• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting a Remington 700P to a box magazine

str8razor

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2011
New Orleans, La. area
I just installed a Jewell trigger in my Remington 700P with a hinged floor plate magazine and I'm about to rebarrel it. When I changed the trigger, it looked like it wouldn't take much to convert the rifle to accept a box (clip) magazine.

Does anyone know what it would take to do so? If it's easily done, what parts would I need to order and from where?

Thanks,

Re: Converting a Remington 700P to a box magazine

Order a badger m-5 bottom metal, inlet the action for it and you're done! About an hours worth of work if you know what you're doing

Wyatts are "supposed to be" drop in, their magazine leave a little to be desired though.

Here is why Badger and CDI get recommended: Both of these business support Snipershide. They pay their dues and advertise here. That and they are all made to tighter tolerances and accept AI magazines (and their copies). AI mags are also very tight in tolerances so you can buy one now or in two years and they will be close to exact.

Wyatts does not support the hide, their magazines are proprietary, and their fit (magazine to bottom metal) has a wide tolerance from sloppy to "german-virgin" (good-n-tight).

Les Baer uses Wyatts, but I don't believe Les Baer is a hide supporter either.

Just make sure the bottom metal is GOOD OL USA MADE.

+1 for the M5. Very happy w/ mine and the decision to use them rather than one of the "other options"

+1 on Ogreshooter's comments and I will add that there was a CDI Group Buy going on a while back. It is over with now but I am sure that CDI or Badger will have another one in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IkeEng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> +1 on Ogreshooter's comments and I will add that there was a CDI Group Buy going on a while back. It is over with now but I am sure that CDI or Badger will have another one in the near future.

</div></div>

There is one going on now - 1/3/12 thru 1/10/12

I guess my only concern is ..... why don't they make them so you don't have to inlet for them??? Just about every thread I read, someone has to inlet for them regardless of what type of stock they have. Why not just make the bottom metal to fit??

I have a 700P and am pleased with the CDI upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess my only concern is ..... why don't they make them so you don't have to inlet for them??? Just about every thread I read, someone has to inlet for them regardless of what type of stock they have. Why not just make the bottom metal to fit?? </div></div>
Takes a little bit more room for good versus so-so. Call CDI, you won't regret it

CDI Precision is going a group buy for DBM right now. Jeff can inlet your stock to accept the DBM and even do the entire install. He is super cool and the quality is top notch. I did this for my Rem 700 and love it. The group buy price that's going on right now is a bargain ... get on it while you have the chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whoshotya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 700P and am pleased with the CDI upgrade. </div></div>

+1 Jeff does great work and the price is extremely reasonable.