• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cordless tools, how far they have come.....

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
Something a little lighter for a change.

I took both of these drills out of the box new, only about 50 years apart.....good god 50 years.

The Makita was "it". The drill, top of the line and in its day was flat amazing. Nothing came close, there was nothing else when it came out.

I doubt the Milwaukee ever was top of the line, but it is a good drill, and has been used quite a bit. And taken a great deal of abuse.

The Makita died many years ago, and for some reason I hung onto it. Likely because it was so expensive when I bought it. About a year ago I decided to see what was wrong with it, and see if I could fix it. Sure enough, just a wire off the mechanical trigger was the issue, little solder and the drill turned. I ordered some new Amazon batteries and the think works. But man it sucks next to that "new" drill.

I remember having a bunch of batteries for the thing, and changing them all the time, but don't remember this little power. But I think it has not lost much over the years, I think the new tools have just gotten that much better.

So in an effort to lighten up a bit, do you have any old tools that you kept and still use on at least a once and a while basis.

I do still use the Makita, and it makes me smile with every hole, and every screw. If you are really "trying to get something done" it is not the tool to grab, but if you are "goofing around", it does bring something to the table that the new tools just cant.

1705504307084.png

Yes sir, lithium batteries and brushless motors are pretty incredible for handheld power tools. I've been on a spree upgrading all my stuff the past year. I think the only thing I still want is the jigsaw, hoping the wife gets me that for my birthday.

Wait until you buy a 1/2” impact from Milwaukee or dewalt.

I love that thing. Takes wheels off no problem.

Hell I took my whole motor (5.7 hemi) with a 1/2” impact and the impact driver you get in the kit with the drill lol.

Power tools have came a long way and make things easier.

If I could go back I would buy all Milwaukee. Their tools for auto mechanics have been awesome.

The Milwaukee Fuel M12 and M18 brushless are great. I have the small M12 brushless 1/4" impact driver and the older M12 brushed driver, no comparison between the two. I do not use any of my air tools anymore either. The impacts and ratchets run circles around the old air tools.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
My newer m12 fuel 1/4” impact has the same power as my first M18 1/4” impact.

I have a Gen 2 1/2” high torque impact. It did Honda crank bolts that most air impacts won't do (roughly 800 ft lbs). Lug nuts are nothing, my trucks only take 160 ft lbs.

That old Makita was basically a power screwdriver. You can get the same thing now in 7v dewilt screwdriver.

Reactions: lash

Hell I took my whole motor (5.7 hemi) with a 1/2” impact and the impact driver you get in the kit with the drill lol.

If I could go back I would buy all Milwaukee. Their tools for auto mechanics have been awesome.
You should try the snap on versions. They're stronger then any air impact I've ever had and break less bolts. Been slowly upgrading all my warn out DeWalt and Milwaukee stuff. The difference is crazy but so is the price

looks like a milwaukee impact driver or screwdriver.

battery powered tools are the ticket these days. i have replaced most every hand tool i have with various m12 and m18 tools. so much nicer without the damn cord fucking you up.
I still use my M28 drill. Its got enough torque to break your wrist if it hits a nail. Sad part is replacement batteries are $160 or so, Next time I replace one I might just buy a new 18 volt set.

1705510762503.png

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Even good, “professional grade” cordless tools from 10 years ago don’t compare to what they’re making now. Back in my steel erecting days, the cordless 18v impacts were handy, but constantly changing batteries and dealing with too hot/cold, had me stringing 100’s of feet of cords around the jobsite just to have something reliable. Now, the outfit I spent the majority of my time with has gone to almost completely cordless and can run the impacts a legitimate 6 hours driving metal to metal screws with one battery swap at lunch time. It’s pretty impressive

I got mine right when this all went down. I was on the fence for a long time, it is an expensive tool. But then I found out about this little issue and went to get one. Had to go two towns over to find the "right" one, but I have it, and it is a monster.

I still use my M28 drill. Its got enough torque to break your wrist if it hits a nail. Sad part is replacement batteries are $160 or so, Next time I replace one I might just buy a new 18 volt set.

View attachment 8325537

That is the thing that is so hard, toss a good tool because of batteries.

A while ago, not going to say 10 years because some idiot will say it was 12 years ago......I just picked a color and went with it. Really it was yellow or red, I just picked red as there was a sale right then on them.

