• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Conover NC .22 TSC - OCTOBER 8, 2011 Results Up

Re: Conover NC .22 TSC - JUNE Results & Pics Up

skep- If you can get a 50yd zero, we'll get you on from there. It will be reeeal close to :

Stage 1: 1.5 MOA
Stage 2: 8.5 MOA
Stage 3: 17.5 MOA
Stage 4: 26.0 MOA

These settings will be close enough to get you on the sighter plate at each stage. One or two shots and you'll be smokin' steel.

Hope to see you there.

SR

Just a heads up....

Expect a couple slight changes at the match on the 10th. We will be making modifications to the Stage 3 tables to better suit most shooters.

Also, expect a change of course on stage 1. No prone position. No plate machine. Something new.

SR

AWWW HELL... ya been up to Sarver's place and ya get home and gotta go change things around.

See ya Saturday.

Skep-tic.... bring yourself on over... maybe you can hook up with Bunsen and carpool. He's from the Raleigh area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AWWW HELL... ya been up to Sarver's place and ya get home and gotta go change things around.

See ya Saturday.

Skep-tic.... bring yourself on over... maybe you can hook up with Bunsen and carpool. He's from the Raleigh area. </div></div>

Unfortunately, I will be missing the September match because I'm home in Pa visiting the parents. I will be at the October match though. I've had a great time at these matches and I highly recommend that you make the trip Skep-tic! It's a very easy drive from Raleigh. Joe, Steve, and Dennis will take care of you, and you will learn a lot! I'm interested to see that changes to Stage 1 as the plate rack ate me for lunch in the Aug match.
blush.gif

This change doesn't have anything to do with TVP and was planned months ago. We just did not want to change anything until after the Championship match. Right now we have prone on two of the four stages. We want each stage to be fired from a different position/disipline. There will be a couple of equipment rules (our first) starting in 2012 that will be discussed as well.

Bunsen: Understood. Hope to see you in October. Travel safe.

SR

hate we missed the shoot, any pics of the new stage 1, what is the shooting position now? , any changes to the other stations? Hope to make it next month.

Hi Tray. Missed you guys and a few others....although we did have a solid roster of 28 shooters. Beautiful weather and a great match as always.

This month Stage 1 was shot from the Standing Position. The targets were 4" discs. A Bonus scenario was also given. Although we did have a few shooters who seemed a bit intimidated by having to stand up and shoot a rifle, most competitors embraced the new challenge and performed well. This was done as a "trial" and we welcome feedback from those who shot yesterday. We wanted to acheive a couple criteria: 1) To keep the match in the hands of the competitor and not the equipment, 2) to keep things fresh and challenging, and 3) make better marksmen through a challenging course of fire.

For next month, we will keep Stages 2, 3, and 4 the same as always. We will make an announcment on what Stage 1 will consist of dependant on competitor feedback and what the "executive committee" decides. We will let everyone know with plenty of prep time.

Thanks,

SR

CVRPC .22 TSC Match Recap, September 10, 2011

Match Results:

1. R. Brown Martini 51 1st
2. J. Grady Rem 40x 50 2nd
3. J. Abbott Sav-Anz 10 49 3rd
4. B. Johnson Anschutz 48
5. N. Goelzer Anschutz 46*
6. D. Adams Sako 46
7. Bt. Johnson Anschutz 45* High Lady
8. G. Johnson Martini 45
9. T. McRary Anschutz 44
10. J. Roe Anschutz 43
11. P. Johnson Anschutz 42*
12. T. Butcher Anschutz 42
13. I. Grady CZ 40 1st Jr.
14. Jy. Roe Anschutz 39*
15. K. Church Rem 40x 39
16. T. Fell Ruger 37
17. B. Rogers Anschutz 36*
18. J. Murgo Anschutz 36
19. J. Parnell Savage 35
20. J. Lassiter CZ 31
21. D. Leonard Savage 30*
22. J. Yale CZ 30
23. C. England CZ 29
24. S. Caudill Anschutz 26*
25. J. Sigmon Ruger 26
26. Js. Sigmon Ruger 23
27. D. Abbott Ruger 12
28. D. Bailey CZ 11

