• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cops vz copz - only in CA...?

EventHorizon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
NC
LAPD officer awarded $260,000 over arrest by Pomona police - latimes.com

I thought it interesting how one of the abusive officers was yelling 'stop resisting' knowing he was being recorded and the victim pleaded with onlookers to record the scene.

two years to clear his name against two dishonest cops, and a deeply flawed DA process. Gives one pause. It shows the institutional nature of the rot. The whole barrel is beyond redemption.

Yeah, but officers Hamilton and Tucker went home safely and still have their jobs - that's what is important. Officer safety that is.

On the bright side, the tax payer picks up the tab.

Yeah, but officers Hamilton and Tucker went home safely and still have their jobs - that's what is important. Officer safety that is.

That is a gross misuse of the "going home safely" goal that all officers should have prior to any shift. Nowhere have I heard of any of the officers on here advocate lying, falsely arresting someone, or violating someone's rights. Absolutely no place for that.

This thread is about two seconds from becoming a train wreck.

Slow down, people?

Those that serve deserve tools, processes and public support to ensure that they get home safely everynight. They have also signed up for a job that, too often, does not offer them enough support. That being said, its not enough to cover for conduct as was described and I also object to the implied notion that there is no harm nor foul since the public is picking up the tab. That shows a complete disregard for the time/money of those the officers are sworn to support. Public servants should, at every turn, try to honor the money their constiuents provide to pay them.

Perhaps I am misreading your comments and your intent was otherwise?

There are alot of good officers out there but it only takes a few to give all of them a bad name.

The problem is "the good" officers know who the bad ones are, yet "the code" makes them say nothing about it. So if the "the code" comes before the people, whats right, or justice, are there really any good ones?

Having character or integrity is hard. That's part of our problem as a nation, few have the strength required to do the right thing.

There are alot of good officers out there but it only takes a few to give all of them a bad name.

The ratio seems to be tipping to the side of 'dirty' every day.

On a separate note, hope your feeling well, gray one.

Perhaps I am misreading your comments and your intent was otherwise?

He's attempting to stir the pot because the "going home safely" thing has caused a lot of debate around here lately to say the least. Unfortunately Mike_Honcho intentionally misused the line of thinking to justify malfeasance, which is not where any LEO on this site has applied that idea. There is no LEO on this site that would apply that to this specific case.

The problem is "the good" officers know who the bad ones are, yet "the code" makes them say nothing about it. So if the "the code" comes before the people, whats right, or justice, are there really any good ones?

Having character or integrity is hard. That's part of our problem as a nation, few have the strength required to do the right thing.

Completely ignorant statement!

Why thank you, at least I am good at something. I guess the Police never close ranks to protect their own.

It's very regional as there are parts of the country where this runs deep, there are others where if you are abusing the color of your authority or doing something on the fringe or illegal, you will be called on it and hung out to dry.

It's very regional as there are parts of the country where this runs deep, there are others where if you are abusing the color of your authority or doing something on the fringe or illegal, you will be called on it and hung out to dry.

The most honest answer on this I've read here. Thanks.

Mistakes happen and they are going to continue to happen while we have the human element in law enforcement. However, there is no place for abuse of authority in this business to include committing crimes, intentionally violating someone's rights, or dishonesty. The incident in question here was not a mistake, it was a willful act committed by officers and they should be punished for their parts in this incident, hence my issue with Mike_Honcho's statement previously trying to use the "going home safely" statement that I and other LEO's on here have echoed.

He's attempting to stir the pot because the "going home safely" thing has caused a lot of debate around here lately to say the least. Unfortunately Mike_Honcho intentionally misused the line of thinking to justify malfeasance, which is not where any LEO on this site has applied that idea. There is no LEO on this site that would apply that to this specific case.

Ah...thanks for filling in the blanks. Context is helpful

Completely ignorant statement!

17874, it looks like you have LE experience. While I dont know any LEO's in the scal area those I know in ncal I dont think would share your comment as I understand it. Can you tell me what part of FS1's comments you think are ignorant and why? Not provoking....just trying to understand.
Thx

Funny. like lawyers don't protect each other. Doctors.Politicians. Priests.Investment bankers. etc.etc.

Every group will act to protect itself from "outsiders". Only outside oversight, measures to ensure transparency and scrutiny from outsiders ensures integrity.

Right about your last sentence.Applaud the few who will stand up to fight corruption and tyranny.