Once in a blue moon some other brand will have something and I will think......you know..... but no just sticking with one color of batteries, even if it really is two, 12 and 18.

I had just gotten mad that batteries had changed yet again, and I was going to be searching high and low for batteries again. Back then team red and yellow said we are sticking with this battery configuration, batteries might be different themselves but we are sticking with this same "pack" format. Both red and yellow told me that way back when.

I still have a monster of a 1/2 drill by B&D that I can't find a battery for. Might build my own.....and that drill was a monster like you talk about yours.

Reactions: myronman3
Even good, “professional grade” cordless tools from 10 years ago don’t compare to what they’re making now. Back in my steel erecting days, the cordless 18v impacts were handy, but constantly changing batteries and dealing with too hot/cold, had me stringing 100’s of feet of cords around the jobsite just to have something reliable. Now, the outfit I spent the majority of my time with has gone to almost completely cordless and can run the impacts a legitimate 6 hours driving metal to metal screws with one battery swap at lunch time. It’s pretty impressive

I looked and played with one of their chain saws at a farm show a while back. Battery powered chain saw, yea right was what everyone thought...fooled everyone. Not up to a "real" gas chainsaw, but if you are just doing "smaller" things, about any limb you can think of, and entire trees the thing was impressive.

Issue is the things are $500, or $499 for those not able to get into the ball park. That is a bit of money....but sure would be nice to just grab and go. It is in my future.

This thing however, and why are they so expensive I have no idea is just fantastic. After years of saying I am not going to pay that for a grease gun I finally did. OMG is it ever so nice.

Not sure it would be in the class of tools where have you been all my life, but it is sure close. Might make it if it was not so expensive.

1705514168060.png

I remember buying craftsman 12 volt drill back in the 80's the batteries didn't last very long , then bought a kit by Dewalt with the saw , drill ,Sawzall and light 18 volt in the late 90's nicad batteries , still have it , but started buying ryobi tools 18volt lithium about 15 years ago and man what a difference, I've got some of the 4ah batteries that are 10 years old that still work , got some that don't too but I buy new ones when they're on sale so keep a good supply of them on hand , also got 2 18volt lithium batteries for the Dewalt tools but only because I have a cordless grease gun and bandsaw by Dewalt, I've used the shit out of my ryobi drills and driver/ impacts and the 4-1/2 grinders and yes I have burned several up but after many hrs of abuse and I mean hard use too .greats tools these cordless wonders , another tool that really changed the way I worked was the Lazer level the Bosch in particular, man what a time saver.

50 years???

That makita started production in 1981... that math dont work out

I was selling tools like that Makita drill for $400 in the late 1980's and they had been around for a while, so 1981 is probably close

and those batteries didn't last for shit compared to the cheap ass 18v Ryobi cordless of today...

I took both of these drills out of the box new, only about 50 years apart.....good god 50 years.

The Makita was "it". The drill, top of the line and in its day was flat amazing. Nothing came close, there was nothing else when it came out.

I doubt the Milwaukee ever was top of the line, but it is a good drill, and has been used quite a bit. And taken a great deal of abuse.

The Makita died many years ago, and for some reason I hung onto it. Likely because it was so expensive when I bought it. About a year ago I decided to see what was wrong with it, and see if I could fix it. Sure enough, just a wire off the mechanical trigger was the issue, little solder and the drill turned. I ordered some new Amazon batteries and the think works. But man it sucks next to that "new" drill.

I remember having a bunch of batteries for the thing, and changing them all the time, but don't remember this little power. But I think it has not lost much over the years, I think the new tools have just gotten that much better.

So in an effort to lighten up a bit, do you have any old tools that you kept and still use on at least a once and a while basis.

I do still use the Makita, and it makes me smile with every hole, and every screw. If you are really "trying to get something done" it is not the tool to grab, but if you are "goofing around", it does bring something to the table that the new tools just cant.

View attachment 8325486
You guys and your anti-Teamster tools.
A bunch of unionbusting that's all I see.

I have that exact same 9.6v Makita drill.
Some day I might get around to taking off the industrial Jacobs chuck I put on it.....made a night and day difference at the time.
Then, it goes in the trash.

