• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Copper deposit

rseverson

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2009
Ok so I'm still learning the basics of being a good rifleman and I have searched the forums for this topic and cant find exactly what im looking for. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and have noticed a lot of copper in the rifling of the barrel. I'm not sure how long its been building up, I thought I had been doing a good job of cleaning it out
smirk.gif
I am wondering A) How bad is this for my rifles accuracy B) Is there anyway to remove it if its REALLLY caked on and hoppes #9 isnt removing it. C) Do I need a new barrel? *Sigh* Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Copper deposit

Sweets 7.62 will get it out, if you realy want it out.
So will 50 bmg. Put either one on a patch or two and run it through the barrel, let it soak for 2-3 minutes then go at it with a plastic or bronze brush. NOT STAINLESS!!!!!
If one trip doesn't attain the desired affct, reapply
wink.gif

Is there a down side to not removing it? Will it greatly affect accuracy? And thanks for the recommendation on 7.62 I'm sure Ill give it a shot.

After doing a WHOLE bunch of reading this is what I came up with and just ordered from Midway.

Here are the item ID numbers, price and descriptions if your interested:

ItemID Qty Price Description
-------- ---- ------- -----------------------------------
381808 1 $11.99 Butch's Bore Shine Bore Cleaning... (For Carbon)

144092 1 $9.99 KG KG-12 Big Bore Cleaning Solve... (For Copper)

137203 1 $6.99 Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil and B... (Finish-up Oil)

And here's a really helpful link/test one of the fellow members put up. This is page 2, but you can start from the beginning if you would like to see how others compared.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1121125&page=2

Good luck,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rseverson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so I'm still learning the basics of being a good rifleman and I have searched the forums for this topic and cant find exactly what im looking for. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and have noticed a lot of copper in the rifling of the barrel. I'm not sure how long its been building up, I thought I had been doing a good job of cleaning it out
smirk.gif
I am wondering A) How bad is this for my rifles accuracy B) Is there anyway to remove it if its REALLLY caked on and hoppes #9 isnt removing it. C) Do I need a new barrel? *Sigh* Thanks in advance for your help. </div></div>

Copper is a tough bitch; so is the carbon deposit in the front of the chamber. First, if you're not using a good bore guide, get one to keep the cleaning rod as centered as possible, and more importantly, keep all your solvents out of the action/trigger. Second, keep the muzzle lower than the action to keep fluids from running back into the action. Third, let the chemicals do the work.
Here's how I do mine, but its not the only way:

Rods: Coated, Stainless, doesn't matter, most important that it has a good bearing in the handle so the rod will spin as the brush or patch engages the rifling.

Solvents: Shooter's Choice or Montana Extreme for powder fouling, Sweet's 7.62 or another ammonia based copper remover; JB Bore paste.

After firing, run two patches of Shooters/Montana down the barrel and let is soak for 20 minutes. Follow up with a bronze brush and the same solvent for 10 to 20 strokes, and run 2 more soaked patches, let it sit for 20 minutes. Run a dry patch and look at your muzzle. If you're worried about the copper, use the ammonia copper solvent, wet patch, and let it sit 10 minutes. Run a dry patch; if there is copper, you'll see blue on the patch. Don't worry about a little copper, but you don't want a big build up. Repeat the copper solvent two or three times; if the dry patch is pretty white, you're probably good. If not, time for some JB Bore Paste. Rub this paste into a patch with your fingers, and run it almost to the muzzle, then back almost to the chamber; back and forth about 10 strokes. Run a wet patch of Shooters/Montana, let sit 20 minutes, the a dry patch and <span style="font-style: italic">quit</span>. That's a pretty intensive cleaning regimen for me; like I said on another forum, I'm convinced more barrels a ruined by cleaning rod strokes than by bullets. Finish up by cleaning the chamber with alcohol on a patch to remove any oils from the chamber. Lighly grease the bolt lugs with a tiny dab of grease, lightly oil the bolt surface, and put it away.