Funny. like lawyers don't protect each other. Doctors.Politicians. Priests.Investment bankers. etc.etc.

Every group will act to protect itself from "outsiders". Only outside oversight, measures to ensure transparency and scrutiny from outsiders ensures integrity.

Right about your last sentence.Applaud the few who will stand up to fight corruption and tyranny.

It's an interesting list you have there. If I'm not mistaken they've ALL taken some vow or oath to observe a higher order or set of principles than their own 'gang'. So yes, I would be upset if priests 'looked out for' and covered up wrongdoings of other priests because like the others, they've CHOSEN a vocation of defined principles.

Your suggestion that oversight is needed is correct but we've seen many time that it's not welcome with the 'you're not one of us, you have no right to question'.

There is nothing wrong with questioning the actions of LE, however some of the crap that goes around here goes above and beyond questioning and heads straight into the realms of openly bashing those in LE. I am fine with LEO's sticking together, however I am not okay with them abusing the color of their authority or the public trust and will out those who do so. I know many of the guys I work with will do the same just as they have no issue with arresting an officer if they break the law. If the LE community in a particular area wishes to hide the actions of the bad, then it erodes the trust in and credibility of those who are good. My issue with this site is people make numerous blanket statements and take legitimate discussions and turn them straight into twisting statements made by myself and other LEOs on this site and turn every thread into a bash fest.

So yes, I would be upset if priests 'looked out for' and covered up wrongdoings of other priests because like the others, they've CHOSEN a vocation of defined principles.

Uh...did you think about that statement before hitting the submit button?

So yes, I would be upset if priests 'looked out for' and covered up wrongdoings of other priests because like the others, they've CHOSEN a vocation of defined principles.

Uh...did you think about that statement before hitting the submit button?

I imagine that he did.

There is nothing wrong with questioning the actions of LE, however some of the crap that goes around here goes above and beyond questioning and heads straight into the realms of openly bashing those in LE. I am fine with LEO's sticking together, however I am not okay with them abusing the color of their authority or the public trust and will out those who do so. I know many of the guys I work with will do the same just as they have no issue with arresting an officer if they break the law. If the LE community in a particular area wishes to hide the actions of the bad, then it erodes the trust in and credibility of those who are good. My issue with this site is people make numerous blanket statements and take legitimate discussions and turn them straight into twisting statements made by myself and other LEOs on this site and turn every thread into a bash fest.

I understand your frustration as on the other side, many similar instances have given rise to blanket statements being made to condone illegal police behaviour.

KyPatriot said it best in regards to the police. They are the point at which the rubber hits the road. They are the means by which the will of the elected is pushed onto the electorate. They are the final line of defense - not against us, but FOR us against those who might abuse power. As a civilian, if I had to choose, I would want an honest cop over an honest politician. So, when we see or hear accounts of bad behaviour in amongst the LE and then that behaviour is either discounted or our reactions dismissed as irrelevant, that leads down the road of blind sentiment devoid of facts because useful discussion was proven fruitless.

Respect is earned, but those in civil service have no right to demand respect out of hand by sheer dint of a uniform - that's my view anyway. I'm grateful for your posts. They're illuminating and refreshingly different.

ZM - there is only one answer and it is the one you have failed to give - it was wrong. Your rhetoric about folks here - are we talking about someone here? No. There is a fine line when there is a monopoly on something, if there are abuses, those with the monopoly need to aggressively purge those that can not be entrusted with the power. Failing to call a spade a spade walks that line - it's a mindset.

As for oversight - the matter is further obfuscated by the unions.

Mike_Honcho, you are wrong and have completely ignored everything I have said in this thread. What the officers from this particular story did was a gross abuse of their power and they should be punished. My issue with you is that you are attempting to stir the pot using a line myself and other LEOs on here have used ("Going home safely"). Again, you ignore the facts as none of use who have reiterated that statement have used it to justify an intentional abuse of authority.

I understand your frustration as on the other side, many similar instances have given rise to blanket statements being made to condone illegal police behaviour.

I cannot recall any recent threads where any LEOs have condoned any ILLEGAL behavior. There have been points made by several here to help understand how a particular situation may have unfolded or how the facts of an incident may have lead to a particular mistake having been made. However, I cannot recall any officers here condoning something that is actually illegal.

EH - point of order - LE are CIVILIANS too...

Disagree mostly. They seem to enjoy certain privileges that set them apart from ordinary folk, and due to their dealing with the worst society has to offer, seem to also be mistrustful of ordinary folk.

