• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting a shooter

bjay

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2009
Aloha state HI
So i put together couple vudoo22 for practice and someday teach kiddos...as a beginners rig.
My 8 yrs old girl finally showing interest after let her fired few rounds..im a right hand shooter and right eye dominant..shes a lefty and looks like left eye dominant from observations...since she's just starting, should i keep teaching her shoot as righty and maybe can convert her to be rightly or get a lefty 22 for her?

If she's left eye and hand dominant have her shoot that way. I would say have her shoot your v22 for now and if she picks it up and gets really into it then be the dad of the year and get her a lefty v22.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: bjay
If she's left eye and hand dominant have her shoot that way. I would say have her shoot your v22 for now and if she picks it up and gets really into it then be the dad of the year and get her a lefty v22.
I guess tym to sell for stuff here..and get 1700 for another barrel action..
Fuk! I jus realized i also dont use lefty stock or chassis! Dang et

Reactions: DAMNKID
Anschutz offset sight adapter

MEC offset adapter

Attachments

• 1560983186981.png
    1560983186981.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 7
Wouldn't using an offset adapter require you to worry about the offset to the left when zeroing for different distances, or make you hold over that much?

I'm left eye dominant, but right handed. I'm just curious about this.

I guess tym to sell for stuff here..and get 1700 for another barrel action..
Fuk! I jus realized i also dont use lefty stock or chassis! Dang et
I am a Lefty and my kids are a combo of both... Welcome to the cursed world of left handedness. Unless you yourself are prepared to say eat with your left hand or write with it then don't make your child do something unnatural.

Go buy her some left handed scissors also.

The struggle is real.

I am a Lefty and my kids are a combo of both... Welcome to the cursed world of left handedness. Unless you yourself are prepared to say eat with your left hand or write with it then don't make your child do something unnatural.

Go buy her some left handed scissors also.

The struggle is real.
Or be a libtards and tell her guns are dangerous and it kills people. Stick to playing with barbies :)

I do hear that Tikka is releasing the t1x in Lefty that should work until she grows into a v22

I'd have her try shooting righty.... maybe she's actually really ambi. Don't force... just test and see.

The shooting world is definitely stacked against lefties.

I actually agree with G-Man here. I’ve had to train the shit out of it, but I believe it’s important to be able to shoot with either eye, and either hand, and different fingers on the hands.

Obviously find what’s ideal for her, but that’s the age I started seriously shooting LR, and I started where most kids do, a rimfire. My folks weren’t nearly as cool with it as you, so already doing a great job man, keep it up!

I'd have her try shooting righty.... maybe she's actually really ambi. Don't force... just test and see.

The shooting world is definitely stacked against lefties.
You should try writing Lefty.

There are lots of left handed options out there, dont cheap out on your kid and force something that isn't natural. I am also a golfer and at one point in my life it was my income. Thank God my father didn't just push right handed clubs on me so he could have some coin or have clubs he could use also.

Just buy a cheaper gun that's left handed it doesn't have to be a v22. Honestly if someone told me I could shoot a right handed v22 or. Lefty cz I would take the cz all day everyday.

People complain about getting comfortable behind a stock yet expect a novice to do it backwards???

You should try writing Lefty.

People complain about getting comfortable behind a stock yet expect a novice to do it backwards???

At 52, it would be darned hard for me. At 8 years old, its much easier for her.

I got 40 + years of shooting righty. She has 0 years. She has no "backwards." She has no "normal."

"Novice" is EXACTLY the time to train. Trying to "train out" what ppl been doing for years is really hard. I know. I've tried it as a state certified CWP instructor.

And I said just try it. I specifically said "DO NOT force it."

Last edited:
Go pick up some scissors and try to use them left handed, its a simple thing you just have to squeeze them.... you feel like a full on retard I'm sure because its not natural and not to mention they dont fit in your left hand. Neither will that rifle. The brain doesnt quite work like that... She's left handed it will never be natural even if she has some degree of ambidexterity (which I am ambidextrous and can and do shoot both but God damned its awkward).

You want her to be comfortable, if you have the $2k plus for a V22 for yourself dont be a bitch and not spend $400 on a lefty cz or tikka when they release for the kid if she wants to shoot.

Go pick up some scissors and try to use them left handed, its a simple thing you just have to squeeze them.... you feel like a full on retard

Comparing an untrained 8 y.o. to a 40-50 y.o. is totally illegitimate.

And your use of "retard' is demeaning and beneath dignity.

