• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering EOD

CE1371

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
AZ/CO
Looking at going EOD.

My only context for how EOD operates is limited to my time in Afghanistan providing the 5 C's while they do their thing in addition to a bit of cross training pre-deployment that they did with my engineer company.

As far as choosing a branch, my understanding is that all branches attend the same EOD school. What makes one branch of EOD different from another?

Navy - Get to go to dive school, jump school, and if you're lucky, you get into a unit that provides direct support for NSW/SOF

Marine Corps - Get to be a little more discerning in who they allow into the game due to the fact that they only let in NCO's and all prospective candidates must pass a board made up of EOD techs. I would not have to change branches and all that goes with that if I stuck with the Corps.

Air Force - It's the Air Force. Air conditioning, hotter women, better facilities both at home and in the field, better chow, better/newer gear, more education benefits, etc etc etc.

Army - I don't know of anything Army side that distinguishes itself from the other programs...

I'd love to hear the opinions and advice of some EOD techs on the matter.

Re: Considering EOD

I was a 1371 in the Marines. Combat Engineer. Never played EOD but we had a unit in my BN and we worked together often as I was part of the S3 for training. (7th ESB)

Great MOS. During my time there was a lot of SSGT's cleaning shitters as Desert Storm had just ended, there wasn't much to do, and it's a "top heavy" MOS. Meaning once in, few ever leave until they are run off by retirement mandates.

Might be different these days due to the war, but I'd certainly get with your "career jammer" and make sure.

Good luck!

C.

My kid went Army EOD, after 9 yeards transfered to the AF Reserve.

The training is the same, the mission is a bit different. Meaning, in the states the Army does all ground EOD work dealing with Military Explosives, The AF does only AF and in down aircraft and such.

The Navy does only from the beach out to sea.

As I said the above deals with State Side and only Military exploseves. The exception is when no Civilian EOD is available.

I was civilian EOD. Legally we, (Civ) had to be called to any non military explosive calls, therefore on the average we get the IEDs or home made explosives. We also get the investigation side, unless its federal propertyh or we (civilians) call for assistence from ATF. We also provide degnatary security. Sometimes we can call the military for assistance if they have something we don't. Depending on the department, Civilians may not have the funds for some of the equipment (X-rays, robots, etc). My department had pretty up to date equipment, but it took getting a bomb tech hurt to get it.

AFT, FBI, SS. Post Office, and other Government agencies dont do the bomb tech work, the stick to post blast investigations. They use civilians if available, if not then Military.

We worked close to the Army EOD units in Anchorage do to Ft Rich being close. We trained together. In my 16 years in EOD we only had to use them once, that was before we got dogs, We used theirs to search a plane. (Dogs are much quicker).

The advantage of Civilian EOD is the Sr. Tech was in charge TOTALLY, he made the decissions and that was it. No silly federal guidlines to follow. Safety was the main concern.

Back to Military EOD. I can only address the Air Force and Army as I've trained with both and my son and I have had several conversations about the job.

He was deployed both as Army and AF EOD. The Army got all the grunt work. The AF dealt with only AF problems. Downed AC, AF Base EOD situations. The army got most of the IED work. PlUS the destructions of munitions.

Both are small close nit units. They are less format then major commands.

They do get pretty much the same training, the Navy being the major school. The the army moves on to deal with army explosives and the AF with AF explosives. Different missions means different training.

Th biggest grip my son and other Military EOD has is they don't get the imporvised explosive (IED) training the Civilian Bomb Techs do. Sure they get more training as they deploy, but that's pretty much all Civilian Techs deal with, (except found military or commerical explosives). All we trained with is home made stuff. Also the military dosn't get the Post Blast investigation training we get.

Also, as mentioned earlier Military EOD had policy and procedures they have to follow. The civilians don't, Our policy is never hand enter any divice unless life is involved. Regardless of the value of the property, if people can be evacuated we use a water cannon, or blow in place.

Give an example, I mentioned above getting an AF dog to search an airplane at Anchorage International. The dog hit on a brief case. We couldnt get too it with a robot so I was going to rope it out of the plane. (EOD rope use is an art in itself). I had a series of pullies and ropes to drag the suspected package from the plane into the termanal (which had been evacuated). I started dragging to package out when the Airport Manager asked if it could go off, I said "indeed it could, that's why I'm at the end of the rope". He started to tell me the plane and termanal was worth too much for that, I handed him the rope and started to walk off. He changed is mine and I pulled the package out and found it to be a false hit.

Anyway the AF EOD Dog handler told me that could never pull that off, they would have to hand enter it. Civilians value life over property.

I hope that gives you some ideal of EOD.

I got to spend a lovely year conducting route clearance over in the sandbox, so we worked very close with Navy and Marine Corps EOD. They were some of the best guys I ever had the priviledge of working with over there, and I will never forget them. A little crazy, but incredibly brave.

I'm sure that whatever EOD branch you go to, you will work with many exceptional people

Thank you all for the info. Every little bit helps and Kraig you gave me plenty to think about, I sure appreciate it.

I worked with Navy EOD in the southern Philippines. They are among the most professional operators I ever served with. Navy EOD gets fantastic training, excellent assignments, and are usually supporting SOF. What more can you ask for? I say go for it.

If you can swim go Navy. AF runs basic school from there on lots more to follow to include waterborne and CBRD. Also opportunity to work with/in NSW or Secret Service in plain clothes. Lots of job ops post career for techs.

Sorry I don't agree with Navy only working sea to beach...think about it how many SEALS are diving these days? Yes training is heavy on underwater UXO but its not the current mission or threat. Just a skillset unique to that branch but not the only realm in which they work.

Training is a good thing so go for the the longest and most comprehensive training available.

I'd recommend AF.

Especially since its moving away of CE and becoming its own stand alone "battle field" airmen AFSC

Basically, it lets you feel all bamf status, and you get a beret...

truestory.png

Navy, hands down! Good budget, top knotch gear/equipment, exceptionally professional people, very diverse work opportunities/deployments, and outstanding training on a very regular basis (static line, free fall, HALO, shooting, diving, demo, fast-roping, rapelling, etc...) As far as I know, none of the other branches have anywhere near the tactical capabilities as Navy EOD does... if that's your thing.

Ref school: You need to be VERY comfortable in the water, in well above average shape, and very very strong academically.

I'm currently assigned to and deployed with an EOD unit, so PM me if you are serious and have questions.

My sisters man is Navy EOD and everything gunner0812 echoes what he's told me.
He's told be quite a few good cold water stories

if you go army EOD i know alot of the dudes i worked with over seas have a lot of money to be made when they get out.. the job skill set is in high demand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you go army EOD i know alot of the dudes i worked with over seas have a lot of money to be made when they get out.. the job skill set is in high demand</div></div>

Thats true with any of the branches, even civilian EOD. I got on a list where a company provides EOD techs. Don't have to go overseas, lots of jobs in this country, doing range clearance and such. Some exotic (safe) places too. Temp and long winded jobs, you pick the one you want based on lenght of contract or where you want to go.

Gentlemen, I'm truly amazed at the wealth of knowledge and experience to be had via the members of this site. Thank you very much for your replies.

@Gunner - I appreciate your offer, as I continue to research this I'll send any Navy or EOD school specific questions your way.