You can define civilian however you wish, but for a lot it isn't meaning just one of the guys.

this thread points to the blatant and pervasive lie that police officers serve the public. just because the ruling class in america's localities tax the citizenry and use that to pay the wages of their lapdog enforcers doesnt make it serving the public. they are paid to serve the interests of those feudal lords that write the checks.
the sooner the public and the leo's themselves realize this point, the smoother interactions will tend to be, since the public will realize its shakedown and peasant control that are the true duties and many officers may well opt out of the farce when their noble intentions are obviously being manipulated.
for those who will surely be less than flattered by this assessment, i challenge you to abandon denial of these observations and change it.

this thread points to the blatant and pervasive lie that police officers serve the public. just because the ruling class in america's localities tax the citizenry and use that to pay the wages of their lapdog enforcers doesnt make it serving the public. they are paid to serve the interests of those feudal lords that write the checks.
the sooner the public and the leo's themselves realize this point, the smoother interactions will tend to be, since the public will realize its shakedown and peasant control that are the true duties and many officers may well opt out of the farce when their noble intentions are obviously being manipulated.
for those who will surely be less than flattered by this assessment, i challenge you to abandon denial of these observations and change it.

Nigga pleez. You sound like a Leninist pamphleteer. Leave the evangelism of the great cause at the door.

I cannot recall any recent threads where any LEOs have condoned any ILLEGAL behavior. There have been points made by several here to help understand how a particular situation may have unfolded or how the facts of an incident may have lead to a particular mistake having been made. However, I cannot recall any officers here condoning something that is actually illegal.

A while back was the first I'd seen. Over DUI roadblocks. People pointed out their contravention of the 4th Amendment. The prevailing LEO attitude was "if you've done nothing wrong then why do you care?" It quickly devolved into "if you feel that your rights are more important than public safety then you're a Sovereign Citizen terrorist."

Since then, there have been many instances - such as the Boston bombing and other videos. The gist has been "you're not LE it's above your pay grade." Now to be fair, there have been plenty of pig this and thug that and I've played my part in those too but when I heard "if you've done nothing wrong then..." Well, how would you feel about it?

Mike_Honcho, you are wrong and have completely ignored everything I have said in this thread. What the officers from this particular story did was a gross abuse of their power and they should be punished. My issue with you is that you are attempting to stir the pot using a line myself and other LEOs on here have used ("Going home safely"). Again, you ignore the facts as none of use who have reiterated that statement have used it to justify an intentional abuse of authority.

My apologies - yes, I latched on to your first post. Yes, I acknowledge that you are stating above that this is categorically wrong.

I guess 'hung out to dry' means different things to different people. In the article above those Pomona officers grossly, and blatantly, overstepped even the generous guidelines (or SOP's) set out for LEO's to abide by. There conduct was definitely criminal. Yet, they did not admit to any wrong doing, the Pomona Police Department did not release any statement condemning the officers actions, the two officers in question are STILL LEO's in the Pomona Police Department, and the money awarded the former LAPD officer was payed by the citizens.

If anybody was 'hung out to dry' it was the LAPD officer who was subject to the abuse, given the option to resign or get fired, encouraged to plea to a crime he didn't commit in order to gain a lenient sentence, and spent two years clearing his name.

I pm'd you several weeks ago reporting a crime. The perpetrator of this crime is higher up in a State Law Enforcement Agency down in the valley. She knowingly, and willingly has used her position to deny me a constitutional right, and continues to knowingly defy the Arizona Revised Statutes. Have you even looked into it?

The abuse of authority is ALOT more widespread than you let on.

Mistakes happen and they are going to continue to happen while we have the human element in law enforcement. However, there is no place for abuse of authority in this business to include committing crimes, intentionally violating someone's rights, or dishonesty. The incident in question here was not a mistake, it was a willful act committed by officers and they should be punished for their parts in this incident, hence my issue with Mike_Honcho's statement previously trying to use the "going home safely" statement that I and other LEO's on here have echoed.

I don't expect that LEO's should be perfect. All I expect is for them to be responsible for there actions, and if a mistake is made... own up to it, and work to make it right.

On top of 'mistakes being human', humans do absolutely fucked up shit to each other!! It would be impossible for human beings to be decent to each other 100% of the time. Yes, that does mean that some LEO's will use there power to selfish ends and the detriment of the citizens. Saying it isn't so does nothing for the credibility of the LE community, and paying lip service to the ideal that LEO's are held to a higher standard without backing that up with actions is even a bigger forsaking of the public trust.

