• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cop Tasers 9 year old? WTF?

Re: Cop Tasers 9 year old? WTF?

jkbptt.jpg

The tricky part is not spooking them ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jared — listed on the report as between 5-foot-5 and 5-foot-8 inches tall and between 200 and 250 pounds </div></div>

That's one big fucking 9 year old...

Sounds as though protocol was followed and he was warned. I see no issue in this case as the manchild was too big to manhandle.

Basically, this was a lose/lose for the officier that had to respond to this farce.

Cartmann got shocked.

Another case of crappy parenting leading to police getting taken to task. If Jareds mom and dad had done their job he'd have been in school already and the police could be out tasering real criminals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds as though protocol was followed and he was warned. I see no issue in this case as the manchild was too big to manhandle.

Basically, this was a lose/lose for the officier that had to respond to this farce.

Cartmann got shocked. </div></div>he is 'nine" years old,the cop should be imprisoned -when did torture become acceptable with a nine year old child

Glad they didn't have tasers when I was a kid, I was the king of truancy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds as though protocol was followed and he was warned. I see no issue in this case as the manchild was too big to manhandle. </div></div>

Protocol?

We are talking about a MINOR.

Tasering a 9yr old is NEVER justified unless the officer's life was in jeopardy.

This cop can't even handle a belligerent kid, how do you think he'll cope with a REAL criminal?

The guy should never been given a gun and badge to begin with, his actions are not defensible.

So the guy should have resorted to strikes to control the kid? Or perhaps wait for sufficient cover and forcefully take the kid down where injury could occur? A taser ride is nothing more than the muscles constricting. Looks like he chose the best path. Either path taken is a no win in the public eye.

I'm kinda torn here... I've dealt w/ juveniles before that were big, strong, and voilent... at that point I say taze 'em, spray 'em, etc...

but in this case, from the information we have, I can't see myself ever tazing, striking, using OC, or anything like that for truancy.

not to mention that the quotes from the officer's report said that the kid was PASSIVELY resisting, when the officer tried to pull him off the couch he fall to the floor and became dead weight, laid on his hands to avoid being cuffed... he was NOT, apparently, striking the officer or threatening him in any way...

the officer used a tazer to gain pain compliance, not as a defensive tool

all to "arrest" a 9yo for truancy.... WTF?, over

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the guy should have resorted to strikes to control the kid? Or perhaps wait for sufficient cover and forcefully take the kid down where injury could occur? A taser ride is nothing more than the muscles constricting. Looks like he chose the best path. Either path taken is a no win in the public eye. </div></div>

Law Enforcement is not empowered to mete out punishment.

Carry on with the rationalizations, you've obviously no idea why MINORS are given special protections under the law.

These tasers and the people who wield them are getting out of control. If you can't control a situation with a 9yr old, no matter how big s/he is without a taser than you shouldn't have one or be in a position where you might need one.

This is just like the case a few months ago where some cop tasered a pregnant woman because she wouldn't get out of the car during a speeding ticket.

Should have arrested the parents for failur to controll child.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the guy should have resorted to strikes to control the kid? Or perhaps wait for sufficient cover and forcefully take the kid down where injury could occur? A taser ride is nothing more than the muscles constricting. Looks like he chose the best path. Either path taken is a no win in the public eye. </div></div>

Law Enforcement is not empowered to mete out punishment.

Carry on with the rationalizations, you've obviously no idea why MINORS are given special protections under the law. </div></div>

I didn't read the story in the above link, but another that didn't have as much detail into the incident so I will cede to your statement. I was under the impression the child used an act of aggression to resist.

Bad part is Guy, and I'll be objective since I may just have a little experience in the field. Had the officer forcefully picked up the juvenile and accidentally hurt him in the process then the same scrutiny would have prevailed.

Whenever we were faced with a "juve" in this particular manner we always called in a "juve" officer to assist. Believe it or not some of the well trained Juve officers even the women were tougher than we were.

In my time we didn't use tasers so I'm certainly not an expert nor am I familiar with present taser training. However I can assure you we were always quite careful when dealing with a "passive" resisting juvenile. However, rolling him over handcuffing him and calling for assistance to lug a 250lb monster to the unit might have been a better option!!! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds as though protocol was followed and he was warned. I see no issue in this case as the manchild was too big to manhandle. </div></div>

Protocol?

We are talking about a MINOR.

Tasering a 9yr old is NEVER justified unless the officer's life was in jeopardy.

This cop can't even handle a belligerent kid, how do you think he'll cope with a REAL criminal?

The guy should never been given a gun and badge to begin with, his actions are not defensible. </div></div>

You obviously have no experience with having to use force let alone being a police officer. What you're saying is, when someone pulls a gun, knife, or other lethal weapon on me (aka, my life is in jeapordy), I should respond with a Taser?

