• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Converting a G27 to G26 successful???

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
Has anyone slapped a 9mm (G26) barrel into a G27 and had good success rate? I know people have done this a lot on the larger framed models, I just have not seen it on the
Compacts.

Thanks
Brandon

Re: Converting a G27 to G26 successful???

40 and 357 Auto have a different breech face than 9mm, so No a factory Glock 9mm barrel will not work, get a aftermarket conversion barrel from KKM.

I went with Lone Wolf,no issues at all. Also used them for a 35 to 34 caliber change. Like 2 pistols for the price of one.

35ivxpy.jpg

What do you consider a good success rate? If you look at the afermarket barrels, the bore of the 9mm is slightly offset from the actual barrel centerline. I imagine they did this for a reason and it's not that the guy was drinking on the job.

A Glock 9mm barrel will work in a 357/40 Glock IN A PINCH, but it is not ideal. The outer diameter of the 9 barrels are smaller than 357/40 barrels, plus, there is a relief of material on the top front of the 357/40 barrels the 9 barrels are lacking, so the slide tends to want to "hang up" at the slides most rearward position during cycling.

conversion barrels are a better solution, though my lonewolf barrels all have tight chambers, and more support than OEM barrels. I've found them to be less reliable than OEM. Fine for practice, bad for carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tactic-als</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you consider a good success rate? If you look at the afermarket barrels, the bore of the 9mm is slightly offset from the actual barrel centerline. I imagine they did this for a reason and it's not that the guy was drinking on the job. </div></div>
I understand it will work. I just wasn't sure how often it works. I agree entirely about using it as a carry weapon is not ideal. I was just thinking it would be nice to run a suppressor with in 9mm.
Is there a difference in conversion barrels vs. factory barrels?
Thanks
Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tactic-als said:
Thanks
Brandon

</div></div>

of course there are. one being the OD of the barrel to fit the .40 slide better. chamber might be .001 or so further back too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tactic-als said:
Thanks
Brandon
</div></div>

maybe a minor difference in chamber and barrel tolerances, lockup.

If you're looking for a drop-in barrel I wouldn't expect a great fit. Since they're manufactured to work without being specifically fit to your gun, lockup could suffer. Another thing I've seen is bulged cases in some drip-in's...

If you do go with an aftermarket barrel, get one that is gunsmith fit and have it done right.

Lockup on my LW barrels is good.

I have six of them, a 40-9 for my 23, one for my 21, a 45-10 for my 21, another 45-10 for my 30, one for my 20, and one for my 29.

All provide acceptable accuracy - certainly "combat" accuracy, but most don't provide "bullseye" accuracy.

The common theme with them, however, is the tight chamber. It's as if they're reamed to SAAMI minimum or something. For full-power (and then some) 10mm loads, that is nice, but for most pistol shooting, it is a hindrance. Fail to feeds is relatively common.

Conversion barrel, what, $125? Glockmeister sells the uppers and lowers, Glock factory, either complete or stripped, and the complete G26 upper is $340. So for $215 more you can have a real factory G26 with no problems or caveats. You can carry this. These things were made to be carried. You'll need some 9mm mags to be complete, but then you'd be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conversion barrel, what, $125? Glockmeister sells the uppers and lowers, Glock factory, either complete or stripped, and the complete G26 upper is $340. So for $215 more you can have a real factory G26 with no problems or caveats. You can carry this. These things were made to be carried. You'll need some 9mm mags to be complete, but then you'd be good to go.

</div></div>

Then 3 9mm mags for another 90 and you're at $430, by that logic you may as well buy a used G26 w/mags for similar money or spend a little more and get a new one.

I see conversion barrels as range toys for cheaper shooting, less recoil, threaded if you want to shoot w/ a suppressor etc. If you want to carry a 9mm instead of a 40 then buy one or trade the G27 in. Just my opinion.