• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting McMillan Stock From Left to Right Handed

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
I know this was asked years ago, but does anyone know who can professionally convert a left handed McMillan stock with molded-in gel coat finish to right handed use? I just got an older left handed A3 stock in molded-in woodland camo that I would love to convert and use as a vintage build.

I’m guessing the work involved would be to clean and prep the existing left side ejection port and bolt handle cuts, fill them in with fiberglass cloth and resin using metal pins for added structure and support, cutting out the same on the right side, and re-finishing all areas with a gel coat patch kit.

Any leads on who can do this work would be greatly appreciated. McMillan won’t do this as they don’t fill in any cuts in the action area since there’s a chance any repairs there will fail under recoil. Thanks!

Last edited:
This might seem obvious but you didn’t mention it, did you call McMillan and see if they could do this for you?
Whoops, yes, I have checked with McMillan and they won’t do this type of work. Edited my original post with that info.

I agree, they did some fairly extensive surgery on a stock for me. Something else to consider though is would you be better off just selling it & buying a right handed one? I'd imagine you're going to have quite a bit of money wrapped up in this thing. Sometimes it's not about the money though... Good luck.

Reactions: kft101
Also reach out to @jducos regarding stock work...

I would second selling and buying in R hand.

And there was a thread about a guy doing a job like this at home, but he wasnt worried about the mold-in colors.

Thanks for the recommendations about trading or selling the LH stock I have for a RH one, but the stock is an earlier A3 from an agency or department turn-in, so I’d like to keep it due to the history it has. Just want to be able to use it now, as I’m not a devil child, lol.

13807BF1-0B76-498E-A685-FDB41372701B.jpeg

I will give you $6 plus shipping for that old spray painted junker for you to put towards your new stock!!! ;)

Good looking piece and cool history is hard to beat.

Since I was mentioned:

The work is pretty straight forward and I can easily change the "gender" of this thing. What happens though is a stock that looks like total crap unless you are up for having it refinished (painted). This is essentially no different than hanging a new door on a car. As a few have stated, the costs involved approach what it would take to just replace the thing and get it right from the start.

Happy to help, but you'll have to game that out first.

C.