 second Load period, the shooter will receive the “Fire” command and have 5 minutes to engage 2 sighter targets, then 10 targets for score.
• The sighter targets must be fired before engaging targets for score.
• The competitor may choose to engage any target on the stage in any order. Competitor review of the scoring below and various strategies dependant on the presented targets at each stage are advised.
• At the end of the relay competitors may move to their next position.

SCORING:

• Targets MUST fall to be scored as a HIT.
• Turned targets still standing will be counted as a miss or “0”.
• Each missed target will be scored as “0” point.
• Each “single man” hit will be scored as 1 point.
• Hostage target hit will be scored as minus 1 (-1) point.
• Hostage target aggressor “kills” will be scored as 2 points.
• In the event of a “tie” for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place, a “Tiebreaker Stage” will be added with various targets from 57 to 240 yards.

SAFETY:
• CVRPC requires the use of open chamber indicators/flags at all times except after the load command has been given.
• ALL bolts and actions must remain open at all times except when “on stage”.
• Failure to display open actions and Open Chamber Indicator will result in 1 warning, followed by disqualification.
• Eye and hearing protection must be worn by competitors, spotters, and bystanders.
• No horseplay or unsafe gun handling will be tolerated.

CONTACT: Please contact apache308 or armorpl8chikn on this site or [email protected] for further information or preregistration. NOTE: We will be initially be limited to 25-30 slots. Pre registration is recommended but not required.

Thanks and come on out and shoot this extreme 22 event!

Re: Conover NC 22 Rimfire Tactical Steel Challenge

Date corrected. Thanks Joe!

We now have 15 shooters pencil'd in. If you're in the NC area and want to shoot a truly challenging 22RF match, come on out on the 9th. SR

We have added some bonus targets to all stages and made the standing portion a bit more palatable. I will let Steve explain it in more detail. We want to host a match that folks will enjoy and be challenged so be patient with us. If you want to shoot and aren't on the list please contact myself or Steve as soon as possible. See you Saturday morning.

Thanks to armorpl8chicken and a few others and a full days work, the range is groomed and targets set up and we're ready to rock! Yes we have added a couple of bonus targets worth extra points and the end of each 10 shot stage. You will have 12 targets total; 6 free standing worth 1 pt each, 4 aggressor/hostage style worth 2 pts each - but with a -1 pt hostage kill penalty, and 2 veeeery challenging "bonus" or "option" targets worth 3 pts each - but with a -2pt hostage kill penalty. SO thats 12 available targets with varying difficulty, and with varying risk vs reward. 10 shots, 12 targets, you decide. I know that some will find the course intimidating (not to steal anything from the TVP match - its just the correct word)at first, but those seeking a challenge with .22's will love it. Be there at 9:30 AM tomorrow morning for sign in and walk through. Thanks. SR

Saturday was a big success! You will want to make plans to attend on November 13th. Mark it on your calendar now! The match ran very smooth and we gained some insight into how many competitors we can move through the line in a day. If you were there chime in and tell us how we can improve. If you have pics from the day please post them here. I met a lot of good shooters and nice folks. I'm looking forward to next month already!

The first Catawba Valley Rifle & Pistol Club .22 Tactical Steel Challenge is in the books and was a great success. We had absolutely beautiful weather with sunny skies, temps in the 70’s and low 80’s with light winds. A total of 14 shooters, including two juniors and one lady, met the challenge and all agreed it was a tough but exciting course of fire. The turnout was a little less than hoped for but we had 9-10 shooters no show for various reasons from work to deer hunting. We hope to have around 20+ shooters next month if all goes as planned. We started with a walk-through at 9:45 AM and began shooting shortly after 10:00am. We finished up around 2:00PM.

