• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Convert Cosine to Degree

Rhongman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
SoCal
Can someone give me instructions on how to simply convert the cosine numbers on my ACI to degree angle? Just want to be able to do it.
Thanks

Re: Convert Cosine to Degree

useless info, laser range to target x cosine = corrected range

understood......

That is why I am asking why?

Lindy also had a good comment some time ago on the math behind this. There is the quick and dirty cosine x distance. there is also another more accurate formula.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angle Cosine Indicator on the scope base works because it gives both...uh oh, wait for it....
Angle AND Cosine

Sniper Tools original one has both then others hijacked and started making them with other options on the wheels </div></div>

Switchy........uuuummmmmmm......actualy.......no

http://www.snipertools.com/aci.htm

the ACI has done the math for you. The ADI gives you the angle from a 0 degree datum

Before the days of HH calculators, we used trig tables for conversion.

If you want a table, one can probably download off the internet, or make one in Excel using formulas. Since I had an inclinometer calibrated in degrees, made a table calculating for corrected distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cosine X dope </div></div>

+1 this is more accurate than cosine x range

Here is degrees to corresponding cosine value:
degrees/cosine
05 — .99
10 — .98
20 — .94
30 — .87
40 — .77
50 — .64
60 — .50
70 — .34
80 — .17
90 — .00

Thanks to all who responded. I don't really NEED to know how to convert this, just wanted to know for the sake of knowing.

ggmanning: thanks for the conversion chart. I'm gonna save that. Sure it will come in handy someday.