• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Copy or Original with you?

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I just wanted to ask, i assumed keep the original in a VERY safe place...but you guys just keep a copy of the tax stamp paperwork in with the can and the original in the safe correct?

Re: Copy or Origional with you?

Yes and yes
smile.gif

copy with me when I go to the ranges and orginals in the safe.

Yep, original in safe place and a copy with you. As a further step I black out any personal information so the range sweeper does not know where you live. If they hassle you, suggest "maybe we should call the ATF; The number is on the form."

print a copy in small size, laminate it and throw it in yer wallet with your Costco card

COpy, ALWAYS a copy.

Keep the original in a fireproof safe or safety deposit box or something.

I have miniature and full size copies in each gun bag, hunting license, and carrying case so that I'm not without it.

Overkill? Potentially, but I've been known to be forgetful and show up tot he range without earpro and once without ammo for a new rifle. I'll keep extra copies floating around just in case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COpy, ALWAYS a copy.

Keep the original in a fireproof safe or safety deposit box or something.

I have miniature and full size copies in each gun bag, hunting license, and carrying case so that I'm not without it.

Overkill? Potentially, but I've been known to be forgetful and show up tot he range without earpro and once without ammo for a new rifle. I'll keep extra copies floating around just in case. </div></div>

yah thats the plan. im going to get all the trust paperwork + stamp copied 1/2 size and kept in the suppressor's pocket.

for my sbr - im going to keep a small copy of the stamp in the ar grip. finaily a good use for that space in the grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">print a copy in small size, laminate it and throw it in yer wallet with your Costco card </div></div>
this is good advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

for my sbr - im going to keep a small copy of the stamp in the ar grip. finaily a good use for that space in the grip. </div></div>

That's what I do, sort of... keep a small copy in the stock compartment. I keep a copy of the can's form 4 in there too. Actually I keep a copy of the can's form 4 with each rifle I shoot it on.

The only thing my original form 4 does is get copies and put into a plastic binder sheet, then into a binder. That goes in the in floor safe.

I always carry copies

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing my original form 4 does is get copies and put into a plastic binder sheet, then into a binder. That goes in the in floor safe.

I always carry copies </div></div>
All 50?

I didn't read all the posts above but YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE THE ORIGINAL. A copy is fine in the field and if contacted by a LEO for information.

My buddy scanned his and downloaded them into his I-Phone and his trucks nav/computer for backup.
Ive been fuckin around with class III shit for over 20 yrs and have never been asked for my paperwork, as soon as I dont have it,,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing my original form 4 does is get copies and put into a plastic binder sheet, then into a binder. That goes in the in floor safe.

I always carry copies </div></div>
All 50? </div></div>

Each Copy stays with the item.... They are mostly bolt guns so I keep a copy in the stock pack.
laugh.gif

I did the scan to pdf and on my iPhone thing to. Trying to carry around multiple copies seemed like a pain and that way my wife can have them to (for the trust).

But it was my understanding (ATF call) that you don't have to have them on you at all times. Anyone have anything to support or refute this info?

all i know is it's about proof, gotta be able to prove to whoever whenever that you are the legal owner. Too easy to keep copies with the cans or miniturized in your wallet, save alot of grief if the need came up.

Found an answer, sorta

Q: Does the owner of a registered NFA firearm have to have any evidence to show it is registered lawfully to him or her?
Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner’s name. This document must be kept available for inspection by <span style="font-weight: bold">ATF officers</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">It is suggested</span> that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#owner-evidence

I understand the "easier to keep a copy" philosophy, I just wanted to know the actual regulations.

So one only has to be able to prove it to an ATF officer, but if a city officer thinks you are in violation can he detain you until an ATF officer can verify? How long would that take? Say you forgot your paperwork/grabbed the wrong bag/phone battery died, can he just call the ATF to check? It should just come up as a registered firearm as well correct?

This shit is to complex, time to get rid of the suppressor NFA portion and make them required at all gun ranges. Or hand them out like condoms at the health clinic. I'll take two please, just in case I decide to shoot in the morning too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found an answer, sorta

Q: Does the owner of a registered NFA firearm have to have any evidence to show it is registered lawfully to him or her?
Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner’s name. This document must be kept available for inspection by <span style="font-weight: bold">ATF officers</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">It is suggested</span> that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#owner-evidence

I understand the "easier to keep a copy" philosophy, I just wanted to know the actual regulations.

