• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering a 550B

Nefariousd

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Prescott Arizona
I was in one of the local shops today and he had a new, but used in that it was previously purchased, 550B for $389 with 10mm/40, 45 ACP conversion, some sort of stand and instruction video for $389.

I don't know that I need this but, I'd like to speed up production on my .223 blaster bullets and maybe make some .308 to feed my AR-10.

I have all the stuff to do this stuff now, I was just curious how many people use them for .223 and if it seemed like a reasonable deal.

Thanks

Re: Considering a 550B

I have the 650 and it's a damn fine piece of equipment. I use it for handgun and my semi rifles. I do not use it for my precision handloads, still using my single stage press/Chargemaster for that. I can't get the kind of consistency I want with a powder measure. If you plan on reloading 223/556 once fired military brass that has to be swagged I would suggest saving up for the 1050 since it will swage as you reload instead of feeding every case to the super swagger.
BTW, I've had really good luck with AA2230 and the powder measure since the balls are very fine.

Just my 2 cents.

I went with the 550B instead of the 650 just because I do a lot of different calibers, and it is easier to change without the auto advance function the 650 has.

Funny mount is "strongmount", which means you can add a bullet holding tray/pan onto the left side, and also lets you fairly easily clamp 3 corners of it to the corner of a table, if you don't want to permanently mount the press. I do this, so I can clear off my workbench when I am not using it.

Ball powder meters fine for blasting type ammo in 223, and stick powder will work in .308 and larger cases, and will also work in .223, with a little charge variation.

Before I bit the bullet and spent the money, I looked at eBay. If you decide that it is not for you, you should be able to sell it for 90% of retail price, due to the "lifetime no-bs warranty". So if you are getting a good price on it in the first place, you really can't lose out if you decide that you don't like it and want to get rid of it.

You really don't need the video. All Dillon manuals can be downloaded from their website, and you can find set-up videos on youtube.

All Dillon dealers have to honor MSRP, but several offer free shipping to lower the total price.

http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

$420 fro press with one caliber conversion and no dies.
another $47 for the strongmount.

If you're going to buy, you should buy from Brian Enos. Great guy and community he has going. Knows his stuff, too. Great CS.
I would recommend the strong mount and roller handle. Enos has a package "as it should be" that you'll want.

/2 cents

I loaded .223 on my 550B for a short while. Found that brass prep had me using it like a pseudo single stage. So, I bought a turret press and find it much more convenient. I don't load plinking rounds, all rounds are loaded for accuracy, so the speed is not important to me. I use the 550B for my pistol rounds.

Have you considered the Hornady L-N-L, super easy caliber changes, and the 5th station allows a powder check of some sort for pistol rounds, cost is about the same as the 550, but with all the 650 features, I have niether but want the 650 or the LNL because I'm affraid of my Glock 40 getting a double charge.

The Hornady LNL AP out of the box is nothing more then a 550 with auto index. To do powder thru expander operation like a Dillon you end up buying a lot of small parts one part for lead and one part for jacketed bullets. So, that adds up in costs to get to 650 like performance. The Case Feeder costs more then a Dillon, because you buy the case feeder shell plate separately. So there are other nickel and diming costs.
Of course the conversions for the 650 are almost twice the 550.

Personally, there is no true progressive way to load rifle brass with all the associated case prep involved. I just feed prepped brass to the 550 and away I go. This saves a lot of time.

You get not better deal from Brian Enos, as he does not stock stuff. Rather items are drop shipped from Dillon for him. He just eats the shipping costs with larger orders. Dillon has MAP, and so there is no real discount options out there for New Dillon Products.

If you want advice then BE is a good soruce.

But for the money you are talking that sounds like a decent deal.
Dillon has one the best CS/Warranty in the business.

+1 on purchasing from Enos and his "as it should be" package. Easy caliber changes with multiple tool heads and so you're always set up and ready to go. Hard to go wrong with a 550B as a first press. And when you're ready to step up to that 1050, you'll find it held onto most of its value in the resale.

I got mine from Brian - he is a good guy and will help you though the process, and his web site for the 'As it Should Be' configurator is dam good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady LNL AP out of the box is nothing more then a 550 with auto index. </div></div>

The LNL AP has 5 stations, individually easily changeable dies, reliable spent primer and debris handling, and a powder measure that works with a wider variety of powders, in any station, and swaps pre-set and/or micrometer metering inserts without tools or emptying the powder.

The 550 has none of these features.

Andy

If your primary use is .223, you might want to look into the 650- the optional casefeed for the 650 will feed from small pistol up to magnum rifle. The case feed for the 550B only feeds small and large pistol. Manual indexing on the 550B isn't exactly a ton of fun either. But at the same time it's not a deal breaker

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight.

I really wonder if I shouldn't just stick with what I use now. It's cheap, it works, I have the system down and $400 would buy a BUNCH of bullets.

Right now for blasters I use a Lee classic cast four hole auto index with an auto disk on top and a crimp die, I'm getting a loaded round about every 22 seconds from a fired case and it kinda seems like the 550 might not be able to improve on that much.

I have a 650 and I LOVE it for plinker ammo. I'd estimate my loading rate is at least double yours, and that's without a case feeder. (Doesn't count cases into and out of the tumbler) Add a case feeder and I'll bet I can realistically do 600 rounds an hour.

It all comes down to how much you shoot and what your time is worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It all comes down to how much you shoot and what your time is worth. </div></div>

I think that's where I'm at. I used to run around with the AR and shoot a lot.

Now, I basically do about 200 .223, 200 .308 and about 150 .338 every other week. Most of the loads are done on a single stage. I just wanted to hurry through a couple thousand 55's I bought just to have them on hand for friends to shoot and for the kids (they still love the AR)

So the additional investment might not really be reasonable for me at this time.

Thanks for the input

The 550B is fine for laoding 223/5.56 plinking ammo with ball powder. Stick powder either tends to vary to much in load dropped or splls all over the place. Stick powder is fine for 308 plinking loads but the Dillon powder measure isn't vey consistant. I use a RCBS chargemaster and skip the Dillion Powder measure position for accurate loads in both calibers. I'd stick with what you have if your system works for you.

Our buddy Hoser showed us how to modify a Dillon powder measure for more consistent charges

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our buddy Hoser showed us how to modify a Dillon powder measure for more consistent charges</div></div>
I searched for this, but didn't find anything. Could you post a link?

Agreed, Hoser post is fine for more consistent loads but still doesn't solve the problem of the powder spills reloading 223/5.56 when using stick powder with the Dillon measure.

I wouldn't get too hung up on auto index, 550 is plenty quick....

Auto index is not just about speed/convenience. Double/squib charges are much less likely on an auto-indexed press, or a 5 station press with room for a lock-out or other type of powder check die.

Andy

That's interesting, I've always felt the opposite about auto index...each to his own. I never had to worry about double charges, with a 38 super....

No brainer. The only thing to consider is whether you can cough up the requisite buckage. I bought mine used going on 20 years ago, never had a problem the warranty didn't cover in a phone call and an eyeblink.

Greg