Have a large assortment of Milliwalkee (spelled wrong intentionally) 18v tools.
I have a 1/2" impact....rarely use it after I got the high torque compact 3/8" brushless impact.
That little 3/8 will do a serious 250 or so ft lbs of torque.....very quick, very light, uber powerful.
The 1/2" is big, it's heavy, it's awkward to manipulate.
I have a 1/2 Ingersol titanium air impact I will go to every time unless I'm out in a field and need the cordless benefit, it weighs 1/3 of what the cordless does and puts out much better power.

The full size sawzall is nice, the smaller hackzall ain't bad.
The weedwacker kicks ass, and the pole trimmer works well.

You should try the snap on versions. They're stronger then any air impact I've ever had and break less bolts. Been slowly upgrading all my warn out DeWalt and Milwaukee stuff. The difference is crazy but so is the price
I have a buddy that owns a shop that does it for a living. He has all the snap on tools and they are bad ass. Saw him break off wheel studs with the impact lol.

I can’t afford them though I’m still building my toy trucks laying on the gravel driveway! Lol

This is the only reason every time my dad is bitching about electric cars I stop him and ask how he likes his 1/2” battery impact among others. There will be a day.

And no I don’t like any electric car I could ever afford either. Currently.

For old tools 1/2hp corded craftsman drill from late 70s I believe. Always hope the bit doesn’t get stuck.

This past Christmas My Lady noticed that Makita is the first one to bring out the 'cordless microwave' so that pizza-pops can get heated on the jobsite.

I'm waiting to see what else is going to be created 'cordless'....
Wth lmao.

This real?

Holy shit

Makita MW001GZ 40V MAX XGT Lithium-Ion 1.5 cu-ft. Cordless Microwave (Tool Only) https://a.co/d/czLgM9D

Hell buy a traeger and take it to the job sights!

My newer m12 fuel 1/4” impact has the same power as my first M18 1/4” impact.

I have a Gen 2 1/2” high torque impact. It did Honda crank bolts that most air impacts won't do (roughly 800 ft lbs). Lug nuts are nothing, my trucks only take 160 ft lbs.

That old Makita was basically a power screwdriver. You can get the same thing now in 7v dewilt screwdriver.
Yes they have, we no longer upfit our service trucks with generators and air compressors. I still at times need an air hammer or die grinder, but our trucks are stocked with dry nitrogen and just use that if I need and air tool which is hardly ever anymore. Battery ratchet is my tool I use the most, followed by a 1/2 and 3/8 impact. They are so much better than 20yrs ago.

Reactions: AmmoFort and lash
We used to bring in our portable camp bbq's into the shop at the mill, when working nightshift. The production guys would catch whiff's of us grilling while working.

Always went over well, especially when inviting the forman for lunch. HA.

View attachment 8325486
Wow! Blast from the past. Back in ‘81, I was a custom cabinetmaker and those Makitas made life ten times better. Still had to use a corded drill to drive the Jorgensen drive 4” screws for wall mounts, but for hanging doors and drawers, etc. the Makita was the cats ass.

Just this past fall I finally broke down and bought a cordless Dewalt pole saw and also the hedge trimmer attachment. I’m impressed and it makes keeping the trees and bushes in check super easy as compared to before. They are actually quality tools and the batteries last.

Reactions: IronSkillet
word of advice for those getting into the game....wait for the sales. you can get killer deals and save some fat cash when they have those sales. know what you are buying though....there is brushed, brushless, and fuel versions of almost every tool. and before you buy anything, go through the ENTIRE list. scrolling all the way through the list saved me big time. things that populated first were more expensive. scroll 1/2 way through and the same tool/kit/battery could be had at a huge discount.

Reactions: Redmanss and lash
The Makita Roomba is pretty badass, it makes laps around the shop all day picking up shit I never thought it could.

This past Christmas My Lady noticed that Makita is the first one to bring out the 'cordless microwave' so that pizza-pops can get heated on the jobsite.

I'm waiting to see what else is going to be created 'cordless'....

Cordless railguns and plasma cutters...

Both tools and implements of security. Dial em low to drive nails, dial em midrange for blue helmet fucks, dial em high and on burst for blue helmet fucks in APCs. And the plasma cutter? For blue helmet fucks when they try to rape and brutalize people. ZZZZZT suddenly limbs cauterized clean off.

BTW DeWALT master race checking in. I use mine so much every day that they are permanent ornaments on my belt. 😂

Have a Milwaukee cordless 18v wet/dry shop vac. Serious power, long battery life and super handy in the reloading room.