In this case, I agree with you 100%, those officers should be punished, as of yet they haven't though. Personally I've had property stolen, my name tarnished, been incarcerated under false pretenses, been the object of perjury, been denied my liberty, denied my Constitutional rights, and have had the distinct pleasure of looking down the barrels of several loaded weapons. In ALL cases, those LEO's were never punished.

I agree with you in questioning the actions of LEO's. I would go even further and say that a responsible citizen should question the actions and motivations of ALL manifestations of the government.

I also agree with you in the fact that cover-ups dissolve the public trust... even the 'good' LEO's.

I have made several statements that could be considered 'blanket statements'. I've backed up my opinions, and in my personal experiences they prove to be true.

I don't like the LE community PERIOD. The 'badge' or the LEO title gives a person greater authority or power over other citizens. Power that is NOT granted by the consent of the governed, but is allowed to exist in order for the system not to be questioned. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the LE community is given WAY too much leeway with the Law for the execution of there 'job'. Without that power LEO's would have no authority to abuse. People would be still do abhorrent things to each other, but instead of fostering a group that is prone to abusing authority in order to 'protect' the people... the citizenry would be responsible for themselves, there actions, there security, and there way of life. The Thomas Jefferson quote is my signature for a reason.

Perhaps a bigger issue than threads turning into a LEO bash fest, is the fact that mistrust, frustration towards LEO's is becoming more, and more widespread. The Declaration of Independence says, "...We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it..."

Honestly, no amount of discussion will change or alter my opinion of the LE community. I also feel like I'm just gunning it in the middle of a muddy wash trying to make my points with the LE community... I make a lot of noise, but get absolutely nowhere.

You cannot have a civilized society without Government. Just as you cannot have an effective Govt. without control and law enforcement. But for law enforcement to be effective it must have the trust and confidence of the people. In order to have that there must be integrity. When integrity and loyalty collide, the truth must always prevail.

I am not talking about cops closing ranks to protect the rookie who just punched a handcuffed punk because he mouthed off or spat on him. I am concerned when cops knowingly break the law because they put themselves above it. And then close ranks to protect those kinds of men.

That being said I would normally think “the code” would have prevented the situation highlighted in the OP. Because that code usually is recognized between different agencies or Dept’s. That makes me think that maybe either someone in this kids dept. wanted him burned, and the other dept just helped them out. Or maybe the kid was an innocent victim in a rivalry between these dept’s.

I know cops don’t have an easy job. But it’s a job they chose. Integrity is not a variable.

0933, what you alleged does not constitute a CRIME pursuant to Arizona state law. The cited ARS code outlines the duties and responsibilities for that to put in place and the maintenance of that system. I advised you that the courts would be the proper venue for you to dispute your accusations, however that has fallen on deaf ears as it is not the answer you want to hear. Fact is, because you have such a hatred for LEOs you will not be happy with anything I say to you, so be it. You have made it clear this is the case. I'm not going into this any further here as it is not pertinent to the original post and am only mentioning it as you called me out on it.

You cannot have a civilized society without Government. Just as you cannot have an effective Govt. without control and law enforcement. But for law enforcement to be effective it must have the trust and confidence of the people. In order to have that there must be integrity. When integrity and loyalty collide, the truth must always prevail.

I am not talking about cops closing ranks to protect the rookie who just punched a handcuffed punk because he mouthed off or spat on him. I am concerned when cops knowingly break the law because they put themselves above it. And then close ranks to protect those kinds of men.

You should be worried about a cop who punches a handcuffed prisoner because he mouthed off or spit on him, there's no place in law enforcement for those types just as much as there is no place for those who knowingly commit crimes believing they are above the law. Traffic violations and stuff on duty? Yeah, I don't give a crap about as long as what is being done is reasonable and prudent as there is no way to effectively perform your job without having to break certain traffic laws. Criminal stuff is a whole different story and that is why departments have IA to investigate allegations of abuse, etc.

I think many people would be surprised how many good LEOs are out there, unfortunately the bad stories are the only ones that grab attention and I do not believe they tell the entire tale of the current culture in LE. Fact is, a lot of that good old boy system has been eroding and has been going away around most places in the country as departments aim to project a higher degree of professionalism.