This is why the new's is always full of crap. It's always some reporter talking about a situation that they have absolutely no knowledge of, and what kind of response is necessary or justified.

I have no knowledge of the situation with the 9 year old and I'm going entirely on your comment of how people should protect their life and the lives of others with a one shot electrical device. Wow.

I won't say whether the officer was right or wrong in what he did. However, per our policy he wasn't out of line. His options were (1)OC to the face, (2)touch taze, (3)Baton techniques: not to be confused with baton strikes. Calling for backup wasn't an option, after reading the story I gather this is a really small town enviroment and he didn't have any. I think #3 above would have been a way better option in this instance. There are plenty of baton techniques to control passive aggressive subjects. To make this clear, laying on your hands and not obeying lawful commands is "passive aggressive". The real problem here is a small town without proper staffing/training. Having said that the officer responded as best HE could and was trained. Would I have responded differently??? Yes, but I wasn't there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't say whether the officer was right or wrong in what he did. However, per our policy he wasn't out of line. His options were (1)OC to the face, (2)touch taze, (3)Baton techniques: not to be confused with baton strikes. Calling for backup wasn't an option, after reading the story I gather this is a really small town enviroment and he didn't have any. I think #3 above would have been a way better option in this instance. There are plenty of baton techniques to control passive aggressive subjects. To make this clear, laying on your hands and not obeying lawful commands is "passive aggressive". The real problem here is a small town without proper staffing/training. Having said that the officer responded as best HE could and was trained. Would I have responded differently??? Yes, but I wasn't there. </div></div>

Tasering a 9yr old kid, who posed NO threat to the officer is beyond surreal.

Minors have special protections for a reason, it's embarrassing that so many don't recognize this concept.

Have we honestly reached the point where minors aren't treated differently than adults?

Parents fear the law when it comes time to spank a child, but the law can use a taser on your child.

Anyone who does not see a problem with this is insane.

What would happen if a parent used a taser on a child who flopped down on the floor and would not get up?

Could this incident have been handled differently? ABSOLUTELY! First and foremost starting with the parent(s), his teachers, social workers so on and so forth.

Plenty of people failed at their jobs before the officer failed at his. Regardless of that fact it is always the cop that gets vilified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jared — listed on the report as between 5-foot-5 and 5-foot-8 inches tall and between 200 and 250 pounds </div></div>

That's one big fucking 9 year old... </div></div>

No kidding! My 8 1/2 year old is 58lbs. He's healthy, active and roughly the same sizeas the other kids in his class. I cant imagine him being that big at his age.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could this incident have been handled differently? ABSOLUTELY! First and foremost starting with the parent(s), his teachers, social workers so on and so forth.

Plenty of people failed at their jobs before the officer failed at his. Regardless of that fact it is always the cop that gets vilified. </div></div>

The cop is being "vilified" because he is the only one who tased the kid. Had it been the parent, his teachers, social workers and so forth doing the tasing, they would be getting "villified".

16j51di.jpg

Go ahead. <span style="font-style: italic">You</span> tell him that there aren't any more Happy Meals left.

WTF are they arresting kids for truancy for anyway? The parents are the ones that should have been hauled in for letting the kid be so damned fat and out of school that much (they obviously knew, he WAS at home).

I feel bad for the officer, called in to deal with 9 years of people fucking up on the raising of a kid and he has to "fix" it in one day. It was a no win for him.... right or wrong. And I am one that thinks that cops are over stepping their bounds way to much these days....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF are they arresting kids for truancy for anyway? </div></div>

Just an FYI the officer may have reponded to the call in reference to a truancy but Ohio law has a statute of an unruly child.
2151.022 Unruly child defined.

As used in this chapter, “unruly child” includes any of the following:

(A) Any child who does not submit to the reasonable control of the child’s parents, teachers, guardian, or custodian, by reason of being wayward or habitually disobedient;

(B) Any child who is an habitual truant from school and who previously has not been adjudicated an unruly child for being an habitual truant;

(C) Any child who behaves in a manner as to injure or endanger the child’s own health or morals or the health or morals of others;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF are they arresting kids for truancy for anyway? </div></div>

Just an FYI the officer may have reponded to the call in reference to a truancy but Ohio law has a statute of an unruly child.
2151.022 Unruly child defined.

