• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Considering a .260 build...older Savage 110?

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    So I have a lead on an older looking Savage 110 in 30-06 for a great price. I have been wanting to build a .260 Rem for a while, and I know this action is longer than needed, but I don't think it's really an issue from what I understand.

My plan would be to probably hunt with it as is this fall in the close range timber and then do a winter project of converting it to a match/260 with CDI bottom metal, an A5 type stock and a good quality barrel.

You guys that have done savage builds know of any issues I would have with any of that? I'm a bit concerned about finding a bottom metal that would fit a long action, but would take short action mags the .260 uses. Having a longer bolt stroke than needed does not concern me, if I remember right all the army m24's are built on LA Rem 700's even though most are chambered for 7.62x51.

Also curious what kind of barrel life you guys are getting with the .260s? I have never seen the need for max loads, especially with high BC bullets. Thanks ahead of time!

Re: Considering a .260 build...older Savage 110?

I have a Savage 110 with a Criterion varmint weight barrel chambered for 260 Rem. It shoots great (1/2 MOA). I have not had any issues feeding from the original blind magazine. I am using a older Sharp Shooter Supply synthetic stock

I have not gotten on the removable magazine bandwagon, so 'I can't help there.

Check with CDI - I believe they have a DBM bottom metal setup for short-action mags on long-action Savages.

Having the longer action will allow you flexibility in OAL of your cartridges, not a bad thing, and you can always block the magazine off in the back if necessary to make feed properly.

Since you already have the long action you may also consider a 6.5x55

Well, thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately the deal fell through on his end. I am still planning on doing this though for sure! Just gotta find the action.