0933, what you alleged does not constitute a CRIME pursuant to Arizona state law. The cited ARS code outlines the duties and responsibilities for that to put in place and the maintenance of that system. I advised you that the courts would be the proper venue for you to dispute your accusations, however that has fallen on deaf ears as it is not the answer you want to hear. Fact is, because you have such a hatred for LEOs you will not be happy with anything I say to you, so be it. You have made it clear this is the case. I'm not going into this any further here as it is not pertinent to the original post and am only mentioning it as you called me out on it.

Why waste your breath dude? Let him keep on getting Tased and pummeled on the street. The guy seems to have a very poor attitude to life in general.

I think many people would be surprised how many good LEOs are out there, unfortunately the bad stories are the only ones that grab attention and I do not believe they tell the entire tale of the current culture in LE.

Like most groups, 90 percent of the problems are caused by 10 percent of the people.

Public_Police_Assholes.png

'nuff said. Pretty much applies to everything.

You should be worried about a cop who punches a handcuffed prisoner because he mouthed off or spit on him, there's no place in law enforcement for those types just as much as there is no place for those who knowingly commit crimes believing they are above the law. Traffic violations and stuff on duty? Yeah, I don't give a crap about as long as what is being done is reasonable and prudent as there is no way to effectively perform your job without having to break certain traffic laws. Criminal stuff is a whole different story and that is why departments have IA to investigate allegations of abuse, etc.

I think many people would be surprised how many good LEOs are out there, unfortunately the bad stories are the only ones that grab attention and I do not believe they tell the entire tale of the current culture in LE. Fact is, a lot of that good old boy system has been eroding and has been going away around most places in the country as departments aim to project a higher degree of professionalism.

I was not promoting police violence. My point was that a young rookie cop making a mistake and being protected is not the same thing as cops knowingly breaking the law. If a kid makes a mistake and is corrected properly then covered for is not an example of abusive LE. Cops setting someone up with false evidence and lies because "they know he is guilty" is an example of abusive LE.

I hope you're right that the ol boy attitude is going away, but I don't see it. It seems to be getting worse to me. Like I said cops have a tough job, they are always the bad guy to someone. Psychologically it wears hard on them. It is real easy I would imagine to step over the line. But they always must remember the oath they swear is to us, not each other.

A society without LEO's would not even be close to being free. It would be, He with the most guns or lowest moral character wins. I'll just stick with yes sir, no sir and if there is a problem, that what lawyers are for.

I'm not advocating for anarchy. I'm merely pointing out that LE is given way to much leeway... The system has 'interpreted' and sidestepped the Constitution on multiple levels, and even though every LEO swears an oath to 'uphold, support, and defend the Constitution of the United States (and that of the State they reside in)' there actions are often counter to those. It's the right of the people to alter, or abolish the goverment when it becomes destructive to the rights of it's citizens.

I know cops don’t have an easy job. But it’s a job they chose. Integrity is not a variable.

It iIS a job that they chose... and are given way to much benefit of the doubt. Being a LEO is a privilege, and not a right... If one can't hack it and respect the rights of the citizens, then he/she has no place in the LE community and definitely shouldn't exercise that authority.

You are correct in that A.R.S. 13-3112 does not contain provisions for criminal proceedings when a government entity does not follow the duties and responsibilities outlined. Not following the A.R.S. is still wrong though, and could very well be chargeable under criminal negligence. Criminal negligence is conduct which is such a departure from what would be that of an ordinary prudent or careful person in the same circumstance as to be incompatible with a proper regard for human life or an indifference to consequences. Criminal negligence is negligence that is aggravated, culpable or gross.

I have no less than 4 court orders that are relevant... please tell me how many more are needed? One more? 6 maybe? Or maybe I need 8 court orders to accomplish what is right?

I have no doubt that you won't pursue it... because that's what LEO's do, they DON'T hold each other accountable.

Why waste your breath dude? Let him keep on getting Tased and pummeled on the street. The guy seems to have a very poor attitude to life in general.

I continue to be amazed that the only thing you've gleaned from my experience is that I was tazed and beaten.

It's a free country, and you're entitled to your opinion... but in reality, the fact that I don't worship the ground you (and other LEO's) walk on is just testament to the fact that I don't share the bloated veiw of yourself that is floating around inside your narcissistic head.

