• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering Armalite AR-10(T) Carbine

Boatman45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
TX
Hi guys, new member, long time reader.

Im considering buying this model, mostly for hunting. I haven't read or heard too much about the AR-10 T's, and practically nothing about the 16 inch carbine.

My questions are:

What is your opinion on this model or Armalite T models in general? Do you have an alternate make or model in mind?

Can I expect it to be sub MOA with 175 SMK's ?

For out to 800 yds, which would probably be my max range, will the shorter barrel give me that much less accuracy than say the 20 inch model?

Will the muzzle blast be so great that it becomes overwhelming or annoying?

Any other thoughts, opinions or reccomendations?

Thanks for any replies, gentlemen. I'm just trying to do some decent research before I open my wallet.

Boatman45

Re: Considering Armalite AR-10(T) Carbine

I've had a 24" AR10T for better than 12 year now. I've put about 2800 rnds through it and it is still easily a sub moa rifle, I expect that out of it all the time. If I remember right its an 11.25 twist and I use 178 Amax's in it, it really likes them and it did well with the SMK's also. I really like Armalite for factory AR's. I've bought two more since this one and have never regreted the purchases. They are all very relialble and I just dont see better quality without steping up to a custom. That lifetime warrantee's pretty nice also.
wink.gif
Good luck and welcome to the Hide.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a 24" AR10T for better than 12 year now. I've put about 2800 rnds through it and it is still easily a sub moa rifle, I expect that out of it all the time. If I remember right its an 11.25 twist and I use 178 Amax's in it, it really likes them and it did well with the SMK's also. I really like Armalite for factory AR's. I've bought two more since this one and have never regreted the purchases. They are all very relialble and I just dont see better quality without steping up to a custom. That lifetime warrantee's pretty nice also.
wink.gif
Good luck and welcome to the Hide.

okie </div></div>

Second that...what barrel you have on yours? Mine is the same Armalite AR10T / Lothar Walther 24"...11.25 twist.
Like the OP...have been looking into a carbine upper...most likely a 18"...still doing homework on what's out there.

No NBT, I didn't get the LW barrel but later, for reasons I dont remember, I wished I would have. Now, after so many rounds and still performing as it does, I doubt it would have been any better, I'm perfectly happy with it and always have been. If I remember right its a Hart barrel but I may be wrong, its been too long. I've also got an AR10A2 with 20" ss match barrel and sights, all factory built except for the RRA match triger. Whenever I want to prove how good an old man I still am, I get it out, it dont lie.
wink.gif

okie

I've gone with eight ARMALITE AR-10s since 1999 and still
have three of them:
24" 10T
20" 10A4FA
20" 10TFA

Just could never go below 20" with .308 WIN.

I have a 16" middie barrel/bolt combo in 6.8x43 from AR15Performance for shorter barrel needs.
P1010030.jpg

If'n I'm skeered that I only have one or two chances to make good, the 16" TJ{Marty}.458 SOCOM comes out.
P1010010.jpg

BUT, I say go for it.

About 10 years ago I had the TC model and it fired sub 1/2 MOA groups consistently. Very nice rifle.

Jim G

Muzzle blast isn't bad unless you put a brake on it. I built a 16" for myself using DPMS pattern receivers and it has been 100%. Considering how incredibly easy they are to put together I would not buy one unless you get a screaming deal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boatman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can I expect it to be sub MOA with 175 SMK's ?
</div></div>

If it's a free floated barrel and you are doing everything correctly then yes I would expect that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">800 yds, which would probably be my max range, will the shorter barrel give me that much less accuracy than say the 20 inch model?
</div></div>

Are you shooting for group size or just banging away at rocks etc?

Boatman,

I've had an AR10(T) carbine for a little over a year and a half. I'm very impressed with it. I've tried just about every bullet/powder combination available and find the 175 SMK behind 44.7 grains of Win748 to be the best for me. It is a solid sub MOA shooter. My personal best with it has been a 5 shot group at 0.5 moa, with four of the shots in 0.3 MOA. With a 1.5 lb scope, sling, bipod and a fully loaded 20 round mag it tips the scales at about 13.5 lb. With a muzzle brake the bast and recoil are totally manageable. I've only shot it out to 614 yds, but it is still an MOA weapon. I'm also running a Tubbs carrier weight and Slash's CAR-10 heavy buffer and spring. If anything were to happen my AR10(T), I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the insight. I decided to go with the 20 inch as a compromise. It's got the best of both worlds, and from what everyone has said, should be a great rifle. I'll share my results after I take it out to the range this weekend.

Boatman

1 1/2 inch five shot group at 200 yards is the best so far. 175 Fed SMK. Break in is such a pain!

I think the 20 inch is a great setup. I have owned two AR-10s in this barrel length and the balance is excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boatman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 1/2 inch five shot group at 200 yards is the best so far. 175 Fed SMK. Break in is such a pain! </div></div>

If you are geeting results like that while still delaing with the distractions and interruptions associated with break-in processes, I think you may well exceed your expectations later.

My own 16" Armalite AR-10TC shot groups well under 0.5 MOA with my handloaded ammunition.

Jim G