• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cons of putting a suppressor on a bolt action precision rifle?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,
I have a sweet shooting (0.24 moa) bolt action build, chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I also have a AI AXMC in 338 lapua (0.25 moa).

I am contemplating putting thunderbeast suppressors on both of these guns. One gun I use for PRS and other for ELR matches.

I am looking for feedback on cons of using a suppressor on a precision rifle. Does it impact accuracy, recoil or any other related aspect?

Looking for comments from folks who have had the experience and specifically of using it in matches.

thanks for your inputs.

Best
Harjeet

I don’t shoot matches other than fclass which cans are not allowed. So since that was a requirement you can just skip the rest of this,

Suppressor adds length, can knock crap from the can into your chamber, can come loose with certain mounts and especially on bigger calibers may not control recoil as well as a brake does. Just a few of my experiences on the reasons not to have one in a match

Here a thread similar to what you’re referencing

Last edited:
Reactions: harry_x1
To maintain relevance and provide an answer for people who haven't made up their mind, and since this isn't the bear pit; brakes are better for most matches, cans are better for most practical shooting.

But man, you've got some serious nerve showing up back here after the shit fit you threw last time. Why in the world would you think your question would be either well recieved or seriously answered? History tells us that unless you receive the answer you've already made up for yourself in your head, you're gonna throw another tantrum.

Advice to all following posters: don't.

/Thread

1674261145701.png

To maintain relevance and provide an answer for people who haven't made up their mind, and since this isn't the bear pit; brakes are better for most matches, cans are better for most practical shooting.

But man, you've got some serious nerve showing up back here after the shit fit you threw last time. Why in the world would you think your question would be either well recieved or seriously answered? History tells us that unless you receive the answer you've already made up for yourself in your head, you're gonna throw another tantrum.

Advice to all following posters: don't.

/Thread
Are you talking about THIS THREAD?

Are you going to start insulting people when you don't get an answer you like?
like this?

or highlights -
Your over reliance on ballistic calculator shows that you have little experience shooting elr. Remember calculators dont replicate real life 100%, there is nuance which is known only through experience. One day you will understand this, hopefully.​
.you are out of your league here. Come back after couple of years​
It is clear you are one of those lazy asses living paycheck to paycheck and wasting their time on SH stuffing their nose into every little filthy fight they see. Rather than wasting time behind keyboard and running others down; try humility, curiosity and time management.​
Now take this free advice and f*** O this thread to do something useful for urself and society.​

did I forget to mention to fuck off Harry

OIP.qbnvQT-MjRXM991GAvsiKQHaEK

Last edited:
Reactions: nn8734
Hi All,
I have a sweet shooting (0.24 moa) bolt action build, chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I also have a AI AXMC in 338 lapua (0.25 moa).

I am contemplating putting thunderbeast suppressors on both of these guns. One gun I use for PRS and other for ELR matches.

I am looking for feedback on cons of using a suppressor on a precision rifle. Does it impact accuracy, recoil or any other related aspect?

Looking for comments from folks who have had the experience and specifically of using it in matches.

thanks for your inputs.

Best
Harjeet
you should post your rifle's picture in the AI Picture thread; since you're $$$$$$$$$$$$; and the rest of us are "poor"
don't use this one... it's been taken..:ROFLMAO:
AI-AXSR-Rifle.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
you should post your rifle's picture in the AI Picture thread; since you're $$$$$$$$$$$$; and the rest of us are "poor"
don't use this one... it's been taken..:ROFLMAO:
AI-AXSR-Rifle.jpg
If he’s a shit poster don’t send him to destroy that thread 😒

• Haha
Reactions: babyguppy
Not to derail this thread, but I've seen Terminator and T2 a dozen times each and never seen this scene.
Thank you so much.
No worries on derailment. In fact, the sooner it’s off-track, the better.

That scene is in the first Terminator and happens shortly after the “I’ll be back” / police station scene.

What loads are you getting 1/4 moa from ?

Any 5x5s or just 5 shot groups ?

3 shot groups. Shoots like a laser beam. 300 grain berger, H1000 88.5 grain, AI AXMC with a 26 inch barrell.

Hi All,

thanks for your inputs.

Best
Harjeet
Sweet story bro .

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Majority run a muzzle brake or tuner/MB setup in PRS comps specifically. NRL Im not too familiar with but if its meant to replicate hunting Id think cans would be a tad more prevalent than PRS.

Field comps though, its basically the opposite - if you aren't running some kind of suppressor you are the butt of some jokes; not a huge deal IMO but does get to some ppl.

