• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing converting 30.06 into 300 win mag?

mattwin7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
kcmo
I know its poosible to convert an 06 to a 308 but what about an 06 to a 300wm? the gun is a rem 700. could you just get a new barrel? what would need to be in order for this to work?

Re: converting 30.06 into 300 win mag?

Unless you have a lot of mods in the gun and want to keep it, it is easier to sell it and buy a new rifle. You need to modify the bolt face, new extractor, rechamber, probably magazine, follower and feeding issues AND if you ever want to sell it.... well it'll be a rechambered 06' with all the questions that will bring.

If what you seek is 300 mag performance, you can do it with a simple rechambering to 30 Hawk

See: http://www.z-hat.com/Hawk%20Ballistics.htm

I know Fred well and in fact published and sell his book on Wildcats. Top notch workmanship and ethics. You will be pleased.

wildcats.jpg

I have converted a VZ24 from 8x57mm to 300 Win Mag.

For the longer and wider cartridge I have to:
Lengthen the magazine box
Cut the feed ramp
Cut the feed lips
open the bolt face
Modify the extractor

And as always:
Cut threads on barrel
Cut chamber
Cut shoulder, tenon, and inner C ring relief.
Bend and weld the bolt handle
Drill and tap for scope mounts
glass bed and pillar bed the stock
Add sling studs
Add limbsaver recoil pad

I thought I had it feeding perfectly, even upside down.
But I practiced with 220 gr Round nose hand loaded dummy rounds.
When I hunted with Barnes triple shock pointed tip bullets, they did not feed.
I had to change the mag well to receiver fit.
Now it feeds pointed ammo, even upside down.

What does it all mean?
It can be done, but not a good starter project.

You might want to look at the 3200 Hawk the next time you get an 8x57 Mauser to sporterize..... 175 gr @3030 fps.

Take a 30-06 to a 300 win mag is not much problem. Advertise you want a magnum bolt on here or a few other sites. I picked one up for a 120 bucks. Take your rifle to a good gunsmith, have him blueprint the action, ream the barrel to a 300 WIN, and all the few others things and your set. I'm saying this because I have done it before with a .270 Win to 300 Win and wasn't any problem. If you have any questions PM me and I would be glad to help....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a 30-06 to a 300 win mag is not much problem. Advertise you want a magnum bolt on here or a few other sites. I picked one up for a 120 bucks. Take your rifle to a good gunsmith, have him blueprint the action, ream the barrel to a 300 WIN, and all the few others things and your set. I'm saying this because I have done it before with a <span style="font-weight: bold">.270 Win to 300 Win and wasn't any problem.</span> If you have any questions PM me and I would be glad to help.... </div></div>

Mate, I'm sure you changed the barrel out on that conversion, right???
eek.gif

To the OP: yes it can be done but as some others have pointed out, why bother unless it's part of a bigger plan like new barrel, blueprint etc. Again, Coyote, not being a dick but if you are going to do a full blue print job, why wouldn't you put a nice new, quality barrel instead of a standard factory Rem barrel?? Buy a new bolt for $120? My local smith took my '06 bolt & opened it up to accept .338 LM & fitted a Sako extractor for a lot less than that. Guess I have a decent smith??

Only you can make the decision to convert or not, but it is most certainly possible.

The reason for getting a different bolt for me was to have both a standard bolt face and a magnum bolt face so I could do a switch barrel gun in the future. As for replacing the factory barrel, that would depend on his budget. My gunny would charge about 80 bucks to ream 30-06 to 300 win and it would cost much more for a new barrel and all it entails.....

I am confused. Why would anyone want to go to all this trouble and expense for a marginal difference in performance? Have you even looked at the 300 Hawk ballistics? Switch barrels, new bolts and BTW most magazines that work 100% with belted cases wont with an 06' and vice versa.
By the time you get done you could buy a pristine used 300 RUM and have a REAL difference in performance. And you wouldn't be pissing away all that $ you will never recover if you ever want to unload this beast.
Good Luck!

I think I would just buy a new gun and have another rifle

Makes perfect sense to me. My bud bought a Wally World LH Savage package in 300 winmag. He put on a decent scope and it will cloverleaf three 168 TSXs with max loads of H4831SC and has killed 4 Antelope and 2 Mulies... one shot DOA!

A Hawk outperforms an AI and properly headstamped factory brass is available.

What the heck you talking about? A Turdy odd six can't shoot even close to a 300 Win. Thats like comparing a 22 long rifle to a 22-250 or 220 Swift. Both are 22's but a lots of difference. I will post some pics of my most recent monster build from a .270 Win to a 300 Win.. I got everthing together today and took it out for a test run. It will feed flawless. (Remember this is the same action as a turdy odd six). Can wait to get a AICS or BO bottom for drop mags. If you don't believe me on the action get a hold of DANS40X and he will set the records straight on the actions Remington uses. There are only two actual actions that Remmy uses. Just slight variations are made to accomodate all calibers.

I'm not sure I could agree that a 30-06 vs. a 300 Winnie is like a 22LR vs. 22-250

Maybe 22-250 vs. 22-284

To make that comparison valid the larger 300 class would have to be throwing tips at 9-10,000 fps.

Have nice Like New LA BDL Magnum bolt, and a couple of Rem 700 300win barrels, if you want to trade your .472 long action bolt in a deal.