Scores were as follows:
1st S. Roe 56 Anschutz
2nd R. Brown 40 Anschutz
3rd R. Holland 36 Ruger 10-22
B. Johnson 34 Savage MKII TR
JE Roe 32 Anschutz
A. Pyne 29 Sako
J. Lassiter 28 Savage-Anschutz M10
N. Sipe 26 Rem 540 X
G. Northam 23 Anschutz
G. Johnson 21 Savage MKII
J. Sigmon 20 NA
P. Johnson 14 Ruger 10-22
J. Roe 6 CZ452 Scout
J. Sigmon 5 NA
Team Event: B. Johnson & J.E. Roe: 66

We fully expect the scores next month to climb as shooters familiarize themselves and tune their equipment to the course. In fact, after the match for score, we opened the range for re-entries. We had five shooters shoot a re-entry and their scores improved drastically. JE Roe’s score went from 32 to 48, G Johnson’s from a 21 to a 42 (double) and 10 yr old J. Roe’s score went from a 6 to a 20! That’s 10 yrs old folks and he was mowing down the 210 yarders with his CZ 452 Scout!

The Team Event was simply drawing names from a hat for your partner for score. An additional $5 was charged for the Team event and it was good to see shooters that had never met cheering on their teammate.

There was a variety of “trainers” on the line; everything from Anschutz MPR’s to Remington 541’s, to 10-22’s, Savage MKII’s, and CZ's. Optics ranged from economically priced scopes up to a good selection of Long Range and EFR Leupolds. I hear there is a Nightforce equipped Sako expected next month.
Thanks again to all that came to compete and thanks to those who helped set targets and keep the match running smoothly. If you are in the NC-SC-VA area and want a challenge with your trainer, give us a shout. Remember we pay out 1st, 2nd and 3rd places with 40%-20%-10% of the entry fees and 100% of the Team Event fee is payout to the Team winners. There is also a “bounty” (now at $110) starting on the first perfect score of 68. Hope to see you next month.

A few pics.

Here is the 200 Meter range at CVRPC. The 22 Steel is in place. Tiny aren't they??!!

CVRPC22TSC100910003.jpg

B. Johnson at work:

CVRPC22TSC100910015.jpg

CVRPC22TSC100910021.jpg

G. Johnson at work:

CVRPC22TSC100910022.jpg

CVRPC22TSC100910020.jpg

J. Roe in action. No BS, this kid can shoot.
CVRPC22TSC100910023.jpg

Less than 3 weeks till the next match. The range is centrally located in NC making this match a worthwhile drive from many locations in VA,SC,GA and of course our home state.We hope to have some shooters up from Georgia at least by the December match. If you are able to make the trip on the 13th of November give us a holler we still have room. You will not be disapointed in the challenge. There are plenty of motels in the Hickory area within 15-20 minutes of the range.

Had to swap out scopes on the rifle but looks like I can get some dope for those "oddball" ranges and be ready for this Saturday if the weather cooperates.

If you thought the NightForce was overkill, how about the USO 5-25x56 35mm TPal sitting on top of it now. :) THough, its in mils and I have no frickin clue on those yet being a MOA sling shooter type. But, me and the 9 yr old had fun smacking steel at 320 yards here at the house on Friday when we got it dialed in.

Looking forward to it.

John

'Glad you and you're son are getting to come out and shoot with us John. So far we have 22 shooters signed up. It always varies a little - lose a couple shooters for whatever reason and add a couple walk ons. It should be a good match. 'Lookin' forward to seeing the USO on the 22!! Thanks, SR

Great news John! Looking forward to shooting with you again.
As to the oddball ranges they just are what they are. We are using the meter berms that are set up for our IHMSA shoots and took very accurate readings of actual range. We did this so there would be no mystery and everyone would be on equal footing. We thought it best to give accurate yardages instead of saying 50M,100M,150M,200M. Perfectly within guidlines of mettalic silhouette but technically not true
smile.gif

Didnt mean "oddball" in a bad way, just that I need to get some zeroes and with a 22, its pretty important to get exact, especially at 200 plus yards where the rainbow effect is really prominent! :) Hopefully the weather cooperates and we can shoot.

John

We took no offence
smile.gif
Weather is supposed to be B.E.Autiful! 68deg clear with 4mph south wind what the weatehr channel predicts.

