• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Conquest v4 5-25 vs pst gen II 5-25

Gknight8845

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2019
New here but have been browsing for a couple days looking for thoughts and can’t seem to find any real comparisons between the two. Which I find odd being they seem so close in every aspect from functions to price. Every thread seems to go off track with people pushing their own preference of scope. So the down low here is that I’m looking for an affordable mid to long range scope to put on my new hunting rifle. 600 yds is more than pushing my comfort zone for hunting but like to flirt with the idea of being able to extend out a little more when playing. Doubt I will ever shoot past 800 though as much as I fantasize about it. So the two mentioned in the title along with the swar z5 5-25 is what I’m bouncing between. The z5 seems to be more functional for my purpose of use and range but the (what if) is whispering in the back of my head. Like the reticle in all three, though the Zeiss is a little heavy and the Swaro seems a little light. I have two Hd5’s and am happy with them, though do seem to fight the focus at times. Don’t know the step (up/down) that the v4’s are from them.

Criteria:
Hunting primary use
Could care less about sfp and ffp (if im shooting far enough to need adjustments I’m probably gonna have the time to dial)
600 possibly 800 max range needed
Trying to stay on the lighter side being I put in 8-10 miles easily a day hunting

I know I’ll probably get blasted with everyone’s other preferences but these are the ONLY ONES I’m considering. Just looking for hands on experience with them and the thoughts. Especially the v4 to pst. If I had my way I’d be getting vx-6hd as I’ve seen them run flawlessly for years on my dads guns and in my opinion along with his are the best all around long range hunting glass out there but alas the wife won that battle. Sorry for the Lengthy rundown and thanks in advance

IMO, The order of best all around quality (Optical and general product) would be
Swarovski
Zeiss
Vortex

It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you if you have time to give a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

That was my general assumption on reputation alone but don’t have first hand knowledge as looking at walls inside a store doesn’t show me much. How do the v4’s stack up to the hd5? To my knowledge they have different glass in them. The couple posts I’ve seen about it have went both ways.

If you like the VX6hd why not the VX5?
Offer much the same features, just capped windage, no illumination and less reticle options.

If you like the VX6hd why not the VX5?
Offer much the same features, just capped windage, no illumination and less reticle options.
The vx-5 doesn’t offer the high magnification I want. (That I’ve seen anyway) though I do prefer a capped windage

I think the vx5hd is coming with higher magnifications this year that may interest you.
That would definitely peek my interest price depending. If I could hold out that long anyway, snow will be melting here in a month and it will be hard to not be putting a scope on the gun and heading to the range at that point

Well my two cents worth. I purchased a HD Zeiss 5-25 last year because of their reputation and discounts offered at the time. I like the scope because its a first class item but I'll be honest....there are a lot of adjustments to make to obtain a perfect shot. I found myself looking for a simple scope when my antlered target was walking around not waiting for me to adjust everything to get it right...……….geez

Well my two cents worth. I purchased a HD Zeiss 5-25 last year because of their reputation and discounts offered at the time. I like the scope because its a first class item but I'll be honest....there are a lot of adjustments to make to obtain a perfect shot. I found myself looking for a simple scope when my antlered target was walking around not waiting for me to adjust everything to get it right...……….geez[/

I have the HD5 in the 5-25 with the z800 reticle myself and am happy with it. That’s why I’m considering the v4 and trying to find out info on it.

I haven’t looked through a pst gen 2. I had a gen 1 viper hs and currently have a Zeiss v4 4-16. The Zeiss glass is way better than the viper I had.

Mine weighs 21.5oz without the scope covers. Considering the glass quality and weight and a good turret with a great zero stop I think it’s a fantastic scope for hunting purposes/general long range shooting.

Low light clarity is very good. No issues 30min after sunset (our legal light limit), I felt plenty comfortable.

I wish I knew, I'm interested in the 4-20 for my new PRC hunting gun. I'm also looking forward to the Optika6 and the XTR3.

That Japana made Germany company Zeiss is PITA to try find clear image and same time sharp reticle.
I say no for Zeiss, i just received PST gen II 5-25x50 Vortex, stunning quality for that price.
P2230143.JPG