(*Ties broken by Stage 4 score)

Team Event: R Brown & Bt. Johnson 96

“Gauntlet” Side Match winner: G. Johnson 9x10

Hate I missed it Joe, I was all tied up with Ministry events. Looks like a good bunch of scores for there to have been changes made. Keeps it interesting! Maybe next month!
Good shooting
Barry

In a way, I'm glad you switched things up Steve. It made things interesting. Like going into a situation.... you never now EXACTLY what to expect.

I had a REALLY off day Saturday. I guess it was because I wiped the "MOJO" off the bloop tube.

Anyway, if it makes everybody feel better, I will shoot w/o the "Add ons" in the future (not like I really need them).

I hope everybody can make it to the end of the season match next month.

Re: Conover NC .22 TSC - SEPTEMBER Results Up

Thanks guys for another GREAT match. Here's a few pics including 2 of the new bank of targets we shot at on Stage 1.
58772303.jpg
58772320.jpg
58772405.jpg
58772392.jpg
58772369.jpg
58772348.jpg
58772284.jpg
58772369.jpg

Re: Conover NC .22 TSC - SEPTEMBER Results Up

Congratulations to the winners, I hope to see y'all next month. What was the equipment rules? I haven't heard yet. Thanks Chad

The upcoming match on October 8th will be our last match of 2011. We will have a few door prizes to give away that were left over from our Championship match in August.

Please note that all Stages will be the original format with the return of the "plate machine" on Stage 1.

Stage 1 will consist of 10 shots on 12 available targets which will be five opportunities (prone) on the plate machine, five available (standing) discs and two bonus targets. One bonus target will be available from the prone position, and one bonus target available from the standing position. As always, you choose where to expend your 10 shots.

See you there.

SR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The upcoming match on October 8th will be our last match of 2011. We will have a few door prizes to give away that were left over from our Championship match in August.

Please note that all Stages will be the original format with the return of the "plate machine" on Stage 1.

Stage 1 will consist of 10 shots on 12 available targets which will be five opportunities (prone) on the plate machine, five available (standing) discs and two bonus targets. One bonus target will be available from the prone position, and one bonus target available from the standing position. As always, you choose where to expend your 10 shots.

See you there.

SR </div></div>

I was looking forward to trying out the new stage.
frown.gif
Hope it makes a return for the 2012 season.

well be seeing you guys on the 8th, any word on the equipment changes for next year yet?

and the use of a rear bag would be super nice

Next year:
Any body can shoot off a 'pod and rear bag. All that does is show the capability of the rifle's bore, trigger and ammo, And I love it.

BUT, <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> need to be able to shoot too. I have been doing the bipod thing so long I know my offhand scores would be embarrassing.

I vote we have some positional stages AND 'pod stages.

"As you train you live."

I know that in the field, -real world- many shots will not be able to benefit from' a pod; When you go prone you can't see the TRGT due to grasses etc. Please encourage me to stretch my sitting & "awful"hand positions in your match as well.....

And when it comes to the term "tactical match" that term is synonymous with "real world" style match.... no?

Just my 986 cents. (.02 cents plus the rate the Dollar has been devalued.)

The only equipment changes that I know of will be no tuners rule. We want to keep the spirit of the tactical and practical approach. I do not think we will ever shoot rear bags, that would essentially be benchrest on the ground or F-Class. We can't make everyone happy and aren't even going to try. We are going to do something much different on Stage 1 for next year and are working on the details. I can tell you that it will not involve standing unsupported that is all I will say right now.
Guys thanks for the feedback and again I am sorry we cannot fit everything in that everyone would like. We do not make money on these matches, we are not paid by the club nor anyone else. We do this because we love it and we eat, shit and breathe this match every month the year long. Thanks for your support.
Joe

Thanks Tres and Joe for chiming in - you are both spot on. The match is ultimately to make better riflemen. As long as I have anything to do with it it will never become a "standardized-same-thing-every-time-and-never-change-with a rule for everything" type match. We did run several matches the same format this year as time and $$ constraints dictated our possibilities and perhaps this got folks a little too accustomed to the same thing. We experimented last month with the Stage 1 Standing event and several guys embraced it while others did not. I could expound on this a bit but will not.

