• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Considering a 6.8 instead of a 5.56 AR

TattooedScumbag

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2008
Longview,Tx
Piss poor timing on my part but now that I'm done with Christmas I am going to build an AR since I had to sell off most of my stuff I am starting over.

I want to get into precision shooting instead of going to the range and blasting. I plan on a bolt gun but I feel I better get this one out of the way first. I'm considering going with a 6.8 instead of a 5.56 since I'm actually finding parts I need for the 6.8, but my main concern is feeding it. Even average blasting ammo in 5.56 is getting on up there in price and availability whereas I'm seeing 6.8 in stock even though it costs more. Am I right in thinking that I may avoid a lot of hassle by going with a 6.8?

I do want to be able to get setup to start reloading by spring/summer.

Re: Considering a 6.8 instead of a 5.56 AR

6.8 fmj runs around $15. SSA brass sells for $45-50/100 so after you start loading you can probably load for .40 if you consider how many loads you get out of the brass.
You can legally hunt with a 6.8 in states that will not allow deer hunting with a 5.56.
The 5.56 is always going to be cheaper to shoot even when reloading.
The 77gr SMKs have about the same BC as the 110 Vmax or Accubond so both are close in exterior ballistics.

If the option is there then go for it, at least with the availability where you're at, you can start shooting in the short run instead of having to scramble for parts and components. There's a lot of options for the 6.8, if you get mags such as CPD or PRI mags, you can use SSA's 140gr. load for long range shooting, if you reload than you're options get a lot wider. For plinking ammo, Federal is coming along with well priced ammunition, $15.99 MSRP, so it should be a bit lower than that, and Tula is slated to release cheap ammo as well, although we haven't gotten word from them in a while.

It just seems there will be less hands grabbing for parts and ammo. I just dont want to build another average AR with a 16" chrome lined barrel.

Quality 5.56 ammo is more expensive than 6.8 now, junk 5.56 ammo might pass it also if the market keeps going like it is.

6.8 offers more power in the same package. I have 2 ARP 6.8s and love them for hunting, it really lays the smack down on deer. It is very popular for hogs too, those are some tough animals. Go with brands such as ARP, Bison and Wilson Combat and you will be GTG. Stay away from dinosaur SPC chambers..

2013 is going to be a good year for the 6.8 with the new comings from Federal/ATK and LWRC. SSA should have the 6.8 BSP sub ammo coming out for the 1/7 twist barrels.

I'm building a .264 gARP for a long range steel banger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooedShooterTx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It just seems there will be less hands grabbing for parts and ammo. I just dont want to build another average AR with a 16" chrome lined barrel. </div></div>

The only parts different from a 5.56 will be the bolt, mag and ammo. While the 5.56 is anemic when compared, you should have at least one in your stash. I had 4 5.56s at one time but down to one now since getting into the 6.8.

Seems about the only thing I see 346ci post about is 6.8 SPC, on this and other forums. 346ci, do you have a vested interest in the 6.8?

If you are going to reload the 6.8 is a sweet round. An you can also hunt with it.
+1 for the 6.8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality 5.56 ammo is more expensive than 6.8 now, junk 5.56 ammo might pass it also if the market keeps going like it is.

6.8 offers more power in the same package. I have 2 ARP 6.8s and love them for hunting, it really lays the smack down on deer. It is very popular for hogs too, those are some tough animals. Go with brands such as ARP, Bison and Wilson Combat and you will be GTG. Stay away from dinosaur SPC chambers..

2013 is going to be a good year for the 6.8 with the new comings from Federal/ATK and LWRC. SSA should have the 6.8 BSP sub ammo coming out for the 1/7 twist barrels.

I'm building a .264 gARP for a long range steel banger. </div></div>

So stay away from the 6.8 spc chambering? What about 6.8 spc II? Is 1/11 the common twist?

6.8 SpcII will allow you to shoot any factory ammo. 1/10 - 1/12 twist all work fine. You can back order mags from Brownells, Midway, or PRI---I have no doubt they will fill their orders quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooedShooterTx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality 5.56 ammo is more expensive than 6.8 now, junk 5.56 ammo might pass it also if the market keeps going like it is.