I've been experimenting with the new foaming solvents lately, can't say too much about them one way or the other, but don't obsess over the copper, clean smart, clean regularly, and let the chemicals to the work.

Good Luck,

Wes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rseverson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so I'm still learning the basics of being a good rifleman and I have searched the forums for this topic and cant find exactly what im looking for. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and have noticed a lot of copper in the rifling of the barrel. I'm not sure how long its been building up, I thought I had been doing a good job of cleaning it out
smirk.gif
I am wondering A) How bad is this for my rifles accuracy B) Is there anyway to remove it if its REALLLY caked on and hoppes #9 isnt removing it. C) Do I need a new barrel? *Sigh* Thanks in advance for your help. </div></div>

Copper is a tough bitch; so is the carbon deposit in the front of the chamber. First, if you're not using a good bore guide, get one to keep the cleaning rod as centered as possible, and more importantly, keep all your solvents out of the action/trigger. Second, keep the muzzle lower than the action to keep fluids from running back into the action. Third, let the chemicals do the work.
Here's how I do mine, but its not the only way:

Rods: Coated, Stainless, doesn't matter, most important that it has a good bearing in the handle so the rod will spin as the brush or patch engages the rifling.

Solvents: Shooter's Choice or Montana Extreme for powder fouling, Sweet's 7.62 or another ammonia based copper remover; JB Bore paste.

After firing, run two patches of Shooters/Montana down the barrel and let is soak for 20 minutes. Follow up with a bronze brush and the same solvent for 10 to 20 strokes, and run 2 more soaked patches, let it sit for 20 minutes. Run a dry patch and look at your muzzle. If you're worried about the copper, use the ammonia copper solvent, wet patch, and let it sit 10 minutes. Run a dry patch; if there is copper, you'll see blue on the patch. Don't worry about a little copper, but you don't want a big build up. Repeat the copper solvent two or three times; if the dry patch is pretty white, you're probably good. If not, time for some JB Bore Paste. Rub this paste into a patch with your fingers, and run it almost to the muzzle, then back almost to the chamber; back and forth about 10 strokes. Run a wet patch of Shooters/Montana, let sit 20 minutes, the a dry patch and <span style="font-style: italic">quit</span>. That's a pretty intensive cleaning regimen for me; like I said on another forum, I'm convinced more barrels a ruined by cleaning rod strokes than by bullets. Finish up by cleaning the chamber with alcohol on a patch to remove any oils from the chamber. Lighly grease the bolt lugs with a tiny dab of grease, lightly oil the bolt surface, and put it away.

I've been experimenting with the new foaming solvents lately, can't say too much about them one way or the other, but don't obsess over the copper, clean smart, clean regularly, and let the chemicals to the work.

Good Luck,

Wes

</div></div>

I just emailed this to my phone so next time when i am out i can do exactly this to my rifle.

I had good luck removing a bunch of copper with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. After 2- 15 min applications it seemed to get all of the copper out of a heavily fouled barrel. Foe me it worked better than the sweets, plus it was a lot easier.
Your milage may vary!

You would be amazed how Bore Tech Eliminator works. You can also leave it in the bore to store your firearm just dry patch before use. I use Hoppes to remove powder frist.

I like copper. My .308 didn't turn into a 7mm for lack of cleaning, so I had to build a rifle with a smaller tube in order to shoot 7mm bullets.
wink.gif

Wipe out is a great product for accomplishing your task. Like stated before, insert the tube with the bore guide inplace, spray till the foam comes out the other end. Now, put a foam earplug into the crown and one into the bore guide. Let your barrel sit overnight. Next day push a tight wet jag down the barrel. Voila-Majic! White cloth turns blue! Repeat till blue doesn't appear. Once clean Use JB Bore Paste with a tight jag followed with JB Bore Bright to polish. For general cleaning I like Shooters Choice or Montana extreme. Buy many good brushes. Have Fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a thread that you should spend some time in

Cleaning </div></div>

Quoted so that it might get alittle more attention. READ THIS FIRST.

Then as you were.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've seen rifles screwed up from over cleaning.