There will be no rear bags. I do not see the need for rear bags at this type match.

For clarification, we have not yet had any equipment rules other that it has to be a safe, single shot, bolt action, or semi auto, .22 LR rifle. Due to the natural progression in equipment, we are seeing some top flight rimfire equipment - and that is expected, and cool. I have however received comments regarding an "equipment race" and do not want to see things get out of hand. Here is the visual: The shooter with the $300 out of the box gun walks by the $5000 custom with all the bells and whistles and latest benchrest tricks and tuners, etc. and thinks to himself, why am I here?.....screw this. I do not want to see this happen. Now me personally - I do not care as I shoot a 100% bone stock out of the box rifle with a scope made in 1995. BUT - to keep things between the lines, and within reason, starting in 2012 we will not allow "tuners" or the $300-$400 F-class style ultra wide bipods. "Tactical" style bipods only.

For some insight into the Stages for next year, downrange, Stages 2, 3 and 4 will remain as is. Stage 1 will see the same type scenario as 2,3, and 4. All 4 stages will score equally - a max of 18 points each. The shooting position of Stage 1 will be a "tactical" type position and may be from prone, or possibly other "cover" or barracade type structure. It will be challenging, fun, and as always, up to the shooter.

We will occasionally mix up the shooting positions but it will always be either prone, defilade (table), cover/barricade, or maybe a prone with cover/or similar type situation. We reserve the right to occasionally change the shooting position a bit to keep things interesting.

We have discussed many, many possibilities including standing, sitting, kneeling, etc but we do not want to cause a difficulty for shooters with physical limits. We have shooters from 11 yr old to 80+ yr old and do not ever want to pose a situation that limits a persons ability to participate. If we made a sitting position, our senior shooters, or maybe those with bad knees would be at a huge disadvantage. This is what we want to avoid. We want it to be about the SHOOTER and want every stage to be compatable with as many shooters as possible. It is not an easy thing to do but we will continue to strive to make the match challenging and fun for all shooters regardless of equipment or ability.

See ya on the 8th.

SR

this is an excellent club, and I would recommend to anyone who loves to shoot and compete to give it a try. these guys go out of their way to make it fair and fun for every one.

Steve - you guys do an outstanding job with this match. It is clear you guys spend alot of time and mental capital making it fun, competitive, and accessible to a wide range of folks. I am looking forward to joining this Sat.

Todd

Unfortunately I'm going to have to miss this last match as well. I wish you guys the best!
Per upcoming match layout & designs: Steve & Joe I'm with you till the end!

I hate that I missed the match today, but the cold I've been fighting all week won out over my alarm clock this morning.
frown.gif
I'm looking forward to seeing everybody next Spring!

Again , Great shoot, and great job by the club. Had a blast and will be back next year. Thanks to Joe for the sandwich ,I was running on empty by 1. I Cant wait to shoot the alley way stage next season, and swithing the stages up is a welcome change.

CVRPC .22 TSC Championship Match Recap, October 8, 2011

The 2011 CVRPC .22 Tactical Steel Challenge season closed out yesterday with a great match. We had a total of 34 competitors experience consistent and almost ideal conditions with sunny skies, temps in the 70’s, and light to no wind. Everyone seemed to really step their game up a notch this match and the scores reflected as such. We had the highest percentage of shooters with scores in the 40’s and 50’s to date. 7 shooters cracked the 50+ barrier and 20 out of the 34 competitors fired a score of 40 or better. Of the 8 matches this year, this one was clear evidence of the tightening of the field with every point making a difference in the standings.