Have you tried the universal-fit bucket powerhead vacs? They clip onto ANY old spackle bucket and you instantly got a vac. Bucket gets dirty, discard. Wipe down the power unit and you are GTG. We use them all over our worksites because one thing we got a lot of are buckets after the work is done.

I have that exact same 9.6v Makita drill.
Some day I might get around to taking off the industrial Jacobs chuck I put on it.....made a night and day difference at the time.
Then, it goes in the trash.

Have a large assortment of Milliwalkee (spelled wrong intentionally) 18v tools.
I have a 1/2" impact....rarely use it after I got the high torque compact 3/8" brushless impact.
That little 3/8 will do a serious 250 or so ft lbs of torque.....very quick, very light, uber powerful.
The 1/2" is big, it's heavy, it's awkward to manipulate.
I have a 1/2 Ingersol titanium air impact I will go to every time unless I'm out in a field and need the cordless benefit, it weighs 1/3 of what the cordless does and puts out much better power.

The full size sawzall is nice, the smaller hackzall ain't bad.
The weedwacker kicks ass, and the pole trimmer works well.

I was thinking about this after cleaning up the shop last night. I have not used my air tools in a long time. The impacts, ratchets, all pretty much sit. The only thing I use are the grinders. A little lighter then the corded grinders (I don't have a wireless) and you can wiggle them into tighter spots. One thing I do remember now is that air coming out of the tool is F-ING cold when it is 20 outside, warmed to 40 in the shop. Make your hand holding it hurt using it cold. I think it is the old broken bones in my hands, they just ache when they get cold.

I have not used the ratchet in forever, same with the impact. Yes I did post up a little impact in the photo, but it was enough to get the point across to most people.

I just don't use the air like I once did. Bought a new compressor a few years ago after the old one started to worry me. Draining it had little chunks in it, I think it was rusting inside after 30 years....or so.....(again for some people) and it was time for a new. Tough time going with a large 60 or something smaller. I went with a 30ish gal and have been happy with it. Cutting up the VW I need to wait now and again, but it is not too bad.

This is the only reason every time my dad is bitching about electric cars I stop him and ask how he likes his 1/2” battery impact among others. There will be a day.

And no I don’t like any electric car I could ever afford either. Currently.

For old tools 1/2hp corded craftsman drill from late 70s I believe. Always hope the bit doesn’t get stuck.

I don't want to side rail what is to be a "break from the mess type thread", but there is a very large difference between EV's and electric tools. Perhaps another thread.....likely pointless cat is out of the bag and the bad mojo will now be flowing.

I will drop this into here for you all to check out.

The tool business is not as large as you think it is.

TTI and SBD are the big players in the game, I bet if playing darts you are going to land on one of those two.

What does stand out to me is Makita, standing all alone just them. I like that, but already made my choice.

Talk in tool threads are the "bleed down" into the "lesser brands" of power tools. How the "crap" tools are actually getting fairly good now. And is that extra money you are spending really buying you all that much. Look up some current reviews on Heart, and the HF offerings. It is interesting.

HF is a bit of a tougher nut to crack, being a totally private company they don't have to tell the world every speck of their business. I also like that. And just like the Makita drill, HF is not the same company it was in the 1980's as well. I have seen people call it the new Sears tool section.

1705577888223.png

I have a buddy that owns a shop that does it for a living. He has all the snap on tools and they are bad ass. Saw him break off wheel studs with the impact lol.

I can’t afford them though I’m still building my toy trucks laying on the gravel driveway! Lol
If I didn't rely on them for a living there's no way I'd spend the money on them

I had one of those Makita's too. worked great and it kept up with all the newer Dewalts for a long time.

But when the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore it got to be not worth it compared to just buying a new one.

I've been slowly switching to M18. I should get the impact, but I'm still sticking with air for now. I have a feeling though that I'll be switching that soon. It will certainly make more room in my garage to get rid of the stand up compressor

Used the hell out of those original makitas in my early days but them batteries were shit entirely. Had a Milwaukee(sucks) for a few years until I switched to Dewalt. They have the best lasting batteries period!

I had one of those Makita's too. worked great and it kept up with all the newer Dewalts for a long time.