So stay away from the 6.8 spc chambering? What about 6.8 spc II? Is 1/11 the common twist? </div></div>
Most of the early 6.8 barrels were 10 twist with 6 grooves and lands. They were typical 270 winchester blanks. They have a small bore area that increases pressure and does not allow maximium performance. The newer 11, 11.25 and 12 twist barrels have the correct bore area to allow hotter loads and more velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooedShooterTx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality 5.56 ammo is more expensive than 6.8 now, junk 5.56 ammo might pass it also if the market keeps going like it is.

So stay away from the 6.8 spc chambering? What about 6.8 spc II? Is 1/11 the common twist? </div></div>

The SPC chamber is ok with some ammo but not all. The SPC II and ARP's 6.8X43 chamber solve this issue, hence no reason to go with the older SPC chamber.

I looked a while back and went with the 6.5 Grendel instead. So glad. That rifle, has a 20" Satern bbl., it is a .33MOA rifle. Some loads have similar trajectory as 7.62, some outperform it at longer ranges. Amazing round, probably the single highest performing round you can fire from the AR platform, period.

I handload for it, I suspect brass will be around for a while as it all comes through one guy basically. The good stuff anyway. Short of that, it wouldn't be hard to organize a group buy somewhere to have Lapua run a lot of 50 or 100 thousand pieces. They'll do that, you know. Run custom lots of discontinued brass they've made before provided the order is big enough. And if they won't, Hornady probably will.

6.8 is a good round for the 300m range, but it doesn't have the same BC as the Grendel, which is to my knowledge, one of the best BC's short of the .338 Lapua, and best in AR period. Meaning, the Grendel will smoke the 6.8 at say, 1000m. It isn't hard at all to sling lead accurately with the 6.5G at 1000m, and boring as hell out to 300m. My 6.5 that I built is DEFINITELY a keeper for sure, it really changed my opinion of what that platform was truly capable of.

For a fun one, if you can have suppressors then for sure, you can't go wrong with a .300BLK! That one has to be the most fun to shoot, especially with subs. And with supers, it is only 100-200fps shy of the 7.62x39 --but way more accurate, and with subs, it basically mimics the .45ACP only with a much, much higher BC. Was amazed to hit steel at 200m with only minor elevation adjustments to the scope. And it hits HARD! Not like the Grendel, but harder than the 5.56 for sure.

Just my opinion. When I was looking, they were still sorting out 6.8, 6.8SPC, 6.8SPCII... I still don't know what rifling to use for what or what combo is the best for all around, etc. I do know getting the Grendel barrel cut with a true Grendel ream by a master barrel maker will yield a fantastic tool for long range. I also know that mags were very easy to find during the rush. I bought about 30 or so this time around alone. Pretty sure they were out of 6.8's.

Again, just my opinion based on my research on it. Good luck whatever you go with!

The 6.8 isn't just limited to 300 yards, and as a target shooting round, it has around the same range as the 6.5, heres a few numbers:

6.5grendel 16" barrel
factory 123gr. Amax 2350fps according to Hornady
600 yards: 1558fps 19.6 MOA drop
1000 yards: 1139fps 45.6 MOA drop

6.8 spc 16" barrel
factory 140gr. Berger vld 2401fps according to SSA
600 yards: 1564fps 18.6 MOA drop
1000 yards: 1126fps 44.37 MOA drop

very close with this factory ammunition, more people are going to 120-140gr. bullets for the 6.8 for long range target rounds, the 6.8 is very capable of shooting to 1000 yards. Most people stick with the high velocity 85-110gr. bullets for hunting though, and as I have said, the 95gr. TTSX is hard to beat as a hunting round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the 6.8, for an AR hunting round..
Range toy, stick with a 5.56 or if you want to shoot longer range get a 6.5 </div></div>
^^^THIS^^^

Solid advice & ccoker knows his stuff!

