• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cool burning powders

Ranger188

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
Haven't been able to find a thing about this.
Were can I find some info, actual data on, which powders burn "cooler" than others?
Per grain of heat out put.
Have a 22 creed barrel coming in and I have a couple powders I'd like to try
and if it comes down to it, I'd like to run the one that will extend my barrel life if all else is equal.

That’s not at all what he’s talking about.

OP

Thank you. Wish it had all and was more updated.
But their are some powders on there that I plan on testing.
Their is no rhyme or reason to it.
You would think the IMR4831 would be close to the H4831
The RL's are spread out and the VV double based all run hotter than the single based.

Maybe someone with quick load could find what table that is in the programs workings and make us an updated one

Again. Not what is being discussed.
Again - I am just trying to help. It is difficult to ascertain the exact kindling temperature smokeless powder. Probably why a chart doesn’t exist as I am sure this is not the first query of its kind. Instead of you pointing out deficiencies in what I am offering why don’t you come up with some suggestions?

Temperature ≠ Burn rate

That’s about as basic as it can get.

That chart was created from a table in quickload I believe.

That’s kind of a cool chart. I’d like to see RL16’s temp. And I wouldn’t have guessed H4895 would be that high up on burn temp.

Temperature ≠ Burn rate

That’s about as basic as it can get.

That chart was created from a table in quickload I believe.
I did not see that till now. I wonder if that chart includes pressure across the board for all temps. Wish we could find the creator of it.

I don’t think temperatures have a direct correlation to pressure.
Burn rate would correlate to pressures but the temperature that burn rate occurs at is irrelevant to a point I believe. Burn creates the propellant, how hot that propellant is doesn’t factor into that equation.

Reactions: jd5521
That’s kind of a cool chart. I’d like to see RL16’s temp. And I wouldn’t have guessed H4895 would be that high up on burn temp.
I would guess that RL16 is near the top of the list in terms of heat. No other powder I've tried seems to heat up my barrel so fast.

I wish all companies would list their powders energy output like Vihtavuori
Go on there website and they are all listed.
Most companies don't I'm guessing cause it may sway your purchase to a "cooler"
burning powder. What you don't know can't hurt you. Marketing

I know that Power Pro 2000 runs pretty cool. Dont know it’ll it will work in 22cm
I just recently discovered 2000MR and think it is a hidden gem. Using a ton of it with my .308 gas gun with good ES and great velocities. I can actually reuse my brass now with decent velocity and zero pressure signs whereas before I had to run with anemic 2450 fps velocities.

Above being true, and I have no reason to be otherwise, why does H4350 seem to wear barrel out quickly? Perhaps because of the small bore size (used in lots of 6mm), or because it so popular? Don’t know … heard 4831 would make them last longer, but that seems counter the chart. ????