As used in this chapter, “unruly child” includes any of the following:

(A) Any child who does not submit to the reasonable control of the child’s parents, teachers, guardian, or custodian, by reason of being wayward or habitually disobedient;

(B) Any child who is an habitual truant from school and who previously has not been adjudicated an unruly child for being an habitual truant;

(C) Any child who behaves in a manner as to injure or endanger the child’s own health or morals or the health or morals of others;
</div></div>

jesus, looks like fascism is in FULL swing there in OHIO.
I though cali was bad...
imo, that cop should be strung up naked from a flag pole and caned.
Fit the punishment to the crime.
Truancy....really?
Thats not a waste of tax money.
The teachers are already way overpaid, now we have to spend money on LE to chase around kids to be indoctrinated by liberal teachers, which teach them BS liberal views.
Both are union entities that waste ridiculous amounts of money on issues like this to begin with.
I call Conspiracy.
If this is the new normal, I dont wanna be a part of it.
Wheres my cave?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Truancy....really? why the fuck do cops get involved in something so utterly ridiculous.
What, is the kid gonna miss coloring class, hes freakin 9. </div></div>

Ask the legislators that write the law. Last I checked Officers in OH are sworn to uphold the law. And just for reference my comment is addressing the state code, not the circumstances of the Mount Sterling case.

You're already in your cave...and don't know it. It's called California.

Spend a few months as a LEO..see what 9 year olds, and younger, and older...pull out of their pockets...or the shit that comes out of their mouths...and less than lethal force (authorized by laws...that were passed by those you put in office) becomes a BETTER option. Yup, I remember when I only had a side arm...then a side arm and a baton. Oh ya, the baton...that's what he would have chosen if the price was right. Sorry...sounds like this community has some "regathering" to do with its PD but I bet the officer is backed by many...including his department...and presses on with the mission.

This has nothing to do with this kid... But I know for a fact that around here, many criminals are getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th leases on life because of tasers. 20 years ago, there would have been many more criminals fatally shot. Now it's a revolving door of taser rides for many of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh ya, the baton...that's what he would have chosen if the price was right. Sorry...sounds like this community has some "regathering" to do with its PD but I bet the officer is backed by many...including his department...and presses on with the mission. </div></div>

They can press on with their mission while looking for other work.

Let them circle the wagons all they want, the entire police force was disbanded.

"In the meantime, the entire part-time police force remains disbanded and the Madison County sheriff’s office will patrol the village. There was no discussion of hiring a new chief or bringing back officers, and last week’s incident is being reviewed by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're already in your cave...and don't know it. It's called California.

Spend a few months as a LEO..see what 9 year olds, and younger, and older...pull out of their pockets...or the shit that comes out of their mouths...and less than lethal force (authorized by laws...that were passed by those you put in office) becomes a BETTER option. Yup, I remember when I only had a side arm...then a side arm and a baton. Oh ya, the baton...that's what he would have chosen if the price was right. Sorry...sounds like this community has some "regathering" to do with its PD but I bet the officer is backed by many...including his department...and presses on with the mission.</div></div>

Didnt read the article, don't really care. Its going to be the same thread that always comes up. Cop does this=All cops are power hungry oppressive pigs= we are going to a police state= the argument. Too much ignorance is introduced into these threads. They serve no purpose than to see the anti-LE crowd duke it out with the LEOs here.

The last thing I will ever do is ask the ignorant to do my job and see what its like. We have enough problems without them fucking it up and making things worse. I don't tell my mechanic what to fix on my car, or mey dentist what to do when I have a tooth-ache, but I get no hesitation from people with zero LE experience telling me how they THINK I should do my job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We have enough problems without them fucking it up and making things worse.</div></div>

Your peers are more than able to accomplish that on their own, with no assistance from the "ignorant."

Thanks for taking the time to read the article.

Here's some more for your review, fresh this week.

One national story, and one from my hometown paper.

Who watches the watchers?

Tioga Jail Beating by the "2010 New York State Corrections Officer of Year"

Leading Candidate for Most Crooked Cop in America

What ever happened to the rule about the next guy who posts shit about cops and gets people arguing get the ban hammer?

Beat me to it stan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you post another "cop overstepping his bounds" post on here, I am banning you for 10 days.

We all get it, every once and a while some officer is having a bad day and goes off, a person video tapes it and puts it on youtube for everyone to see.

if you post it here, so everyone can tell they favorite cop bashing story, I am banning, you. End of Discussion, and consider this a warning to everyone. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We have enough problems without them fucking it up and making things worse.</div></div>

Your peers are more than able to accomplish that on their own, with no assistance from the "ignorant."

Thanks for taking the time to read the article.

Here's some more for your review, fresh this week.

One national story, and one from my hometown paper.

Who watches the watchers?