No one stepped up more this month than J. Lassiter. This month Joe stepped away from his familiar CZ 452 to see how an Anny MPR would fit his needs. With a borrowed gun, Joe fired an impressive 55 which elevated him to the top of the heap. T. Williams posted a 55 as well which set up a shoot off for the top honors. With the Stage 3 targets set at 210 yards, Joe managed to put more steel in the Carolina clay and took the win. Great shooting to you both! C. Choate showed that a Cooper can compete and took home the 3rd place cash. Other notables include M. Leonard who posted a 49 in his first ever match and fired the highest score to date with a Savage. Great shooting Matt and we hope to see you again in March.

We want to thank all the shooters who have made the 2011 TSC season a success. The folks who come out and shoot each month make this match worth the time and effort. We have been truly blessed with a safe season, great weather, and competitive and courteous shooters. We want to thank those who have tirelessly help plan, set up, run, and tear down the matches this season and it could not have happened without you.

We will begin the 2012 TSC season in March with a new look for Stage 1 that will add a challenging and exciting new format. We will continue to make range improvements, offer food and beverages when possible, and maximize the prize and purse to reward the competitors. In January I will post the 2012 schedule, rules, and format for the upcoming season.

Thanks,
Steve Roe
MD CVRPC 22 TSC

October 8th Match Results:

1. J. Lassiter Anschutz 55+7 1st
2. T. Williams CZ 55+4 2nd
3. C. Choate Cooper 53+5 3rd
4. S. Roe Anschutz 53
5. B. Johnson Anschutz 52
6. C. England Anschutz 51*
7. J. Roe Anschutz 51
8. Matt Leonard Savage 49
9. T. McRary Anschutz 48
10. K. Church Rem 40X 46
11. N. Sipe Rem 40X 45
12. B. Rogers Anschutz 43*
13. D. Leonard Savage 43
14. M. Church Anschutz 42
15. D. Lail CZ 41
16. P. Johnson Anschutz 40*
17. T. Holt Ruger 40
18. R. Brown Martini 40
19. G. Johnson CZ 40
20. J. Grady Rem 40X 40
21. S. Caudill Anschutz 38
22. J. Sigmon Ruger 37*
23. Jay Roe Anschutz 37 1st Jr.
24. J. Yale CZ 37
25. J. Parnell Savage 35*
26. I. Grady CZ 35
27. D. Roe Anschutz 34
28. S. Poplin Ruger 34
29. J. Murgo Anschutz 33
30. D. Underwood Savage 30
31. E. Reeves Savage 27
32. C. Pardue CZ 26
33. D. Bailey CZ 19
34. T. Fell Ruger 16

(*Ties broken by Stage 4 score)

Team Event: C. England & T. McRary 99

The “Gauntlet” side match: T. Williams

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....I have however received comments regarding an "equipment race" and do not want to see things get out of hand.....
....I do not want to see this happen....

.......we do not want to cause a difficulty for shooters with physical limits. We have shooters from 11 yr old to 80+ yr old and do not ever want to pose a situation that limits a persons ability to participate.....
</div></div>

Part 1. and part 2. are at odds with each other, I think.
The way to manage the "equipment race" is to get shooters off their belly and bipods.

Joe congrats on the victory! Did you beat Steve with his own rifle?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....I have however received comments regarding an "equipment race" and do not want to see things get out of hand.....

.......we do not want to cause a difficulty for shooters with physical limits. We have shooters from 11 yr old to 80+ yr old and do not ever want to pose a situation that limits a persons ability to participate.....
</div></div>

The way to manage the "equipment race" is to get shooters off their belly and bipods.</div></div>

ADI83704 did you make the trip from Idaho to shoot the match this month? How did you do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

The way to manage the "equipment race" is to get shooters off their belly and bipods.