I LOVE the 6.8 for hunting. I run a Cardinal 16" upper with WOA barrel with 6.8 SPC II chamber. It's an absolute HAMMER with the SSA 110gr. Pro Hunter "combat" loads. Have taken a nice 9 point buck that probably weighed 165 pounds, one shot DRT. Bullet resided just inside the opposing hide, could have been used for a bullet ad in a magazine. Perfect mushroom shape, no fragmenting, etc.

Can't recommend the load enough for this application. Lots of fun to shoot, too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.8 isn't just limited to 300 yards, and as a target shooting round, it has around the same range as the 6.5, heres a few numbers:

6.5grendel 16" barrel
factory 123gr. Amax 2350fps according to Hornady
600 yards: 1558fps 19.6 MOA drop
1000 yards: 1139fps 45.6 MOA drop

6.8 spc 16" barrel
factory 140gr. Berger vld 2401fps according to SSA
600 yards: 1564fps 18.6 MOA drop
1000 yards: 1126fps 44.37 MOA drop

very close with this factory ammunition, more people are going to 120-140gr. bullets for the 6.8 for long range target rounds, the 6.8 is very capable of shooting to 1000 yards. Most people stick with the high velocity 85-110gr. bullets for hunting though, and as I have said, the 95gr. TTSX is hard to beat as a hunting round. </div></div>

That 300m comment was a good laugh, I had to look twice to make sure he was talking about the 6.8, lol. Surely some don't have much experience with the round. The 140gr SSA load was a good step for the 6.8, really leveled the playing field for it and the .264/g. I'm still building a 264 gARP though to really stretch it out, unless H gets the 6BR barrels in before mine ships.

So far I have have ran hand loaded 6.8 out to 500yds, the heavier bullets such as the 115gr Noslers seem to work well, even better when they are $13/100 on sale. I have 200 of the 140gr Bergers but no time to test 'em. I much rather shoot the 6.8 than my .308 at those distances, for the recoil alone if anything. I hoping the 264 will cure my ales..

While it may be just a range toy I would like to go to the range and make good shots then learn from those to make better shots. The last ar I had I would take through the range and blast through lots of ammo and while it was fun it wasn't as satisfying as if I was out there really learning the rifle and becoming a better shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the 6.8, for an AR hunting round..
Range toy, stick with a 5.56 or if you want to shoot longer range get a 6.5 </div></div>

I used to have a RRA 5.56. Took it to the range several times. Each trip cost $$$ to feed it. $7 a box of 20 for range ammo from local stores. So one mag is $10.50 roughly to fire 30 rounds at Coke cans, boards, and sometimes tannerite. Ended up selling it the first time this nation lost all sense and elected Obama.

Purchased a S&W m&p 15-22. $20 for 550 rounds of fun can't be beat. Home defense? Inside of a home with wife and children I would certainly grab it loaded with CCI stingers in a 25rd mag for defense.

I too was looking at putting together another AR but wanted something different than the 5.56.

Reloading? With case prep and all do you know how long it would take to load 500 rds to take to the range? Awhile. I have a turret press and a single stage, but even if you had a dillon you can't get around case prep which is the most time consuming part of the process.

Good luck in your decision, and finding your parts and components.

Yeah Im going to pick me and wife up a savage .22 bolt action and scope em. We shot her brothers at Christmas and she LOVED it.

I am amazed, a week after I sold my Wilson Combat Recon 6.8 upper, 6.8 ammo prices are CHEAPER than 5.56! YIKES! Well that 6.8 packs a good punch, enjoy it.

Allot has been already said. It's a fine caliber. Hard hitting & accurate. Groups of 1MOA & even under 1/2 MOA are common .

My 6.8spc impressed me this deer season. Took a buck and a doe and the internal damage was on par with the two my bro-in-law took with a 308. On par killing power in the smaller lighter ar15 platform.

On the AR rimfire note: I just ordered two of the cmmg 22lr conversion kits from midway yesterday. This way my wife and I can continue to enjoy or ARs at a much cheaper rate while still practicing with the actual firearm setup, trigger, and weight.