Trying to make someone left handed do something right handed is demeaning and beneath dignity.
Lol.... I have to wonder why people are suggesting for someone who is left eye and hand dominant to change. I get that she's young and can learn but this is time to instill proper fundamentals and technique to a new shooter. Why make it harder than it needs to be

Last edited:
Lol.... I have to wonder why people are suggesting for someone who is left eye and hand dominant to change. I get that she's young and can learn but this is time to instill proper fundamentals to a new shooter. Why make it harder than it needs to be
Cuz at this age And her level of 0 experience you cannot possibly know whether she will shoot the same way she does other tasks.

A good trainer would introduce her to both, test both out and then see what her true dominance is as a shooter.

Hint: it's not always the same as for other tasks... throwing a baseball or using a pair of scissors.

The goal is not to "change" her… it's to allow her the opportunity to demonstrate which orientation is her true dominance when shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAMNKID and bjay
Trying to make someone left handed do something right handed is demeaning and beneath dignity.

No, its is not. Assuming she MUST be lefty is bad training and not respectful to the shooter.

But stupid me… here I am trying to inform someone who uses the word "retard" about what it is to show other humans respect.

When we were kids all my father had was right handed rifles. My brother was a lefty and learned to shoot righty from the beginning and still does today. My nephew is a lefty and learned to shoot righty for the same reasons and still does today. I had a serious eye problem and had to shoot lefty for a year and a half. It was a struggle at first but doable, the fundamentals are the same. I'm sure if I had learned lefty from the beginning it would'nt be a problem. In fact it felt a little strange when I got my eye fixed and switched back to righty. I have 3 kids and 8 grand kids and 2 rifles set up for learning. A short stocked ruger 10-22 and a Remington 700 in 6x45 with an adjustable stock. All of the kids have started on these 2 rifles with exception of the youngest grandchild { he's only 3 }. You can learn the basics and do quite well either way. Shooting a rifle doesn't require fine motor skills on the same level as throwing a baseball or playing golf. And it's an easy transition to dominant side if you want to later.

Reactions: bjay and garandman
I should be more clear. I would positively identify her dominance, and go with that.

I believe as she progresses, it’s important to ADD the ability to shoot with the other side, etc.

I do not believe in forcing things, especially while learning. You wouldn’t expect someone to learn to TIG weld Inconel before they knew how to strike an arc, or MIG weld. I view it as the same, fundamentals must be established, using the dominant eye as the deciding factor. Cross dominance is a whole nother animal, my wife is cross dominant. Strongly left eye dominant, does everything right handed but shoot.

If I’ve explained myself poorly, my apologies. It’s been a long week.

Cuz at this age And her level of 0 experience you cannot possibly know whether she will shoot the same way she does other tasks.

A good trainer would introduce her to both, test both out and then see what her true dominance is as a shooter.

Hint: it's not always the same as for other tasks... throwing a baseball or using a pair of scissors.

The goal is not to "change" her… it's to allow her the opportunity to demonstrate which orientation is her true dominance when shooting.
I understand and agree with you to let her try and shoot right handed to see which orientation is her true dominance and your not saying to “change”her. I was just under the impression that she is left hand and eye dominant from what bjay said and that he only has right handed rifles so the question was have her change the way she shoots or get her a left hand rifle. I understand that if that’s all you got and there are no other options you can learn on that platform but why when there are left hand rifles. Also shooting left handed on a right hand rifle isn’t that awkward unless it has a right hand palm swell and the stock has a cast off that is not adjustable.

The girl is 8. She's been writing for several years. If she's left handed, she's left handed. There is a super simple test for eye dominance.

Put your hands together, overlapping such that you create a small aperture with the webbing of both hands. Hold your hands out at arms length. Focus on a distant object through this aperture. Now, without changing focus or losing the object in your vision, move your hands to your face. The aperture will track to your dominant eye.

If she is left eye dominant, get her a left handed gun, or at minumum, teach her to shoot the right handed gun left handed- working the bolt with her right hand and keeping her firing hand in position. I am told that many lefties prefer this to a traditional left handed rifle. I have on occasion, being a righty, thought it may be advantageous to have a left handed rifle.

Eye dominance is based on relative eye strength. Everyone has a strong and weak eye- that's why we have eye dominance; it's the eye we use most. Regardless of handedness, teach her to shoot based on her eye dominance.

If she is left eye dominant and prefers to shoot a left handed gun, sell the vudoo and buy her a left handed gun. Or sell her and buy a right handed daughter...

Oh, and anyone that says you can switch eye dominance because she is young isn't worth listening to.

Here’s my .02 worth. EYE DOMINANCE is important. If you try and train her to shoot off her non-dominate eye she may not be getting the best sight picture she could. Shooting iron sight rifles and especially shooting shotgun (if high school trap or small bore may be in her future) her best eyesight is needed. If handguns could be in her future, using the dominate eye gives her the best chance to being less stressed and theoretically better shot.