But when the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore it got to be not worth it compared to just buying a new one.

I've been slowly switching to M18. I should get the impact, but I'm still sticking with air for now. I have a feeling though that I'll be switching that soon. It will certainly make more room in my garage to get rid of the stand up compressor
I am not sure why I decided to fix the old drill. I found the drill charger case and battery and just the bug bit me. I bet I have $50 in getting it going again. Make no mistake that $50 going to a new drill, I would go as far to say any new drill would be money better spent if you want the job done.

I really got it working for old time sake.

For some reason it just makes me smile when using the old gal. She may not be a 10 anymore, but she still has enough to keep me going back to her.

I looked and played with one of their chain saws at a farm show a while back. Battery powered chain saw, yea right was what everyone thought...fooled everyone. Not up to a "real" gas chainsaw, but if you are just doing "smaller" things, about any limb you can think of, and entire trees the thing was impressive.

Issue is the things are $500, or $499 for those not able to get into the ball park. That is a bit of money....but sure would be nice to just grab and go. It is in my future.

This thing however, and why are they so expensive I have no idea is just fantastic. After years of saying I am not going to pay that for a grease gun I finally did. OMG is it ever so nice.

Not sure it would be in the class of tools where have you been all my life, but it is sure close. Might make it if it was not so expensive.

View attachment 8325586
I bought the Milwaukee chainsaw/leaf blower kit a few years back on sale, great purchase in the kit and easy to find at 10+% off at farm supply stores when they run their storewide sales (i.e. Tractor Supply, Bomgaars, etc). The blower does 95% of my snow removal from the vehicles, can clean off the whole work truck in about a minute with it so long as it isn't a wet snow which isn't common for the prairie. The chainsaw is okay, haven't used it much and chain tension adjustment is finicky, but certainly runs well for basic homeowner use lopping larger limbs or moderate level cleanup after storm damage.

For work, I probably have $3k worth of MW tools on the truck that I use near daily. I won't touch anything that isn't "FUEL" brushless, battery life and power really is a huge difference between the two. Agree that grease gun is $$$ too, cuts the amount of time it takes me to grease to 1/4 that running a standard hand pump grease gun, big advantage when I have 20 zerks to get to and five minutes to get the job done.

The one thing they don't do is fully replace everything if you work in extreme temps. When it's negative temps out, impacts and drills don't work for shit and we're breaking back out the hydraulics while other tools we don't have alternatives for have to stay in the cab and limit use outside. Same for when it breaks 100°F, battery tools start to fail and we're getting back out the hydraulics.

I bought the Milwaukee chainsaw/leaf blower kit a few years back on sale, great purchase in the kit and easy to find at 10+% off at farm supply stores when they run their storewide sales (i.e. Tractor Supply, Bomgaars, etc). The blower does 95% of my snow removal from the vehicles, can clean off the whole work truck in about a minute with it so long as it isn't a wet snow which isn't common for the prairie. The chainsaw is okay, haven't used it much and chain tension adjustment is finicky, but certainly runs well for basic homeowner use lopping larger limbs or moderate level cleanup after storm damage.

For work, I probably have $3k worth of MW tools on the truck that I use near daily. I won't touch anything that isn't "FUEL" brushless, battery life and power really is a huge difference between the two. Agree that grease gun is $$$ too, cuts the amount of time it takes me to grease to 1/4 that running a standard hand pump grease gun, big advantage when I have 20 zerks to get to and five minutes to get the job done.

The one thing they don't do is fully replace everything if you work in extreme temps. When it's negative temps out, impacts and drills don't work for shit and we're breaking back out the hydraulics while other tools we don't have alternatives for have to stay in the cab and limit use outside. Same for when it breaks 100°F, battery tools start to fail and we're getting back out the hydraulics.
Between the tractor with a loader and backhoe, the old ford, and that ferris mower I bet there are 50 fittings I do every three months in the summer. It got old quick, but dog it is a lot of money. Finally the wife said, you know I am sick at you drooling over those things every time we go to home depot, just buy the thing or I will. We bought it, and without a doubt it is a time saver. We also run 3 smaller riders around the house, it seems everything needs grease, and I try to do them all at the same time, or I will forget what is done and what is not.

I do little notes in plastic baggies but just the date is easy for most things. I will go for hours on filter changes and such, things that cost real money.

Reactions: Redmanss