</div></div>

Unless you have actually been to the match I don't think you can accurately comment on what we do and how. I would like to keep a standing offhand portion in the match but situations have been brought to our attention that have moved us to cut that portion out. Kneeling and sitting is out because quite frankly we already have a rifle match at our club that uses 4 position. Also it is easier for someone with bad knees to get in the prone position than a sitting or kneeling position, ask me how I know.
So do you assume that anyone with a high dollar rifle can shoot prone? I can look at the match reports and tell you that you cannot buy a win. I have been shooting competition long enough to tell you a win cannot be bought. The best shooters will always be near the top of the rankings....period. We have had 8 different winners in 11 matches, that is far from one sided. A tuner rigged gun has yet to win a match. When we talk of an equipment race we are talking about equipment that does not belong at a tactical match like F-Class bi-pods and barrel tuners.
Considering the feedback we have gotten this year if we go to 4 position we will likely lose half the shooters. As funny as it sounds this is a 22 Tactical Steel Challenge, not everyone has the facilities to put on a full blown centerfire Tac Match. We provide folks with the next best thing. The success of the match has hinged on the fact that we do not have burdensome and essoteric rules, and the new rules are neither. Both match directors are seasoned vets at directing and shooting matches, it appears we have a little know how in inventing them as well. We have had lots of suggestions and I will say again, we cannot please everyone and will not try. I can give you an analogy:
A woman who was a famous cook known for her soup had a pile of kids. Each child requested privately to their mother what they did not like in her soup. One child wanted the carrots left out and one wanted the cabbage left out, another wanted the beef left out and so on and so forth. The mother dutifully left out all the ingredients that were requested and her children were disapointed to find at the next evening's supper that they all had a steaming bowl of water.

We do the best we can with what we have and we have been successful.

To the competitors:
Thank you guys and ladies for a great year. Thanks for all the help setting targets and all the work that was put in at the range this year in upkeep , setting up and tearing down before and after the match. I enjoyed shooting with all of you this year and look forward to seeing you all again in 2012.

Joe Lassiter
assistant MD
22 TSC CVRPC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe congrats on the victory! Did you beat Steve with his own rifle?
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Thanks Tom. It was not Steve who loaned me his rifle it was Bryan Johnson, and I am in his debt. Bryan was only 3 points behind me so I wouldn't call it a beating. I did however leave a lot of points on the rails with an early shot on the plate machine( first time ever in a competition). The trigger took some getting used to and I broke a standing shot early so I only had 6 points on stage 1. I really wish I would have settled down in stage 1 as the score record could have been in my grasp. We missed you at the match and look forward to seeing you in March.

I borrowed S. Caudill's Annie and popped a 9x10 on the Gauntlet but so did Jaybird and his uncle Steve. That Jay can shoot!!!!!

Not harshing on anyone, but just tossing out $.02

To get everyone off their bellybutton just add a standing supported and kneeling supported COF.

for standing supported, give them an object to shoot off of and say shoot it any way you want but both feet have to be on the ground.

for kneeling supported, have an object to shoot off and say shoot it any way you want but one knee has to be on the ground. Add alot of carpet and padding to be kind to old knees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not harshing on anyone, but just tossing out $.02

To get everyone off their bellybutton just add a standing supported and kneeling supported COF.

for standing supported, give them an object to shoot off of and say shoot it any way you want but both feet have to be on the ground.

for kneeling supported, have an object to shoot off and say shoot it any way you want but one knee has to be on the ground. Add alot of carpet and padding to be kind to old knees. </div></div>

Respectfully, I don't think either Joe or Steve asked for your $.02

They have run a very successful, fun, and challenging match this year. A match that all whom have shot it thoroughly enjoyed! A match you have <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">never</span></span> shot nor have any intention of shooting.

This thread is for those match results and discussion about the match. It is not for a theoretical discussion about tactical rimfire equipment or possible CoF's. Joe already politely explained why CTSC uses the positions it does, yet you keep proposing they alter their CoF. Please find another place to push your agenda on others. Better yet, start hosting your own match and corresponding discussion thread. Thank you.

