• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Conundrum Picking It A New Spotting Scope

Johnny Lately

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
SA, TX
I've got it narrowed down to a Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 or a Razor 11-33x50. What I don't know is if the better glass of the Razor makes up for the lack of magnification compared to Viper HD. My main use is spotting hits at 500 on steel, although I may use it for farther distances.

Thanks

I can pick out hits on steel with my 10x binos at least out to 720 with the .223, and past 900 with a .257 or .308 round easily. Just have to make sure you have fresh paint. A .257 SMK makes a big splash on steel out past 800 yds that is easily viewable. At 500 yds the splash is as big as my fist.

Without a doubt, go with the Viper HD. The 11-33 Razor is nice if you're hiking 10 miles with it, but it's far from ideal for range work. It's small, when you go down in size you give up stuff like exit pupil, eye relief, ease of use, etc.

I've owned them all and for that price range and the use you're intending the Viper HD wins hands down between those two.

Jason

Dang it, Jason! You've thrown a real wrench into my plans. I ordered the Razor after all, but I guess I can take it out to the range and test it out. I can always return it and get the Viper if the Razor doesn't work.

Without a doubt, go with the Viper HD. The 11-33 Razor is nice if you're hiking 10 miles with it, but it's far from ideal for range work. It's small, when you go down in size you give up stuff like exit pupil, eye relief, ease of use, etc.

I've owned them all and for that price range and the use you're intending the Viper HD wins hands down between those two.

Jason

do you feel the same rationale holds true when comparing the viper HD vs razor HD binos? I should state that this would be for glassing game off a tripod and freehand.