• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cork Board Hit "sheet" for Data book.

topdog134

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
South GA
I was talking with my uncle (retired Marine) the other day and he gave me an idea I wanted to throw out and see what others thought. And get some help brainstorming.

- Issue #1 -
Meat and Potatoes. He suggested taking a cork "bulletin" type board to range, so that my spotter could simply put a push pin in it for my actual hit after I called my shot. His thought was it would give the ability to see where I hit at a glance.

He thought take the pin out after each shot but I thought maybe keep them in at least for each group you shoot, then you could transfer the data onto paper in your log.

- Issue #2 -
Target Shape. I like to change what type of target I shoot (circle, man, square, triangle, etc...) so that I don’t get "complacent" with a single type.

What would be a solution to putting that target on the cork? All I could come up with is putting a paper target on the cork. I was hoppen to eliminate some paper with the idea and that method would just add things to take that may not be needed.

- Issue #3-
Size. I had considered the same size as my data book with a custom top border wide enough to drill holes to insert in data book rings. Or should I go bigger.

Here are a couple of concept drawings I made.

--Front View--
2012-01-17_18-47-40_849.jpg

--Back View--
2012-01-17_18-47-21_573.jpg

I look forward to hearing what you think. And please remember that if you feel like taking my idea and running with it that is more than fine, but if you happen to become the bill gate of the shooting world after reading this, remember the little guys.

Re: Cork Board Hit "sheet" for Data book.

Sounds mighty interesting, but if I may make a suggestion when it comes to pins. The thinner, longer ones with the little, colored ball on top could provide a better representation of your grouping by not having that annoying lip that most common pushpins have. Those ones will take up room, and make your grouping look larger than what it really is.

As for a way to fasten the cork to the board, I would say use either those steel rings with clasp on them, or size the holes up for say, some paracord, or some Grimloc carabiners. Even those Nite-Ize S-clips could work perfectly if the holes are large enough.

Just think about the end user and the tiny amount of stuff he may have to work with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds mighty interesting, but if I may make a suggestion ...

</div></div> of course you can.

thanks for the help. those were the ins i was thinking of the slider little ball ones.

I hope my OP didnt get messed up going from brain to keys. I did like the suggestions about <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...some paracord, or some Grimloc carabiners. Even those Nite-Ize S-clips could work perfectly ...</div></div>

My intentions about holes were to basically drill holes in the frame of any old cork board for storage in my data book. Ill try to sketch one up this afternoon and add a concept. I even thought just thought of the little thing on the back of picture frames to stand it up. I'll get my wife to help proof my OP and make sure it all makes sense cause I obviously see the idea in my head. thanks again.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd say you could try to use an industrial sharpie to put the target shapes on there. Maybe make it double sided to accommodate a few different options.

Interested to see your results when its done.

Have you considered small thin dry erase boards that are magnetic. You can get them relatively thin. You can take vinyl or plastic tape (thin pin striping tape)and mark the shape of your target them either use a erasable marker to mark your shots or if the board is magnetic you can use small magnets.

If I was do use this, I would op for the small magnetic board with magnets. It would be easiest and you could always draw the target shape on it or even just use a marker to plot instead.

^^ Beat me to it. A small white board with colored magnets. You can use dry erase or tape a target on there. Also you can slide the magnets and they wont fall off.

Something like the dorm room door hangers would work.

For target shapes on the cork board you could use pins to somewhat shape out your target and use some string to make the outside lines of the target.

Office Depot sells a peel and stick dry erase sheet that you could stick onto a a piece of heavy paper and insert into your data book.

Peel & Stick Sheets

They're not magnetic, but you could draw the target and use colored markers to ID your shots. Then erase it with a small rag.

I think I just found my next project.

Instead of cork (which was a good idea by the way). Why not get yourself a small metal sheet (which magnets can stick too). Spray paint it with gloss white paint. Drill holes so you can put it into your binder. Cut little circles out of that magnetic strip stuff and number them. Then, you could use a dry erase marker to draw your target shape on the gloss white paint. Then, when you are done, wipe the dry erase marker off the metal plate and just leave the little magnetic circles in place for the next time you shoot. All this could easily be kept inside your shooting logbook and when you are done shooting, you can simply transpose your shot placement onto paper with your pen/pencil.

God damn it ...... didn't read all the replies. Someone beat me to it ...... LOL.

Do you still get white plastic "fillers" in various military issue ammo cans?

We used to use this stuff as a white board material as part of our orders books and write on it in either permanent or non permanet marker pens and/or chinogragh pencils..

Even the ink from most of the so called permanent markers could be erased using a little white gas or similar..

Cork board and pins sounds like an overly complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist..

I dont think I would use it but defintly +1 on using the longer pins with the balls and maybe using multiple colors so say red is shot 1 blue is shot 2 and green is shot 3 or whatever you happen to work out.

I just picked up a stick on white board sticker from Staples for 3.99 and some small fine point white board markers. Now I have a nice little white board for my log book. I'm going to scrap the magnet idea since they would be too big. I'll just mark with a marker.

Thanks to the OP for posting up the idea.

Thanks for input guys. I think I will change gears to some sort of magnet system. I like the thin metal idea (to cut down on space). I might even add the stick on white board idea to it so that I have a good surface for the markers.

On that note I reminisced back to the overhead projectors we had in school. ?They used a wet erase marker that might work just right to draw the targets and then use dry erase for the shot groups so they would erase before the target. Next time I have some free time to piddle I'll give it a go and see what happens and let yall know.

Thanks Again