Joe, again congrats on the win. It sounds like you had one hell of a good day if you only got 6 of 14 points on Stage 1 and still shot a 55! That's a 16.3333 point average (18 points possible) on the remaining Stages. That makes the victory even more impressive! The question is though can you now go back to your CZ or is there an Anschutz in your future before next Spring?
wink.gif

Tom there is definately an Anschutz in my future. No disrespect to the CZ's and host of other rifles that are fielded here in 22TSC. A CZ is a formidable 22 rifle. I think I could have my CZ rebarreled and shoot into the 60's but with an Anschutz I KNOW I can. Steve will tell you I have wrung my hands and fretted over what to do in regards to putting money into the CZ or buying an Anschutz. The CZ is a gamble, there are no guarantees that a barrel will make it any better. Now there is evidence that rebarreled CZ rifles have decimated certain 50yd BR disciplines so much so that they reworked the rules to exclude them. However, this is not a 50yd game as you well know. 50yd performance is no indicator that your gun will excel at the 22 TSC, we have proven that roundly in this match. Long story short I think you will see a lot of new Anschutz rifles in March
smile.gif

Joe! Congrats on the win. That was a mighty fine rifle you shooted! I shot it once too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom there is definately an Anschutz in my future. No disrespect to the CZ's and host of other rifles that are fielded here in 22TSC. A CZ is a formidable 22 rifle. I think I could have my CZ rebarreled and shoot into the 60's but with an Anschutz I KNOW I can. Steve will tell you I have wrung my hands and fretted over what to do in regards to putting money into the CZ or buying an Anschutz. The CZ is a gamble, there are no guarantees that a barrel will make it any better. Now there is evidence that rebarreled CZ rifles have decimated certain 50yd BR disciplines so much so that they reworked the rules to exclude them. However, this is not a 50yd game as you well know. 50yd performance is no indicator that your gun will excel at the 22 TSC, we have proven that roundly in this match. Long story short I think you will see a lot of new Anschutz rifles in March
smile.gif
</div></div>

Joe I get what you're saying about knowing with the Annie. I've got a 64MPR on my "someday" list, it's just not going to be someday soon.
smile.gif
I'll be sticking with my CZ, although I'm in the process of upgrading glass, trigger, and possibly the stock.

OK guys now youve done it I have had to add an Annie to my wish list. Awsome shooting joe Congrats, well be back next year for sure, Chad with new optics, and me with a Cooper if the xmas wife is good to me.

Just a note to let you guys know Tres Mon will be teaching a survival class at Conover on the 12th of November. Wanted to tell it here as many of those at the TSC match this year expressed some interest in this. I do not know the time yet but defer to Tres for that info. Chime in and let us know your interest and intent. Thanks.
Joe

Thanks Joe!

Guys we are gonna take the day and work on the two most important items in a survival situation: Building a water poof & WARM shelter with our bare hands and nothing other than what we take from the landscape. Not string No tarps trash bags etc. Nothing man made.

Then we are gonna work on friction fire- We'll build fires by rubbing sticks together!

Time frames will be same as the matches were. We'll start at 9am and I'll be on hand until the last question is answered or we run out of daylight. Pack a lunch!

There will be no standing around/observing. Everybody will be getting their hands dirty. It might be a good idea to bring a note book.

Hey guys we have had no one sign up so we have decided to cancel the class for November 12th. We will entertain the thought again in the spring tenatively the 3rd Saturday in March. With deer season in full swing that may have slackened the interest.

Joe Lassiter
assistant MD
22TSC Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol Club

Hey Joe, March again for match start up? Looking foward to it. We have added a Pink savage in the family so looks like my daughter may tag along with me some this year. Times ticking down!

Barry

Hi Barry - Yes, we will start the 2012 TSC season in March; Saturday, 3/10/12 with sign up at 9:30AM. In the next couple days I will start a new thread with specifics for TSC 2012. Thanks and hope to see you in March. SR