So one only has to be able to prove it to an ATF officer, but if a city officer thinks you are in violation can he detain you until an ATF officer can verify? How long would that take? Say you forgot your paperwork/grabbed the wrong bag/phone battery died, can he just call the ATF to check? It should just come up as a registered firearm as well correct?

This shit is to complex, time to get rid of the suppressor NFA portion and make them required at all gun ranges. Or hand them out like condoms at the health clinic. I'll take two please, just in case I decide to shoot in the morning too. </div></div>

but....but...the children...they, THE CHILDREN....just like in the movies....the children....guns kill....shoulder thing....children...

I don't think carrying copies of your form-x's has as much to do with the ATF needing it as does with the random fucktard nobody that wants to take issue over it.

Like probably everyone here, I've never been asked to show paperwork, nor do I ever expect to. It's going to be some unwashed TSA prick, gun club board douche, or city kitty LEO that doesn't have full grasp of the law who wants to be hero for the day and make a big deal over the illegalz ninjee gear. When that day comes, I'll have my show and tell paperwork in order so that learning can take place.

but....but...the children...they, THE CHILDREN....just like in the movies....the children....guns kill....shoulder thing....children...[/quote]

This is a perfect rendition of the classic argument. LOL

Ditto to everything else here. Copy all the way. No way I'd ever carry the original around with me.

COPY. Most people including LEOs dont know what a ligit from 4 looks like anyhow.

k9g

just a FYI.. the police have zero right to look at a form 4... it is legally a privet tax document.. and only you and the ATF have any right to see it.

other then that.. like everyone else said... copy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just a FYI.. the police have zero right to look at a form 4... it is legally a privet tax document.. and only you and the ATF have any right to see it.

other then that.. like everyone else said... copy... </div></div>

I agree with the legal right thing. However the range asks me to see the papers on my SBRs every time I go. If I refuse, then they don't let me shoot. I play along so I can use their range. Their house, their rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found an answer, sorta

This shit is to complex, time to get rid of the suppressor NFA portion and make them required at all gun ranges. Or hand them out like condoms at the health clinic. I'll take two please, just in case I decide to shoot in the morning too. </div></div>

but....but...the children...they, THE CHILDREN....just like in the movies....the children....guns kill....<span style="color: #FF0000">shoulder thing</span>....children... </div></div>

Haha, did you see that video of the politician who wanted to ban guns including the barrel shrouds. I've heard they also make "heat seeking bullets." Lol.

Copy.

You'll probably notice that you will start accumulating NFA items rather quickly. Soon you'll have 4-5 copies and will inevitably need the one you don't have.

I recommend starting a small folder/binder with a copy of all your NFA items. When you get a new one, add a copy and you'll always be GTG as long as you have your binder.

As everyone else has stated, gun ranges are the only place I've ever even had to flash a Form 3/4. One time we ran beltfed machineguns all day and the local police got called. Their reply to the person who called the police was simply 'they are on their property, shooting at a properly sized backstop' and left without even coming over to talk to us.

Parker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just a FYI.. the police have zero right to look at a form 4... it is legally a privet tax document.. and only you and the ATF have any right to see it.

other then that.. like everyone else said... copy...</div></div>

Well they might have zero right, but I'd play along to a point. Us "latino" guys don't have much luck arguing w/ the police. Learned that at a young age.
grin.gif

LOL. Latino that's funny

I keep a copy of my stamp paperwork in the form of laminated business cards

Works great and always on me

it's not a question of who has the "right" to see it. The NFA items are illegal......but your form 4 provides you with an absolute defense. So, do you not want to show it to the officer when he asks??? Dont even go there. Back when I lived in an NFA state, I always made sure to keep a copy and happy to show it to any authority who asked.

^^^ Good Point ^^^
For the longest time, I did most of my shooting on private property. Which is probaly the reason that I've rarely been asked for it. Like others, I keep copies sitting in each bag that could possibly be dragged to the range.

My biggest worry would be getting pulled over while driving to and from the range. I'd be nuts to carry the paperwork or argue about showing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's not a question of who has the "right" to see it. The NFA items are illegal......but your form 4 provides you with an absolute defense. So, do you not want to show it to the officer when he asks??? Dont even go there. Back when I lived in an NFA state, I always made sure to keep a copy and happy to show it to any authority who asked. </div></div>

Sounds like a guilty 'til proven innocent mentality to me. But I don't really care about the local LEO asking me, it's the numb nuts RSO at the range that bothers me ever single time I'm at the range.