The November .22 TSC match is complete and was a great success. Once again, somehow, we had good conditions with morning temps in the 40’s and afternoon temps in the mid 60’s, sunny skies and little to no wind. Even though we had several "no shows" we still had a total of 23 shooters – a significant increase from last month with competitors from NC, SC and VA taking on the challenge. This included three lady shooters and five juniors! It was great to see the youngsters having a great time while getting serious about their shooting. One thing about these junior shooters I would like to add, - these kids are competitive! Their scores were higher than many of the adults! As expected the scores continue to rise as the competitors acquaint themselves with the match format, plan their strategy, and continue to improve and utilize their equipment.

The equipment list continues to broaden. This month’s winner Rob Holland, was shooting a well used but fantastic shooting Russian made Vostok CM-2 target rifle he ordered from CDNN. The trigger on this thing was incredible and broke around 8 oz. He modified a CZ452 20 MOA base and drilled and tapped the front action ring to accommodate the base then mounted a Mueller scope. The combination worked well. The usual array of Anschutz’s, CZ’s, MKII’s, Sakos’, Remington’s and 10-22’s were on the line again this month.

The match ran smoothly and on time thanks to attentive and consciencous competitors and their willingness to assist in target setting throughout the day. Again, If you are in the NC-SC-VA area and want a challenge with your trainer, give us a try. Remember we pay out 1st, 2nd and 3rd places with 40%-20%-10% of the entry fees and 100% of the Team Event fee is paid to the Team winners. There is also a “bounty” of $110 for the first perfect score of 68.

One additional note, in a continuing effort to encourage our younger shooters, next month we will award trophies to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place junior shooters. Hope to see you next month.

Novenber 13th Match Results:

1. R. Holland Vostok 53
2. S. Roe Anschutz 52
3. J. Roe Anschutz 47
4. J. Lassiter CZ452V 43
5. A. Pyne Sako 42
6. C. England Savage 40
7. B. Johnson Savage 37
8. N. Sipe Rem 35
9. B. Johnson Savage 33 High Lady
10. J. Hutchins Savage 32 High Junior
11. C. McDaniel Ruger 30
12. D. Roe CZ 29*
13. A. Lassiter CZ 29
14. G. Johnson Savage 29
15. J. Roe CZ 26
16. D. Moneyham CZ 25
17. T. Holt Ruger 24
18. J. Sigmon Ruger 23
19. A. Hutchins NA 17
20. P. Johnson Ruger 16
21. J. Sigmon Ruger 15*
22. C. Vuxton Rem 15
23. B. Rogers Savage 13

Team Event: S. Roe & B. Johnson 85

*Ties broken by Stage 4 200M score

APACHE308...
THIS IS A GREAT MATCH. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND ALL THE OTHERS ALSO. IT SEEMS THAT EVERYONE IS HAVING A REALLY FUN TIME AT THIS SHOOT. IF ANYONE IS IN THE AREA ON DEC 11TH DROP BY AND I PROMISE YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME.

Thanks HNE308, you are very welcome and thanks for coming to shoot. We will finish out 2010 with the same format and maybe plan another stage for 2011. We'll see. Right now the course has about the ideal level of difficulty and can accomodate a wide variety of .22 trainers. We anticipate approx 25-30 shooters in December. See you there! SR

Little over 2 weeks till the December match. Get em tuned up and ready. I hear there will be a new Anschutz on the line wearing a Mark IV 16X. Gonna be some pretty sporty competition for the final match of 2010. Can't wait!! Be sure and get on the list by contacting Steve or myself early as possible. 30 is max so sign up now so you don't get left out.

Punisher: Anyone can shoot. The match is open to the public but if you intend to shoot I will need to know as we have reached the max number of shooters we can accomodate this month. Thanks, SR

I wanted to post a couple of updates on the upcoming Dec 11th match.

1) For daylight hours, December has the shortest days of the year. Darkness will start creeping in around 4:30 PM or so. We currently have reached our current max of 30 shooters. There are always a few no shows - and a few walk ons so it normally works out. In the spring we will not have this issue to worry about - and we are considering adding a second bank of targets if the match continues to grow.

