• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cooling my barrel down.

gabriellapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2009
wenatchee wa.
After bore sighting the rifle I went out to the ranch to put it on paper.
Being 75 degrees out I could get about 5 shots before the barrel heated up and was to hit to shoot.
Being in a hurry I thought , what if I used the trucks A/C to help cook the barrel.
So I pulled the bolt and magazine out of my Tikka T3 hunter in 6.5X55 and proceeded to place the muzzle into the dash forward facing vent and close all the others.
With the A/C unit on high the barrel cooled down to acceptable temps for shooting in about 2min.
I proceeded to do this about four times and I needed up saving allot of time “letting my barrel cool down”
It worked so well I thought I’d share.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 2135F39B-5F76-49D0-9F75-639721AA715D.jpeg
    2135F39B-5F76-49D0-9F75-639721AA715D.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 85
I have several Frog toggs chilly pads and they work great for cooling a hot barrel and are awsome to have while doing anything outdoors when it's hot.

I bought a chamber chiller, I throw it in every three or four shots for a couple minutes and it really does seem to help and keep the temps moderated. If I’m quick putting it in right after a shot you can really tell just how much air it’s moving as all that steamy smoke rushes out of the silencer. I wasn’t expecting the world when I bought it as a beta but I have to say, I’m reasonably impressed with this low tech gadget. It won’t drop it below ambient temps though so mid day Texas summer the damp towel and ac are obviously superior options.

Reactions: Holliday
well you shouldnt expect to do big strings with a hunting rifle.

Frank has mentioned more than once that in his classes, especially in alaska, the hunting rifles only get 3 shots before a pause

I bought a chamber chiller, I throw it in every three or four shots for a couple minutes and it really does seem to help and keep the temps moderated. If I’m quick putting it in right after a shot you can really tell just how much air it’s moving as all that steamy smoke rushes out of the silencer. I wasn’t expecting the world when I bought it as a beta but I have to say, I’m reasonably impressed with this low tech gadget. It won’t drop it below ambient temps though so mid day Texas summer the damp towel and ac are obviously superior options.

I need to pick up one of the chamber chillers and test it out. It looks like it puts out a lot more air than the barrel coolers.

I got one of the first barrel cooler fans right before they were in production a few years back. I thought it was great.. especially in the summer months shooting suppressed. It's also funny when you guys with the electronic muffs ask "is someone running a fan?!"

With a stainless barrel there is a noticeable difference using the cooler vs letting it cool down with ambient only. At least in my personal experience. I let the fan run longer than 3 minutes so maybe that's why I can feel the difference from the outside by touching it ahead of the chamber.

I use a barrel cooler and swear by it. One must remember that empirical data gained from testing is only as good as the protocols used. Then there are the variables not accounted for.

I find the biggest benefit on hot sunny days when the air is still and the ground itself is hot and I’m putting a lot of rounds down range. Also the air here in this semi-arid high altitude environment is very dry and much thinner which slows the natural convection cooling process. So a mechanical device seems to mitigate to some degree.

If I need to cool a barrel or suppressor down quickly I bring some of gel ice packs and lay them over my barrel and can. Takes the heat away very quick.

Max, I have no idea. I've never used a CF barrel, and I'm not qualified to make an educated opinion. I was just merely pointing out that the barrel tested is stainless, not CF like was implied by a few posts.

Last edited:
Max, I have no idea. I've never used a CF barrel, and I'm not qualified to make an educated opinion. I was just merely pointing out that the barrel tested is stainless, not CF like was implied by a few posts.

Well that certainly is an important variable to consider without a doubt.

Carbon steel moves heat much better than does chrome moly which is, in turn, better than stainless. Stainless clings to its heat stubbornly and needs all the help it can get. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-exchanger-material-thermal-conductivities-d_1488.html Metallurgists, please chime in.
Oh, right. Carbon fiber. That's much better at moving heat around but epoxy, not so much. https://www.christinedemerchant.com/carbon_characteristics_heat_conductivity.html
Awesome, I’ll look this over. I can envision a senerio where the carbon finer stayed hotter longer but actually drawing heat from the core quicker. So if someone just tested by measuring outside temps, they would miss that. I’m not saying that is the case but without measuring actual bore temperatures things like that could be missed......