• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering FRF2: Grade B's Worth it?

Justinian

Private
Minuteman
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking without an account for a while and have been reading up on information. I am considering an FR-F2 because I have money to throw and I think it's cool in all honesty. Have had a soft spot for old-school rifles, especially with studying history and that jazz in university.

I was mainly geared towards the Grade B's, but seeing that the ones sub 5,000 USD have issues (cracked stocks, missing sights, bipod parts), I wanted to see if there is any practical way of getting replacement parts for them.

If not, am I stuck going for Grade A's that approach the FEG SVDs? Or potentially even something else? I'll take recommendations even, so far I've been told to just purchase a SCAR-20 or HK762/417/G28, or even just get the SVD.

I'd appreciate any help and information, and thank you!

If you want an FRF2 then get one, just remember that it will be very much of its era and if you want to sell it - it’s quite a niche market.

I would think $5k puts you in the market for a second hand Accuracy International. That’s where I’d put my money on a bolt gun.

If you're buying an old gun, buy the best old gun you can. You're not going to enjoy getting it and then having busted or missing parts. Pony up the extra money for the grade A.

And this is coming from an SVD guy who got one of the first run HD-18s to go along with my KBI and Tigr-to-SVDS converted rifle. I jones for an FR-F2 and I don't know why :)

If you want an FRF2 then get one, just remember that it will be very much of its era and if you want to sell it - it’s quite a niche market.

I would think $5k puts you in the market for a second hand Accuracy International. That’s where I’d put my money on a bolt gun.
I mean... yeah... but... is it as cool as a french gun that has a history to it? That's the real question. If I wanted an AI I would've just bought one outright already.
If you're buying an old gun, buy the best old gun you can. You're not going to enjoy getting it and then having busted or missing parts. Pony up the extra money for the grade A.

And this is coming from an SVD guy who got one of the first run HD-18s to go along with my KBI and Tigr-to-SVDS converted rifle. I jones for an FR-F2 and I don't know why :)
A fellow person who enjoys esoteric firearms lol. I got a very close line to the HD-18s, and I decided to back away for an FR-F2, but, seeing as I can't even get a response from Scrome... I don't know if it's genuinely worthwhile lol. Plus... I've yet to hear anyone really go in-depth on the wear of these guns. Plus if a part breaks... out of luck, huh?

Eventually, my gut is going to tell me that they're both not worth it. The whole goal of getting one or the other was to hunt and advertise and that sort of thing. If you got any suggestions let me know.

I mean... yeah... but... is it as cool as a french gun that has a history to it? That's the real question. If I wanted an AI I would've just bought one outright already.

A fellow person who enjoys esoteric firearms lol. I got a very close line to the HD-18s, and I decided to back away for an FR-F2, but, seeing as I can't even get a response from Scrome... I don't know if it's genuinely worthwhile lol. Plus... I've yet to hear anyone really go in-depth on the wear of these guns. Plus if a part breaks... out of luck, huh?

Eventually, my gut is going to tell me that they're both not worth it. The whole goal of getting one or the other was to hunt and advertise and that sort of thing. If you got any suggestions let me know.
You could join 9-hole reviews patreon and ask Henry. I greatly enjoyed his vids on the FRF1 &2. I think the bipod setup looks very useful.

I bought an AIAX instead, which, if you mount a bipod waaaay back near the scope and squint at it in dim light, it sorta looks sorta like an FRF2? lol

I’d say an original L96 is, though I doubt you’ll find one that isn’t eye wateringly expensive.

The only things I’ll consider cooler than an AI is a PSG-1 or a .500 double rifle. Good luck anyway, if you buy one don’t forget to post pictures.

You could join 9-hole reviews patreon and ask Henry. I greatly enjoyed his vids on the FRF1 &2. I think the bipod setup looks very useful.

I bought an AIAX instead, which, if you mount a bipod waaaay back near the scope and squint at it in dim light, it sorta looks sorta like an FRF2? lol
I dig the gun just because it's cool. I'd literally take the thing hunting this year (if I am drawn, fingers crossed lol). And I don't know, it seems like a lot of "hey this is just a modern bolt gun" with an AIAX, where is the history with it? I buy esoteric... and "dated" stuff for fun.

I’d say an original L96 is, though I doubt you’ll find one that isn’t eye wateringly expensive.

The only things I’ll consider cooler than an AI is a PSG-1 or a .500 double rifle. Good luck anyway, if you buy one don’t forget to post pictures.
I mean if you got a line on an L96 let me know. I will definitely pretend I am Black Ops all over again. Also, PSG-1s... I mean I know where a few are, I just don't want to deal with importing and paying 20k+ before import costs.

I dig the gun just because it's cool. I'd literally take the thing hunting this year (if I am drawn, fingers crossed lol). And I don't know, it seems like a lot of "hey this is just a modern bolt gun" with an AIAX, where is the history with it? I buy esoteric... and "dated" stuff for fun.
Totally get it. I love that FRF2. You will hear no criticism from my corner.

I don’t know squat about vintage riffles, much less a Frenchie, so that really waved me off. But that bolt throw and bipod and angled handgrip and heat shrouded barrel…ooo la la! I’m sure it would be a good hunter.