2) Due to the short day and max number of shooters we will need to <span style="font-weight: bold">start at 9:30AM </span>instead of 10:00 AM. <span style="font-weight: bold">Be prepared for sign-up and relay assignment at 9:00 AM, match briefing at 9:15; and the 1st relay to the line at 9:30 AM</span>.

3) Due to the increasing number of junior (15 yr old and under) shooters at the match, we will now offer a <span style="font-weight: bold">1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophy for the Jr's.</span> We want to do all we can to encourage the Jr's to shoot this competitive match. There is nothing like watching a 10yr old dial in dope and call his shot!

See you there.

SR

I can still wacth if I cant shoot right? never been to one and just wanted to see what its about.

Punisher: Yes - absolutely. You are welcome to come watch, see how the match is set up, observe different strategies, equipment, etc. Bring your trainer and a box of ammo as well - there may be a cancellation or no show and enable you to shoot. SR

Thanks for the info....Just looked at my dates and I`ll be PA deer hunting. When is the next shoot? Maybe I`ll get a 22 and shoot it till the next time.
I`ve been talking to G. Johnson about it and I`ll see what I can do for the next time.

Looking forward to meeting you Taylor.
I may be preempting my compadre Steve on this but I am really excited. Our monthly club meeting was held tonight and we have been given the go ahead to run this match on the second Saturday of each month for 2011. I don't know which month we will start yet but it will be either March or April and run through December. I am psyched!

The match is only a day away and we should be ready for a pretty big crowd. We will be selling hot dogs and drinks around lunch time so there will be food available. Hot dogs will be $1 each and and drinks 50 cent. We wanted to offer the ability for everyone to hang around and enjoy the fun without leaving to get lunch. Looking forward to the match.

One of these days I will get up there and break this bad boy out for some fun.
wink.gif

2059n4o.jpg

That is a nice rig John! Maybe this spring you can get over here and shoot with us. We are full up for this weekend but you are welcome to show up and watch the match, there is always the chance that a spot will open up because of a no show. A couple people have been running recon on the match before they actually show up to shoot. We are looking forward to shooting with you soon.
JL

Yes, I do hope to get out and shoot the match eventually but my shooting weekends have been limited lately due to my high power schedule, work and now, starting my garage building. But, there will be a weekend that works out, especially now with yall running every month. Just keep having fun and keep ppl out on the range shooting rather than sitting at home. Thats what counts!

Oh, and the Quad/USO....yeah, its accurate...scary accurate. You dont want to be a mailbox at 325yards! (I replaced my mailbox recently with a locking model and the old white one got swiss cheesed by me and my 9 yr old son. set it out at 325yards on our berm and had some fun. Cool watching the bullet arch down range and then "peel" the white paint off the side. Bullets do penetrate one side but wont go thru the other so its full of lead. :)

John

Looks like a helluva rig John....but it's not doing you any good there in the gunsafe! Go ahead and mark your calendar for March 12th, 2011. Hope to see you and that mailbox masher then. SR

The December .22 TSC match is complete and 2010 is a wrap. We had partly cloudy skies with morning temps in the high 20’s and afternoon temps in the upper 40’s. We had a total of 31 shooters signed up but 9 no-shows for whatever reason; perhaps it was too cold. Still, considering the middle of deer season and two weeks before Christmas, we had a decent turnout. Once again we had 5 junior shooters and hope to have several more when we start back up in March 2011. Several “watchers” were present doing recon in anticipation of the March 2011 match.

This month the scores were considerably lower than past months; most likely due to the colder conditions. We are seeing a shift in equipment as well. We are starting to see a few more Anschutz rifles as well as 40X’s, Kimbers, and customs. This month’s winner Neill Sipe, was shooting a pristine vintage example of a Remington 40X that was quite a shooter. The usual array of Anschutz’s, CZ’s, Savages, Remington’s, and 10-22’s were on the line again this month.