Tioga Jail Beating by the "2010 New York State Corrections Officer of Year"

Leading Candidate for Most Crooked Cop in America

</div></div>

Your gonna have to come up with a new and better approach than that. Dont think anyone needs a crystal ball or Ms. Cleo to predict a slurry of "Oh yeah, and guess what this cop did in this article, and this article." Cops screwing up sells papers, not the ones who catch criminals, or do good for their community. But as long as the news is printing crap that people want to hear, to feed a biased outlook, there is an abundance of people who will hump the shit out of it like its a bitch in heat.
I can only assume the article is like what it says, and those that are experienced in doing the job are able to see mitigating factors. Whether those factors justify the whole event, or specific incidents fall under my previous statement where I could care less. I am not posting to comment on the article. I am just calling out the validity of and the bullshit of this thread and all the responses in general.
Your absolutely right, the problems that exist, like this one, and a plethora of others, are caused by the cops. No one denies that police don't over-step, I will call it when I see it. That is just a more detailed explination of my statment, I am glad you were able to clarify it. Now let me make it even clearer for you. You think there are problems now? You think that cops do bad shit as it is? Give some of the ignorant know-it-alls out there a badge and I am sure you will see what fucking up is all about. Abuse of power? The people that scream opression are most likely the first to abuse power when given enough of it. This thread did nothing for awareness, and all it is, "Look what this fucking cop did" thread. You want awareness, watch the news, you want to stir shit up somewhere where you are safe and you know cops are reading, post it here. Mission accomplished.

Kid throws tantrum. Kid gets tased. Let the cops see the parents tase their own kid. Jail time baby. This shit is stupid and happens more and more every day. Wake up. If parents still could punish their kids appropriately as they see fit within reason this would happen only with disturbed individuals. Parents now can't legally punish the way our parents did and wouldn't if they could anyway. It's okay to kill a child in a womb says the liberal but I'll be damned if you go about tearing that ass up for being a dodo brained punk kid. Go to jail you child beater. LOL The cop did everything he was trained to do. No fault of his. Police Depts have terrible funding and many can't get training for their officers. Our city has their own juvi unit for things like this. Tact with a child is often a way to get them to comply with your demands/commands on their own accord without even knowing it. A 9yo hardly has the mental capacity of an adult. This officer was put in a bad way. The parent and lack of parenting are the most likely culprits. The child might have some mental problems. Either way, a good stiff boot to the ass would get him into gear and it's not the cops job to do that. I would bet the officer would have much rather turned around and found a hole to crawl into than tase a kid. MHO

5 foot 5 to 5foot 8? Laying on his hands to prevent restraints being applied? Pain compliance was completely and totally appropriate.

Based on the report, the TASER was used in drive stun, with no probe deployment. Strictly a pain compliance event.

Minors are not exempt from force ooption being used on them. Age, size and behavior are all taken into account. This was a big kid and the officer used a minimal amount of force to gain compliance. His age means squat.

Yep, what was that 9 year old mind thinking?
Should have just shot him. Why was he not complying with the officers orders? He should not have wasted their time telling his mom he would go to school. Sounds like a case for deadly force if I ever heard one.Go Big Blue!

Sounds to me like the mother, no mention of a father, was trying to use the police as a parenting tool, but got more than she bargined for. A no win situation for the officer.

I've got a feeling that this is not the last time this kid will have a run in with the law.

On a daily basis, we are called out to parent people's children. As LEOs, we have to pick and choose our battles. I don't know THEIR department policy, but OUR department policy would justify the use of a taser in that situation. That being said, you don't HAVE to have a kid ride the lightning. I would have called for another officer and dealt with it that way. No sense in throwing out my back wrestling some fat assed kid off the ground. I'm too lazy to look for the post that suggested the officer should be hanged from a tree and caned because the "punishment fits the crime" but i hardly see that as equal. The taser isn't that painful and is the safest tool I carry on my belt. But I still ain't tasing a kid for not liking school.

Very disturbing,both sides of this arguement....

I did not read the article but heard some on the radio of this.
Simply too many issues to keep up with.

My instinct and experiance tells me this was wrong at so many levels.

A friend has lots of cop friends and they all say the taser is the go to solve any argument they might come in contact with. If you are geting excited trying to explain your case expect to get tased. Then the lying charges come into play.

Whatever happend to the days where you got hit across the head with a 4 cell mag light. That Shit put you in your place real fast, that stupid little basterd should have been in school he asked for it got it case closed

Just think of the possibilities, the cops, feds or teachers union can just get the drone from the other thread here and arm it with a long distance taser. They could make any truant 'Ride the Lightning' whilst he/she is off playing hooky, smoking weed or screwing in the bushes.
Problem solved.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What you're saying is, when someone pulls a gun, knife, or other lethal weapon on me (aka, my life is in jeapordy), I should respond with a Taser?

<span style="color: #CC0000">That's is not what I've said.</span>

This is why the new's is always full of crap. It's always some reporter talking about a situation that they have absolutely no knowledge of, and what kind of response is necessary or justified.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Reporters talking about situations they have no knowledge of you say? </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have no knowledge of the situation </span>with the 9 year old and I'm going entirely on your comment of how people should protect their life and the lives of others with a one shot electrical device. Wow.

<span style="color: #CC0000">IRONY ALERT!!!</span>
</div></div>