• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converted ACH too high cut ballistic.

Terra Firma Ghilles

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
It is possible but a slight pain in the ass, I came across some ACH's at a very reasonable price and decided to cut them down to a high-cut ballistic. It's time consuming properly cutting the helmet then cleaning the edges and epoxy sealing, also ran across some Oregon pads and suspension systems cheap. I made the helmet cover and installed rails, yeah I can go buy one but that's no fun I'm a cheap bastard and prefer DIY projects.
KIMG0086.JPG
KIMG0085.JPG
KIMG0090.JPG
KIMG0088.JPG

pretty neat!! what did you use to cut and epoxy the edge with? didn't it have like a rubber/plastic edge trim ? did you use regular ACH rails ?

I used a fine jigsaw blade to cut and a grinder to round off the edges. Then a 2 part epoxy to seal it, I did remove the rubber trim and replaced it with the same type trim that's used on Bell motorcycle helmets. The rail is a MSA I believe, as much heat treatment and glue is used on the Kevlar there's no compromise to the Integrity of the helmet that I can tell by cutting it. Stories that I've heard from some of the manufacturers they were cutting ACH's to meet the demand of Special Operations before they started making molds of the high-cut ballistics.

Did you eyeball the dimensions or did you have a template to base the cuts off of? I recently picked up a ACH and would like to go to the high cut design

Sadly this guy hasn’t been around since the end of June 2018 so getting answers or a ‘how to’ unfortunately probably won’t be happening.

Too bad, I have a ACH my buddies SWAT team dumped them and went with something newer. I'd like to do something like that , but I'd probably screw it up

I considered asking for a more detailed how to when I found this because I have one just sitting around and then saw he’s been gone for awhile. A shame too because that could have been a good write up.

That Juki tho....

I have a DNU-1541s that I make shooting slings on. Absolutely LOVE mine. Looking at a needle feed machine next for finer/slipperier material.