Even though a bit chilly, the match ran smoothly and on time thanks to the competitors displaying a continued effort in helping with setting targets. If you are considering shooting this match please get in contact with myself or Joe - or one of the “seasoned” competitors below. As a reminder, we pay out 1st, 2nd and 3rd places with 40%-20%-10% of the entry fees and 100% of the Team Event fee is payout to the Team winners. We now have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies for junior (15 YO and under) shooters as well to help encourage younger shooters to participate.

We also held a sideline “Target” match open to all competitors. This consisted of firing 10 shots (no sighters) on a reduced scale “F-Class” style target at the Stage 4 (212 yard) line. The highest score – not group size – takes home the cash. All competitors were very pleased to see young Austin Hutchins beat all of the adults shooting his Anschutz MPR. Austin had quite a day as he won the 1st place Junior trophy for the TSC and also took home $100 as first prize in the “paper’ event.

Congratulations to all the winners and we hope to see you in March!

December 11th Match Results:

1.N. Sipe Rem 40X 47 1st
2.T. Pack Sr. NA 44 2nd
3.J. Roe Anschutz 41* 3rd
4.J. Lassiter CZ452V 41
5.S. Roe Anschutz 40
6.B. Johnson Savage 39
7.R. Brown Anschutz 38
8.T. Holt Ruger 37
9.Brd. Johnson Savage 35
10.A. Hutchins Anschutz 33* 1st Junior
11.G. Johnson Anschutz 33
12.T. Pack II CZ 31*
13.A. Lassiter CZ 31 High Lady
14.D. Roe Anschutz 23 2nd Junior
15.H. Pack NA 21*
16.J. Sigmon Ruger 21
17.B. Rogers Savage 20
18.Jb Roe CZ 19 3rd Junior
19.G. Northam Kimber 16
20.J. Hutchins NA 14
21.D. Lail CZ 13*
22.J. Sigmon Ruger 13

Team Event: T. Pack Sr. & B. Johnson 83

*Ties broken by Stage 4 score

If my wife and I could hit the targets, as good as we can hit 4th and 13th place perfect 2 months running, we would be in the money
wink.gif

Note to self: Buy a pair of gloves before the March match. Never get caught on camera wearing "Cat In The Hat" gloves. On second thought....maybe they will be the newest must have Tackycool accessory
laugh.gif

We all had a lot of fun with these 3 matches and I really look forward to March. It was great to see so many juniors show up to each match and hope they all come back next year. With some of the smiles I saw I don't think you could keep them away with a stick!
I would like to personally thank all the competitors who showed up this year and all the great help we had setting targets it is appreciated more than you know. Thanks to my co conspirator, Steve who devised this fantastic Steel Challenge! Make plans to come shoot with us in 2011!

WOOHOO SR!!!!!!!!!

I am in for March, Brother. Poke me in the ribs 30 days out.....remember, I'm an OG, i can claim senility.....i tend to forget.......

Just stumbled across this thread. Haven't shot at Conover in over 30 years. Used to shoot the smallbore prone matches there with my Dad. Great range. Stayed at Mackie motel?????
Sure glad to know the range is still up and going.
Any highpower matches there now?
Hummer

send me a PM

Hummer - Yes the Catawba Valley Rifle & Pistol Club is stronger than ever. We hold several monthly matches including High Power, IHMSA Big Bore, NRA Bullseye 22 Indoor, and ocasionally a 300 yd reduced F Class, and now monthly .22 Tactical Steel Challenge matches (2011 March- Dec). I don't recall the Mackie but there are members that may. There are lots of new hotels in the area 10 minutes from the range. Come on up and shoot sometime. SR

And not only is the High Power gig going well at Cat Valley but you can find the NC 300 yard state XTC championship there every year! Bad ass range, would be an understatement. Love shooting there.

John

Re: Conover NC .22 TSC - Dec 11th Match Results

Efforts in preparation for March 12 have been doubled and the equipment list continues to boggle the mind. I hope to be ready as all I have left to do is stock paint and I should be ready. I can't wait!
[img:center]
DSCN0101.jpg
[/img]