Personally I paid for a can (TBAC) and therefore I run a can. Its longer (duh) so in PRS going in and out of some barricades you need to practice the best way to do this without flagging and still retaining good time splits - but it can be done rather easily with practice. And if its super cumbersome on 1/10 or 2-3/20 stages you can always just remove it temporarily for that stage NBD.
-------
Accuracy - My gun isn't less accurate with a can, it may be more idk...but idk if thats attributable to the can could just be less concussive sound so Im more relaxed when firing idk

Recoil - So much nicer IMO as a shooter with a can, recoil impulse seems 'dulled' - more of a [push] than a [punch] from MB (I know 6.5 et al low recoil anyway but thats the trend Ive seen 6.5-300PRC).

Sound - Its also less fatiguing on my ears lighting off 100rds in a day, 2-300 in a weekend; easier to run just ear foams instead of full ear muffs if that hinders your cheek weld.

Cool - And lets not forget cool factor, it just looks cooler IMO.
-------
Get a TBAC can, maybe get the SR mount so you dont have to even think about if the can is coming loose.
ELR - get the longest you can (338 SR)
Comp gun - get shorter Dominus SR (6.25" I think?)
-------
My answer is yes run a can.

Pics of your comp gun and ELR gun?
Attached are pics of my comp+hunting+truck+tactical gun. I personally like functional/practical guns vs the heavy behemoths shooting punny little bullets that I mostly see in PRS matches. This rifle has a PVA heavy palma 18 inch barrell, Zermatt Arms TL3 action, XLR element 4.0 chassis, trigger tech single stage trigger and the leupold Mk 5HD 3.6x18x44 (35mm) FFP Illum Mil Scope and now a TB Ultra 9 6.5C can. It is fully equipped to take on my light vision clip on for night time ops/hunting. With can attached and Butt unfolded, the rifle is around 46 inches and with folded butt ~36 inches. Very manageable in my books.

I shoot 147 grain Hornady ELDMs at 2600 MV (without can). I rarely hold off the plate for wind in PRS style matches :).

Will check if there is substantial increase in MV, given the additional 7-9 inches. If I do see a gain in MV then I will either drop my powder charge or further cut barrell by 2 inches to nullify the increase in weight due to can. Without the can rifle weighed ~12 lbs. With can I am around 12.8 lbs. Will cut some extra flab in scope mount and the extended picatinny mounts to bring it sub 12 lbs (max for NRL hunter lite).

Not posting pictures for my AI AXMC with 338 Ultra as yet, because I am still waiting on the Compact Brake with correct thread pattern. Should post those in 7-10 days time.

Attachments

• 603052A4-4331-4BF3-9234-9548500958B9.jpeg
    603052A4-4331-4BF3-9234-9548500958B9.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 180D83AF-5554-4BF4-A02D-94B3ADEB2EE1.jpeg
    180D83AF-5554-4BF4-A02D-94B3ADEB2EE1.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 261
  • F556DC93-AF59-471C-8E19-CFE28219221C.jpeg
    F556DC93-AF59-471C-8E19-CFE28219221C.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 18C32917-043E-4A7B-8C88-ADBE062D8AC3.jpeg
    18C32917-043E-4A7B-8C88-ADBE062D8AC3.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 7CAD0862-7230-4256-83D7-5ECC59865468.jpeg
    7CAD0862-7230-4256-83D7-5ECC59865468.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 31C5B82F-6F7B-4AAF-9332-954D4D274CF2.jpeg
    31C5B82F-6F7B-4AAF-9332-954D4D274CF2.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 210
  • BCE1DD0E-EBBB-4DF7-8C54-3B5A6A940015.jpeg
    BCE1DD0E-EBBB-4DF7-8C54-3B5A6A940015.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 240
Attached are pics of my comp+hunting+truck+tactical gun. I personally like functional/practical guns vs the heavy behemoths shooting punny little bullets that I mostly see in PRS matches. This rifle has a PVA heavy palma 18 inch barrell, Zermatt Arms TL3 action, XLR element 4.0 chassis, trigger tech single stage trigger and the leupold Mk 5HD 3.6x18x44 (35mm) FFP Illum Mil Scope and now a TB Ultra 9 6.5C can. It is fully equipped to take on my light vision clip on for night time ops/hunting. With can attached and Butt unfolded, the rifle is around 46 inches and with folded butt ~36 inches. Very manageable in my books.

I shoot 147 grain Hornady ELDMs at 2600 MV (without can). I rarely hold off the plate for wind in PRS style matches :).

Will check if there is substantial increase in MV, given the additional 7-9 inches. If I do see a gain in MV then I will either drop my powder charge or further cut barrell by 2 inches to nullify the increase in weight due to can. Without the can rifle weighed ~12 lbs. With can I am around 12.8 lbs. Will cut some extra flab in scope mount and the extended picatinny mounts to bring it sub 12 lbs (max for NRL hunter lite).

Not posting pictures for my AI AXMC with 338 Ultra as yet, because I am still waiting on the Compact Brake with correct thread pattern. Should post those in 7-10 days time.

That a luepold scope? And a Magpul bipod?

IMG-20220507-WA0004.jpg

Maser?