An AIAX, on the other hand, eh, would sort of suck for hunting. Unless you are static (and didn’t hike too far in to get there) I don’t see an AI fitting the bill unless you are a hard, hard man. Mountain hunting with an AI, oooffffff.

I’m not sure why most sniper-y rifles don’t give a crap about weight? I guess I’m thinking more about SVD or FRF2 type DMR (?) rifles, if I’m using that term right. I suppose an AI is more of a pure sniper rifle. The weight does help me shoot better.

Reactions: Modoc
Totally get it. I love that FRF2. You will hear no criticism from my corner.

I don’t know squat about vintage riffles, much less a Frenchie, so that really waved me off. But that bolt throw and bipod and angled handgrip and heat shrouded barrel…ooo la la! I’m sure it would be a good hunter.

An AIAX, on the other hand, eh, would sort of suck for hunting. Unless you are static (and didn’t hike too far in to get there) I don’t see an AI fitting the bill unless you are a hard, hard man. Mountain hunting with an AI, oooffffff.

I’m not sure why most sniper-y rifles don’t give a crap about weight? I guess I’m thinking more about SVD or FRF2 type DMR (?) rifles, if I’m using that term right. I suppose an AI is more of a pure sniper rifle. The weight does help me shoot better.
I only know the limited information I've read on the gun. I just think it's cool. It has a history and has (probably) shot someone in its history. However, I'd rock an AI hunting lol. Part of the fun is to use the gun, right? Might as well make it work in environments that are not expected lol.

I just... don't like the current AI offerings lol. They look nice but it feels so... not traditional to me?

If I wanted to I can get the SVD, try and get a SAG SVD Chassis for it, have it be free-float and do 1 moa on 7n1. The chassis alone weighs as much as a stock SVD with a side rail. But... then I'm like 10k in and that's M110 (or even... I don't know... 10 guns?) money to me. It becomes impractical sooner or later. FRF2 was just cause it's cool and I dig the look.

Plus, I'm selling my FAL to fund projects currently lol. I mean if you got any cool ideas let me know.

Reactions: carbonbased
I purchased my FRF2 directly from EuroOptic. They cross list the rifles on their website and on Gunbroker by serial number). I selected the one that was in a condition I could appreciate, along with the wooden stock "grain" that appealed to my eye.

I took mine completely apart and found that it was in excellent condition for a "surplus" rifle. See the pics in the FRF2 tread here in the Hide. I borescoped the barrel with my hawkeye borescope, and it looks excellent to superb. Additionally, it had all of the proper spares (the wood stock spacers were unused, and labelled with the rifles serial number). The Navy Arms mount had a picatinny rail made for the rifles, which is a bonus, but I'm waiting for my proper J8 and mount from Scrome before shooting the rifle.

Like most things, you have to prioritize. Can always make more money, but "they" are not making any more FRF2s, land or time...

So, buy once, cry once.

Carpe Diem!

longebow

Reactions: camocorvette
i have a love-hate relationship with older mil stuff

if its a rack grade M1, enfield etc i expect it to shoot like a battle rifle

when i buy something that is supposed to be accurate and its not even close to modern standards, it languishes in the back of the safe

there is a pretty long thread on here about the FR, i think it was Buffalowinter

I purchased my FRF2 directly from EuroOptic. They cross list the rifles on their website and on Gunbroker by serial number). I selected the one that was in a condition I could appreciate, along with the wooden stock "grain" that appealed to my eye.

I took mine completely apart and found that it was in excellent condition for a "surplus" rifle. See the pics in the FRF2 tread here in the Hide. I borescoped the barrel with my hawkeye borescope, and it looks excellent to superb. Additionally, it had all of the proper spares (the wood stock spacers were unused, and labelled with the rifles serial number). The Navy Arms mount had a picatinny rail made for the rifles, which is a bonus, but I'm waiting for my proper J8 and mount from Scrome before shooting the rifle.

Like most things, you have to prioritize. Can always make more money, but "they" are not making any more FRF2s, land or time...

So, buy once, cry once.

Carpe Diem!

longebow
This is quite literally my view. Buy it once, cry once. Realize in probably X amount of years it'll inflate in value purely due to rarity and etcetera. However, at the same time, I can get a lot of other things I really like for the same money. That's my position. Technically I can get a "B grade" and one of the HD-18s right now. But I'd really rather not drop an entire mortgage on two guns lol.

Glad to hear that yours runs well. Have there been no issues? Or any concerns with the rifle at all?

i have a love-hate relationship with older mil stuff

if its a rack grade M1, enfield etc i expect it to shoot like a battle rifle

when i buy something that is supposed to be accurate and its not even close to modern standards, it languishes in the back of the safe

there is a pretty long thread on here about the FR, i think it was Buffalowinter

I studied history, so it is kind of my thing. And I just like preserving and using them. I'm not a big fan of safe queens unless it's something I can't repair or it ruins the story behind it. I have an M91 that's "repairable," but not without heavy modifications and swapping stocks and such. If I wanted to reach peak performance I'd spend 4-6k on an SR-25 and just get bored lol. There is something to me about pushing something to its limits, and seeing if I can get better as a shooter at the same time.

I believe I've grazed the thread as well a few times. Thanks!

Reactions: brianf