A society without LEO's would not even be close to being free. It would be, He with the most guns or lowest moral character wins. I'll just stick with yes sir, no sir and if there is a problem, that what lawyers are for.

suck down that koolaid if ya like, but i see no reason a free society cant conduct its affairs free of both slavery/law enforcement officers as well as rampant unchecked criminals. the solution is of course well armed free good men taking care of their own without interference from ruling class appointed wardens to "protect and serve" us into oblivion.
real crime, (not just offenses against profit margins of uber wealthy that make up many of our laws) could be a very dangerous proposition for the bad guys if the current status quo of call "the cops" and quake in fear mentality was replaced with a public resolve to "police" their own. then maybe we'd all wise up and arrest the real criminals: bankers, lawyers, stock brokers, doctors, judges,and insurance brokers, etc.

marduk

if you feel that LEO are a mechanism of slavery then you're looking at things from a very skewed perspective to say the least. This idea that being armed means there's some automatic level of societal balance and good behaviour is naive at best. Mises was clever, but he never lived in Somalia.... How is your CCW going to stand up to 10 armed thugs? It won't. I would not want to live in a society where being armed was the only means of preservation of my day to day well being. I believe those are called war zones and if I wanted that I'd go to some shit hole called Afghanistan or Syria etc and I've neither the inclination or balls to do that.

Your perspective of the role of law enforcement is rather blinkered. The 'law' also pertains to white collar crime, negligence, corporate misdeeds (Monsanto!!) and a whole host of other grand scale crimes that the average man with a six shooter would be powerless to detect much less stop and bring redress and justice.

Are there fundamental flaws and wide open opportunities for abuse. Yes. Are there instances of whole groups of LEOs looking the other way or even complicit in crimes by giving false testimony. Yes. But to advocate that we should do away with LEO in lieu of merely being armed is not the product of reasoned thought. You may feel frustration by the postings of a few of the LEOs here, and to say that one or two are anything less than gold-standard assholes would be an understatement but I would prefer to have them in the mix than not have anything at all.

There would be less corruption and complicit support for unConstitutional laws and politicians if being LEO was truly a service rather than a pension grab. If public service meant no unions and a retirement planning like private sector workers then those who are in are truly serving rather than simply putting 'time in' and we'd be left with a higher caliber of public servant. In those situations we'd have a LEO that would be far more active in seeking to collaborate with the public rather than 'give me respect or I'll stomp on you and it'll be your fault for making me mad'...

We'll see how things go. The civil disobedience in CT and the more dynamic kind in AZ are interesting phenomena. Coupled with the open letters from various armed forces, sheriffs and police officers things are showing themselves to be not so 'fait accompli' and that is only a good thing for us all.

sorry eventhorizon, although i value your input, ill still take my ccw against 10 armed thugs (odd scenario...only one that seems likely to generate 10 armed thugs in my locale would be a no knock where the thugs are wearing badges) to protect me and mine before relying on a phone call to uniformed officers who were appointed by city council, mainly to conduct after hours business checks. basically private security detail on the taxpayer dime is what most leo amounts to, with the added bonus income generating traffic stops to shakedown the taxpayer further.

sorry eventhorizon, although i value your input, ill still take my ccw against 10 armed thugs (odd scenario...only one that seems likely to generate 10 armed thugs in my locale would be a no knock where the thugs are wearing badges) to protect me and mine before relying on a phone call to uniformed officers who were appointed by city council, mainly to conduct after hours business checks. basically private security detail on the taxpayer dime is what most leo amounts to, with the added bonus income generating traffic stops to shakedown the taxpayer further.

If all things are local and all locales are the same then perhaps. But, they're not, so what may work for you is not the same for others. When I conceived my scenario of a 10-to-1 shoot out, I had in my mind being with my boys (<5yrs both) and what I'd do. In my scenario the point wasn't 'either firefight or call the cops'. The point was, IF the existence of LEO was understood and real then you wouldn't have the gangs roaming around in the first place.

I'm not too far away from West Philly which in many regards is a toilet. Last year I chased two burglars out of my neighbours house when I saw one inside. I wasn't armed at the time but my concern was for the wife and two kids I knew who were frequently home (the kids are home schooled). In this case, there was a getaway car and when the driver saw me he honked, his partner bolted out the door and they got away briefly before the cops caught them. If these animals knew there would be no chance of someone calling the cops then their attitude could very well be different. They may have chosen to fight it out, my decision to help out may well have been different if I knew there was no chance of help coming in the form of LEO and so on. The true and only solution is for the citizens and the police to be partners and guardians of each other's welfare. However, too often we see, read and hear that that is not the case and too often policy is now entrenching and widening the chasm.