• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Controlled Feed (TL3) and loading a round when the mag is empty

usmcmad

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2017
I am sure there is a common term for this but couldn't think of it. Is it possible to load chamber a round when your magazine is empty and you put a round on top of the magazine and close the bolt? I do it with my push feed rifle. I can't seem to do it with a TL3. At least without some wiggling. Should I just give up on this method?

You don’t mention caliber. I have TL-3s chambered in 6mm, 6.5 and 7mm and can single feed any of them without problems. It’s my understanding that the .223s must be mag fed.

6.5. When I try it, the round doesn't get picked up and is just forward and stops. If I depress the back end a little and push forward I can get it to go. I can't do that when I behind the gun.

I shoot 6.5x47 Lapua and .223 AI in a TL3 and can single feed either.

I have to be doing something wrong, just can't figure it out. I do all the time in another rifle that is push feed.

I single load in my TL3 (6.5x47) all the time. I just toss it in there like I would with a Remington.

I single load my TL3 with 6.5 creed all the time as well. It should be noted that the crf feature will not work when just "thrown" on top of the empty mag. It will effectively just work as a push feed when you do this. Are you saying that the action hangs up part way of going into battery?

I took another go at this and see what is happening. If I put the round on in my normal way, putting on the magazine and sliding back towards the bolt. The round moves forward off the magazine lips and tips down ever so slightly. Then it bangs right into the chamber and stops. If I can get just a hair of pressure on the back end of the round it works fine.

My TL3 will single feed fine with my match calibers. For 223 I can't single feed unless i guide the round into the chamber by hand. If I just throw it loose and close the bolt the nose of the case hits the breech face of the barrel rather than the chamber.

What you're describing is the same issue. It's not anything to do with CRF vs Push feed, it's just the geometry of your case/bullet plus the magazine causes the point of the bullet to hit the flat end of the barrel rather than going into the chamber.

Might be due to the height the magazine sits at or the angle of approach against the feed ramp of the action. You can experiment to see where the nose of the bullet is going (too high vs too low vs left/right) and see if any change in technique can get it to feed. If it's hitting too high you might try closing the bolt more slowly, or if it's hitting too low you could try placing the case all the way back and then closing the bolt more quickly so that it jumps up the feed ramp and into the chamber. Just some ideas to try out to see if you can get it to run.

Reactions: usmcmad
If you want to single feed them id suggest get a bob sled single feed mag..round above the mag lip putting them higher than your chamber..

Reactions: usmcmad
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to guide it in and that seemed to work. Takes more finesse than what I was used to. I'll give it go and work on some technique first.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to guide it in and that seemed to work. Takes more finesse than what I was used to. I'll give it go and work on some technique first.

If you have shorter feed lips, then the round might not nosedive. When the rear is still on top the feed lips, then the bullet is gonna point down.

I wonder what mags everyone is using. ARC mags have shorter feed lips.

I just bought an ARC mag and will give that a go tomorrow. I was able to get it to work by moving the round in front of the lips. A change to technique and it does take a little bit more finesse.